DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Icon
761 Posts
Depends what your arms are going for these days. You can find a new Harmony on eBay for well under $100, and used ones for less. Works with just about anything. You can get a Marantz RC2000 MKii for dirt cheap these days, and I know from experience it works with Tivo (R10) and R15 both.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
ApK said:
Depends what your arms are going for these days. You can find a new Harmony on eBay for well under $100, and used ones for less. Works with just about anything. You can get a Marantz RC2000 MKii for dirt cheap these days, and I know from experience it works with Tivo (R10) and R15 both.
I've been using one of these Harmony remotes for a few weeks now and it's WELL WORTH the $90 (paid for new) it set me back. Makes up for all the $20 universal remotes I've used and thrown away throughout the years. :)

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
I am very impressed with my Harmony 880 ($170 at amazon.com) which I use with both a HDVR2 and a H20. The only weakness is making contact with the charging base. I probably would have been just as happy with a cheaper model which doesn't use a rechargeable battery.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
1+ for the Harmony 880

but depends on what you want the universal remote to control and how much functionality you want out of it

·
Icon
761 Posts
FWIW, we use the Harmony 676. It's much cheaper than the 880, has all the buttons we want, and it works fine, but the silver "directional control ring" is a horrible design. Descrete direction buttons are the way to go if you have the choice. Also, the backlight button is in a silly spot. If one of the Harmony remotes has all the buttons and features but descrete direction controls and a backlight button located on the side or at least out of the way, that would be ideal.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Kichigai said:
Has anyone found a universal remote for the R10 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks
I have 3 R10 remotes in the closet. You need one? I use a Home Theater Master MX-500, which I like fine, $69 at newegg.com.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
ApK said:
FWIW, we use the Harmony 676. It's much cheaper than the 880, has all the buttons we want, and it works fine, but the silver "directional control ring" is a horrible design. Descrete direction buttons are the way to go if you have the choice. Also, the backlight button is in a silly spot. If one of the Harmony remotes has all the buttons and features but descrete direction controls and a backlight button located on the side or at least out of the way, that would be ideal.
I have this remote as well and I agree that the silver control ring takes a little getting used to. In the remote preference section of the remote setup, I configured it to glow each time ANY button is pushed. It ends up being a work around for the glow button (which I agree) is in an awkward spot. Beyond that, it's an excellent remote.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.