DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vip622 that came with 2 remotes. the number 1 remote is causing me a problem.

The remote is set to the Stereo being the volume control.

for some reason whenever I select TV to change the TV/Vid (or just select TV for any reason) it forgets the stereo code. then I have to reporgram it and it works untill i hit TV for any reason again..

argh.. ideas?

e..b

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
eatonjb said:
I have a vip622 that came with 2 remotes. the number 1 remote is causing me a problem.

The remote is set to the Stereo being the volume control.

for some reason whenever I select TV to change the TV/Vid (or just select TV for any reason) it forgets the stereo code. then I have to reporgram it and it works untill i hit TV for any reason again..

argh.. ideas?

e..b
I have 2 remotes from my older 811 receiver and 1 newer one (blue fast forward button) for my new 211 install. All 3 remotes work on the 211.

And ALL THREE remotes (both old and new) exhibit this same problem. But, not by simply selecting TV as you mentioned. Here is what I determined;

Note: The AUX volume overwrite is in place so that the remote's VOLUME always controls the AUX amplifier volume "not" the TV volume.

Problem: If you select the TV button and inadvertently press the VOLUME control, the AUX code gets immediately kicked out... lost... and must be reprogrammed into the remote.

I tested other scenerios like pressing TV and bringing up the MENU and navigating thru it. But, this did not cause the lost AUX code... only pressing VOLUME while the TV mode is active causes it. You will notice when pressing VOLUME in TV mode, the AUX button flashes once quickly, only momentarily (does not stay on for the duration of the VOLUME press).

See of you can verify this on yours.

I've reported this to Dish twice and had them send a report up the chain to tech.

You mention this does not happen on your other two remotes. Are all three of your remotes the same? Is there anything unique you can share about the two that do not seem to exhibit this problem? Thanks!!!

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spirit said:
I have 2 remotes from my older 811 receiver and 1 newer one (blue fast forward button) for my new 211 install. All 3 remotes work on the 211.

And ALL THREE remotes (both old and new) exhibit this same problem. But, not by simply selecting TV as you mentioned. Here is what I determined;

Note: The AUX volume overwrite is in place so that the remote's VOLUME always controls the AUX amplifier volume "not" the TV volume.

Problem: If you select the TV button and inadvertently press the VOLUME control, the AUX code gets immediately kicked out... lost... and must be reprogrammed into the remote.

I tested other scenerios like pressing TV and bringing up the MENU and navigating thru it. But, this did not cause the lost AUX code... only pressing VOLUME while the TV mode is active causes it. You will notice when pressing VOLUME in TV mode, the AUX button flashes once quickly, only momentarily (does not stay on for the duration of the VOLUME press).

See of you can verify this on yours.

I've reported this to Dish twice and had them send a report up the chain to tech.

You mention this does not happen on your other two remotes. Are all three of your remotes the same? Is there anything unique you can share about the two that do not seem to exhibit this problem? Thanks!!!
I tried it.. no matter what I do, in TV mode, and the go back to SAT to AUX the volume of my reciver is DEAD!!

so dumb!!

killer is there is no good universal remotes that are good for anything!!! some of them dont have the good buttons, and them , my reciver has 2-way remote, so most of thoes functions dont work..

sigh.. cant win.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
eatonjb said:
I tried it.. no matter what I do, in TV mode, and the go back to SAT to AUX the volume of my reciver is DEAD!!

so dumb!!

killer is there is no good universal remotes that are good for anything!!! some of them dont have the good buttons, and them , my reciver has 2-way remote, so most of thoes functions dont work..

sigh.. cant win.
I'm just curious, in trying to sort this out, the following are the numbers off the rear of my remotes;

For the 811 receiver:
---------------------------
(Also can control the VIP211)

IR/UHF Pro

DVR/VCR control buttons colored all Black, except Pause = Yellow.
Bottom slide-out tab set to Black color "UHF ".

For the VIP211 (IR only):
--------------------------------
5.3 IR

VCR/DVR controls colored Red, Green, Yellow, Blue and Pause = Black.
Bottom slide-out tab set to Silver "blank".

I'd be curious what numbers you have on yours... both the ones you do NOT have a problem with and those you do. Thanks.

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spirit said:
I'm just curious, in trying to sort this out, the following are the numbers off the rear of my remotes;

For the 811 receiver:
(Also can control the VIP211)

IR/UHF Pro

DVR/VCR control buttons colored all Black, except Pause = Yellow.
Bottom slide-out tab set to Black color "UHF ".

For the VIP211 (IR only):
5.3 IR

VCR/DVR controls colored Red, Green, Yellow, Blue and Pause = Black.
Bottom slide-out tab set to Silver "blank".

I'd be curious what numbers you have on yours... both the ones you do NOT have a problem with and those you do. Thanks.
my 622 came with 2 remotes.. 1 i use only for the TV vol, there is no reciver, never tried it

5.3 IR, 143129
made in good ol Mexico.

·
9 Posts
I think I've been having the same problem. While playing with it, I've discovered that if you press the TV power button, the aux functionality comes back. It's still a kludgey workaround, but it gets around having to reprogram the remote. Just remember to block the IR transmitter so the TV doesn't actually turn off.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
George Jetson said:
I think I've been having the same problem. While playing with it, I've discovered that if you press the TV power button, the aux functionality comes back. It's still a kludgey workaround, but it gets around having to reprogram the remote. Just remember to block the IR transmitter so the TV doesn't actually turn off.
George,
Could you post your exact proceedure? I tried that and it didn't work, this is what I did;
1. press TV button.
2. press volume (aux light blinks fast once.
3. hold hand over ir lights and press TV Power button.
4. press Dish button.
5. Press volume.

Aux still just gives a quick flash with no receiver volume adjustment and has to be reprogrammed.

·
9 Posts
Spirit said:
George,
Could you post your exact proceedure? I tried that and it didn't work, this is what I did;
I'll double check and post back when I get home this evening. I think it's pretty much what you described, except I usually don't press the dish button right away.

·
9 Posts
Ok, I did some more playing around and I think my remote is behaving somewhat differently than what others are seeing. Using some variations of Spirits' procedure, here is what I see:

1) Press TV button and wait for TV light to go out

2) Press volume up - Aux light does not come on and receiver does not respond. Mute doesn't work. Also, none of the mode buttons (Sat/TV/Aux) work, and none of the TV functions work (like TV/Video or the number keys), even though it should be in TV mode at this point.

3) At this point I can restore the remote a couple of ways:
a) Press the TV power button (like I described earlier)
b) Press the volume down button (wierd, just discovered this)

Now if I press the TV button and then press volume up before the TV light goes out, the aux button lights up and stays on. All of the other behaviors in steps 2 and 3 are the same.

If I press the TV button, then voume down, everything seems to work fine (including volume up). The only combination that seems to cause a problem (for me at least) is TV followed by volume up.

Just in case it's relevant - I'm using code 771 for my TV and code 2683 for my receiver. The numbers on the back of my remote are: 5.3 IR, 143129 (same as eatonjb, must not be a S/N)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.