DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***** UPDATED ON LAST OF THREAD SOLUTION ******

OK....I have a elecrtonics rack with all my components right next to each other.

I just got a third D* Box....this makes one HR20, one H20(100) and now second H20(600). Based on the forum and some trial-n-error awhile back I got the RC24 remote to use slider position for D*logo for HR20 and H20(100) for AV1.....the IR remote codes 00001 and 00002 respectively....has worked no problemo. Well, now I want to put the 3rd box (H20-600) under slider AV2 and program the remote with another code set. I noticed on my first H20(100) it lists a bunch of code sets with the new firmware update.....0001, 00002, 00003, 00004, 00392, 00566, 00639, 01639, 01142, 00247, 00749, 01749, 00724, 00819, 01856....even says "etc." for total of 28 (I cannot see or get to more than the above listed). The new H20(600) only has 0002 but I figure this is since it does not have new firmware load(?). I went ahead and programmed the new H20(600) to AV2 code set 0002...works. I then went to the H20(100) and put the slider on AV1 and did the MUTE+SELECT and put in codes......00003 thru 01856 individually. None, of them work !!!! I then put this on AV2 and tried all of them....none work. The only code that works in AV1 or AV2 is 00002. D* logo slider I think is default 00001 so I can't use that one. Anyway, as a last resort I said....OK let me set on of the H20's to RF...which I did. Well duh, it works but guess what....this changes nothing....the remote codes are still the same and act the same.

So....here is my question........how do the have three D* settops next to each other and program different IR codes into D*, AV1, AV2 slider positions to control each ? There has got to be a way eslse they wouldn't list all the flipping IR code sets.

Earl ?

Thanks.

P.S.: I know this is not H20 forum but what is the code during RBR to force latest firmware load ?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
via IR mode... there is no way to do it.

AV1/AV2 share the same code

You can only have two units via IR.
You can use RF though

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
via IR mode... there is no way to do it.

AV1/AV2 share the same code

You can only have two units via IR.
You can use RF though
I changed to RF and it seems it responds to the same code ? This would be fine.....one HR20 on D* logo at 0001, one H20 on AV1 0002.....then next H20 on RF. Can you step me thru it and what code set to use ? I thought I tried and it still contented but I might not have done correctly. I'll try again while you respond. Thanks....I'm really in a fix if I can get this to work. :(

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
If you set the H20 to RF mode...
It should no longer respond to an IR code.

Which receiver is still responding

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
If you set the H20 to RF mode...
It should no longer respond to an IR code.

Which receiver is still responding
That's what I thought.......here is what I did....let me know where I'm wrong.

HR20==> IR, remote set to D* logo (I think code set is 00001)....RC24 Remote A
H20-600==> IR, remote set to AV1 logo (code set to 00002)....RC24 Remote B

H20-100==> I put black tape on IR receiver of H20-600. Code set for D* slider is 00001, AV1 & AV2 is 00002 on RC24 Remote C. On H20-100 I used front panel to go into Menu>Remote and set Receiver to RF from pull down menu. It asked me to hold MUTE+SELECT key and after two blinks enter 961 CHAN-UP. Then it asked me to enter a 6 digit code (549330) and hit SELECT. I did and it responded. (FYI the RF antenna is on back). Anyway, the H20-100 responds but guess what when I take the tape off H20-600 and hit power button on the remote it toggles BOTH -100 & -600 settops. So, what am I dong wrong ? Also, if I pick up Remote B and hit power it toggles both settops. So, it looks like either/both H20-100 setting to RF or the remote is not taking. Can you baby step me through it ?

· AllStar
74 Posts
I thought that if you go through the RF setup on each receiver individually, it should give you a different code everytime

and couldn't you, as a forethought:

With all receivers set to IR, program the H20-600 to the logo;
Set the H20-100 to AV1 using a code that will NOT also operate the HR20 (you mentioned an extensive code list);
Set the HR20 to AV2 with a code (crossing fingers) that will NOT operate the H20-100;
Of course, ensuring that the receiver modes are properly set in the Remote Option of Setup

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swedishcancerboi said:
I thought that if you go through the RF setup on each receiver individually, it should give you a different code everytime

and couldn't you, as a forethought:

With all receivers set to IR, program the H20-600 to the logo;
Set the H20-100 to AV1 using a code that will NOT also operate the HR20 (you mentioned an extensive code list);
Set the HR20 to AV2 with a code (crossing fingers) that will NOT operate the H20-100;
Of course, ensuring that the receiver modes are properly set in the Remote Option of Setup
Well,

I spent 2 hours on the Advanced Tech support with D* and they even were trying things on their setups. Here is the bottom line (I have both RC32 and RC24 remotes). This makes over 5 hours today on this !

1) There is only one IR code set that works for HR20.....00001
2) There is only one IR code set that works for H20......00002
Thus, with (1) HR20 and (2) H20s no way to operate three with two code sets. It makes no difference whether you
put the codes in D* logo or AV1 or AV2....the settops are either DirecTV more or AV1orAV2....not DirecTV, AV1 and AV2
seperate selections. As Earl said.....AV1/AV2 are shared even though different slider position.
3) Next Steps
a) Set HR20 to D* logo slider and 00001...IR mode.....works !
b) Set H20-100 to AV1 logo slider and 00002....IR mode....works !
c) Set H20-600 to RF....hoping that it will not contend with others since RF.....WRONG. Both the RC32 & RC24 remotes while enabling RF also broadcast IR. So, while the RF "works" the other HR20 or H20 comes on depending on slider position.
d) So here is/was cludge solution.....set to RF and then put black electrical tape over end of remotes so they don't broadcast IR...believing that RF will
radiate out of remote but IR trapped. Tried this with no luck....good theory though. So, either my settops are not going into RF or the remote is not or
the remote is not letting RF out hen taped.
e) So D* is sending me free a RC34 (?) remote....supposively high end RF ? Anyway, they want me to try item d) with this remote.

I'm glad they helped....cable guys would have said FU....sending free remote. So, my comment is to the designers that they could not forsee the need to put more than one friggin IR code set into these settops so when people have more than one near each other it is easy to program so they don't contend !!!! Earl, can you please send this note/suggestion to D* ? I think they could do this in a firmware upgrade..probably simple...and really help out.

So, my scenario is kinda bleek. Hopefully, the RF cludge will work but even so I now cannot integrate my IR codes into my Pronto remotes. If not....my only solution.....put a piece of black tape over H20-600 IR receiver and use this settop exclusively downstairs in my HT with no remote and use front panel buttongs for ON/OFF, channel, etc. Is that ugly or what ? :mad:

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
I am going to forward your thread to our local remote expert...

As even that "cludge" of a solution, still doesn't sound right.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
I am going to forward your thread to our local remote expert...

As even that "cludge" of a solution, still doesn't sound right.
Thanks SO much.....I'm signing off for tonight. If we get this worked out I'll write up a How-To guide to add to the Unofficial Tips-n-Tricks. I know we solved it for two settops in the past....I'm surprised three has never come up. You can tell the expert I use a crosspoint video switch to drive many HD TVs in the house and the electronics rack in the Home Theater downstairs is central. It faces into the HT with a glass door. All the rooms upstairs with TVs have IR receivers that feed into a Xantech collector and IR emmittors go over the settops IR receivers.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
if you realy get desparate.. I seem to remember HTM having a setup of rf to a reciever that had multiple ir emitters and you could tell it to only send certain codes to specific emitters.. would then just have to make sure they cant see each other....

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
houskamp said:
if you realy get desparate.. I seem to remember HTM having a setup of rf to a reciever that had multiple ir emitters and you could tell it to only send certain codes to specific emitters.. would then just have to make sure they cant see each other....
Do you have a link on this product ?

However......you bring up an interesting additional cludge idea. I'm using a Xantech http://www.xantech.com/ collector with dual LED emitters to my equipment in the rack. The emmitters are translucent to allow local IR signals to pass thru from a remote in the Home Theater room where the rack is. I'm wondering if I got a opaque emmitter and put this across the H20-100....then when using H20-600 IR remote in Home Theater even though the H20-100 would have same AV1-AV2 00002 code it would be blocked from seeing it.......interesting. Hmmmm. This would be better than an RF cludge solution in that I could still integrate the IR codes into my Pronto for H20-600 and HR20. I have a video switch so I can map any settop to any TV in the house. In reality the H20-600 was only for use in the Home Theater in the case that the other two settops were in use upstairs. In the above scenario I still would have access in HT to HR20 since it's IR code set is 00001....and if someone upstairs is watching this DVR settop then the H20-600 still is available. The only bad portion (not really) is that the H20-600 is not available upstairs which is already going to be the case anyway.

Houskamp....I know you weren't saying this but it got me thinking ! Thanks. :sure:

UPDATE: Found this....could work with my current emitters.......http://www.smarthomepro.com/97252700.html

Earl.....any news from your Remote expert ?

· Remote Master
1,820 Posts
How its still controlling other receivers when its supposed to be set to RF, can only be explained by user error,sorry. When the receiver and remote are set to RF, its RF only. the receiver doesn't accept anything but RF, and the remote doesn't emit anything but RF.

The two remote addresses in the H20 are 00001 & 00002. The two remote addresses in the HR20 are 00001 & 00003. So setting the HR20 to code 00003, and the two H20's to codes 00001 & 00002 should stop the conflicts.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Edmund said:
How its still controlling other receivers when its supposed to be set to RF, can only be explained by user error,sorry. When the receiver and remote are set to RF, its RF only. the receiver doesn't accept anything but RF, and the remote doesn't emit anything but RF.
Ahhh....found out not so. Turning on RF only enables RF in the remote...it still broadcasts IR. However, receiver mode set to RF only receives/sees RF. Thus the H20 next to it still in IR is picking up the IR transmission from the remote. This is at least true for RC24 and RC32 remotes. D* is sending me RC34 remote for free to try.

Edmund said:
The two remote addresses in the H20 are 00001 & 00002. The two remote addresses in the HR20 are 00001 & 00003. So setting the HR20 to code 00003, and the two H20's to codes 00001 & 00002 should stop the conflicts.
I tried setting one H20 to 00002 and one to 00003 remote....00003 does not work. Are you sure ? Is this for AV1/AV2 or D* logo slider setting....assuming it matters. Funny thing is on the H20-100 the remote IR on-screen guide has 00001thru 00004 and a bunch of other codes too. The H20-600 only shows 00002.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Edmund ! Figured it out....little trick though. The HR20 accepts 00001 and 00003...but only 00003 in AV1/AV2 position....not on DTV slider position. Seems that is reserved for only 00001 use.

So....for those reading it IS possible to have three Hx20s operating on "IR by each other. Here was my working config.

HR20 ==> IR code 00003, Remote Slider @ AV2 Logo, Receiver IR....AV1/AV2 mode
H20-100 ==> IR code 00002, Remote Slider @ AV1 Logo , Receiver IR....AV1/AV2 mode
H20-600 ==> IR code 00001, Remote Slider @ DTV Logo, Receiver IR...DirecTV mode

If you are trying the about copy exactly....variants do not work. I confirmed this on RC24 & RC32 remotes.

Also, I did confirm enabled RF on remotes does not disable IR...only enables RF...so you are broadcasting both.

Thanks again all.....hope this helps out.

Earl....can you change the title of the thread to SOLVED ? I changed the first post on the thread but thought the thread itself should change. I'm guessing others may want to search on in the future. Change the thread title if you think as well.

· Legend
116 Posts
houskamp said:
I have one of these, and it works, but there are a couple of issues.

The box has six individually-controlled emitters, which can be assigned to a specific device, so DVR1 can be emitter 1, etc.

There is also a "blaster" emitter on the front of the unit, which can be disabled, but only for all devices, not specific ones.

With Tivo units, I was able to use three different codes, with the Blaster on, and control everything by RF from the hand unit. With the HR20s, I have to use the individual emitters, which works fine, except it only leaves three more. One is for a Component switcher which feeds the rest of the house, so only two are free, and I still have the Audio receiver, TV, and DVD Player, so I come up short.

The only work-around is to use IR only for these, which makes pointing the remote a little fussy, but otherwise, it is workable...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.