DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to program my DirecTV remote (RC64) to work with my Samsung Sound Bar (HW-H450), DirecTV receiver model HR24.

I know that this is possible, because I currently have a DirecTV remote that worked with this sound bar. However, the working remote (RC65X) is going on the fritz. It possibly got wet, and now some buttons just don't work. They don't even light the green light when pressed. First it was volume down, then volume up, now about 1/3 of the buttons aren't working. I'm hoping it'll dry out (if that's the cause) and get back to normal. Right now, the Volume Down is working again, but random other buttons aren't.

I've gone into Remote Codes and tried all Samsung codes for Audio Equipment on the working remote. No dice.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, so here are the steps I'm taking:

1. Switch to AV1 on remote
2. Select + MUTE until blinking lights
3. Input 5-digit code
4. Use volume button to test (no results)

It does say to use power to test it, but I've read that won't work for soundbars anyway. Side note, I have been turning my sound bar on and off with my old remote by double-clicking the power button when in AV1 mode.

Thanks for any help, everybody!

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I'm trying to program my DirecTV remote (RC64) to work with my Samsung Sound Bar (HW-H450), DirecTV receiver model HR24.

I know that this is possible, because I currently have a DirecTV remote that worked with this sound bar. However, the working remote (RC65X) is going on the fritz. It possibly got wet, and now some buttons just don't work. They don't even light the green light when pressed. First it was volume down, then volume up, now about 1/3 of the buttons aren't working. I'm hoping it'll dry out (if that's the cause) and get back to normal. Right now, the Volume Down is working again, but random other buttons aren't.

I've gone into Remote Codes and tried all Samsung codes for Audio Equipment on the working remote. No dice.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, so here are the steps I'm taking:

1. Switch to AV1 on remote
2. Select + MUTE until blinking lights
3. Input 5-digit code
4. Use volume button to test (no results)

It does say to use power to test it, but I've read that won't work for soundbars anyway. Side note, I have been turning my sound bar on and off with my old remote by double-clicking the power button when in AV1 mode.

Thanks for any help, everybody!
Use this link.
Choose the remote you are trying to program and then choose audio, type in brand and then the model. A code pops up. Write down that number.
Start over and do the same thing with the RC-65 and you will see that it comes up with a different code number. You might need a new higher number remote, the RC65 or even an RC66. The RC 66 has several numbers when you click on Find more Codes.
They are cheap on Amazon or Ebay. Usually get a pair of them for $10.

Reactions: elguapo79

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use this link.
Choose the remote you are trying to program and then choose audio, type in brand and then the model. A code pops up. Write down that number.
Start over and do the same thing with the RC-65 and you will see that it comes up with a different code number. You might need a new higher number remote, the RC65 or even an RC66. The RC 66 has several numbers when you click on Find more Codes.
They are cheap on Amazon or Ebay. Usually get a pair of them for $10.
Thank you for the help. I couldn't find the link in your post. I remember seeing what I think it is last night when I was searching the forum for a solution to my problem, but I can't find it now!

I wondered if the model of the remote really made the difference. Sounds like it might be.

Odd development -- the old remote seems to be working now. Perhaps it was wet and dried overnight. Either way, I want to solve the mystery. And perhaps I should get a backup remote :) Had a Harmony once before, but I don't really need it with just a soundbar. DirecTV remote is good enough for me.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Thank you for the help. I couldn't find the link in your post. I remember seeing what I think it is last night when I was searching the forum for a solution to my problem, but I can't find it now!

I wondered if the model of the remote really made the difference. Sounds like it might be.

Odd development -- the old remote seems to be working now. Perhaps it was wet and dried overnight. Either way, I want to solve the mystery. And perhaps I should get a backup remote :) Had a Harmony once before, but I don't really need it with just a soundbar. DirecTV remote is good enough for me.
Well, showing my age now. You could not find the link because I did not post it like I was supposed to do.
Here it is, sorry about that.
Remote Control Code Lookup

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Pretty sure you need an RC65 or RC66 remote to control any Soundbars.
I use an RC66RX on a Polk soundbar and the only way I can get the remote to control the sound is by putting it in AV1 mode. PITA, but it works. I can't find a code for the SB, but the 66 did a search and got at least that to work.

Rich

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
I use an RC66RX on a Polk soundbar and the only way I can get the remote to control the sound is by putting it in AV1 mode. PITA, but it works. I can't find a code for the SB, but the 66 did a search and got at least that to work.

Rich
If it's working in AV1, there should be a way to "vol-lock" the remote to all the selections. (Maybe jimmie remembers what that lock code is.)

Of course, the default would be the TV's volume, but I've locked a few AVRs to the volume/mute that had been programmed to AV1, so I would think it should be do-able.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
If it's working in AV1, there should be a way to "vol-lock" the remote to all the selections. (Maybe jimmie remembers what that lock code is.)

Of course, the default would be the TV's volume, but I've locked a few AVRs to the volume/mute that had been programmed to AV1, so I would think it should be do-able.
993- Changes Volume Lock

993 + Select Punches Through the volume to all devices

993 + VOL Up Unlocks volume in all devices

993 + VOL Down Unlocks the volume for that one device you're in.

This was the first thing I learned when I came here years ago from Edmund. Edmund is the Remote Master.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
993- Changes Volume Lock

993 + Select Punches Through the volume to all devices

993 + VOL Up Unlocks volume in all devices

993 + VOL Down Unlocks the volume for that one device you're in.

This was the first thing I learned when I came here years ago from Edmund. Edmund is the Remote Master.
I don't get this, can you explain...more/better? I kinda understand, if I can change the volume using the AV1 mode, I can use one of these commands to make the Volume rocker switch work in D* mode? Which one?

This would be great, I've had this problem for years in another room.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I don't get this, can you explain...more/better? I kinda understand, if I can change the volume using the AV1 mode, I can use one of these commands to make the Volume rocker switch work in D* mode? Which one?

This would be great, I've had this problem for years in another room.

Rich
I always use the second one, 993 and then Select.
With the selector in the DTV location I can change the volume on the AVR and Mute or UnMute.

I do not know if this works with the 7x number remotes since I do not have a setup for Genie.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I always use the second one, 993 and then Select.
With the selector in the DTV location I can change the volume on the AVR and Mute or UnMute.
I'll try it, but first I need to know the complete process. How do I get to the point where I can use the 993 commands?

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I'll try it, but first I need to know the complete process. How do I get to the point where I can use the 993 commands?

Rich
Press the Mute and Select button on the remote and hold them both down until the green light blinks 2 times ( the initial blinks as you press each button do not count ) then type in 993, wait for 2 blinks of the green light, and then press the Select button.

Been a long time for me and I seem to remember that you need the switch in the AV spot when you do this.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Press the Mute and Select button on the remote and hold them both down until the green light blinks 2 times ( the initial blinks ands you press each button do not count ) then type in 993 and then press the Select button.

Been a long time for me and I seem to remember that you need the switch in the AV spot when you do this.
That didn't work.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
That didn't work.

Rich
I edited post #12 to include that the green light blinks twice after the 3 button is pressed.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Nothing, I have no volume control at all in any mode.

Rich
Were you using the TV volume to feed your soundbar ? If yes, put the selector on the TV spot.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.