DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved and added an HR-21-200. Had it installed in basement for the master bedroom just above. So the remote is set for RF. When programming the remote to also control the TV (Toshiba 32AV500U), I am running into an issue. I can find a code that works the TV while in DTV mode (volume, mute etc.); however, when I try to power down by pushing the DTV & TV "off" button it only turns off the HR-21-200. I have tried all of the listed codes and all do the same thing. Could this be because it sends the signal to the receiver in RF and then the signal to the TV is still in RF? Anyone had the same issues? Suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I'm sure our remote master will weigh in, but it's possible that there just isn't a code for your TV or that code isn't right. There are a number of universal remotes ranging in price from low to high that might make an excellent replacement.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Stuart pretty much nailed it. Some TVs simply don't work with the side on/off buttons. It has to do with how the command is mapped. It's very annoying. Hopefully, if/when the next model (remote) comes out, it will have more/better codes/mapping.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RobertE said:
Stuart pretty much nailed it. Some TVs simply don't work with the side on/off buttons. It has to do with how the command is mapped. It's very annoying. Hopefully, if/when the next model (remote) comes out, it will have more/better codes/mapping.
Thanks guys! I will just have to get another universal remote. Was hoping that I would not have to since this is just in the bedroom and will not have much else to control with the remote.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
I had a similar problem with the Audiovox TV in the guest room. I found a code that would work to turn it on and off and control the volume, but mute did not work. Then I found another code that worked for mute, but not power. Finally, I tried the brute-force method where you step through each code. I finally found one that works. If you don't know how to do this, look here (page 10):

http://directv.com/learn/pdf/Remote_Controls/DIRECTVRC64RforWeb.pdf

· Remote Master
1,820 Posts
jlchasejr said:
Just moved and added an HR-21-200. Had it installed in basement for the master bedroom just above. So the remote is set for RF. When programming the remote to also control the TV (Toshiba 32AV500U), I am running into an issue. I can find a code that works the TV while in DTV mode (volume, mute etc.); however, when I try to power down by pushing the DTV & TV "off" button it only turns off the HR-21-200. I have tried all of the listed codes and all do the same thing. Could this be because it sends the signal to the receiver in RF and then the signal to the TV is still in RF? Anyone had the same issues? Suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Try code 10765, it should give you the ON & OFF commands, but you will lose the TV INPUT command. If you had a rc32 remote, code 11656 in that remote would give you both ON, OFF, and input commands. But that same 11656 in the rc64 remotes will not.

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Edmund said:
Try code 10765, it should give you the ON & OFF commands, but you will lose the TV INPUT command. If you had a rc32 remote, code 11656 in that remote would give you both ON, OFF, and input commands. But that same 11656 in the rc64 remotes will not.
Thanks! I will try that.

· AllStar
101 Posts
jlchasejr said:
Thanks guys! I will just have to get another universal remote. Was hoping that I would not have to since this is just in the bedroom and will not have much else to control with the remote.
I though most universal remotes were IR only. Do they make RF ones also? Seems like RF remotes might be more manufacture specific, as they might not all use the same frequencies.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
n6nfg said:
I though most universal remotes were IR only. Do they make RF ones also? Seems like RF remotes might be more manufacture specific, as they might not all use the same frequencies.
Yes, RF remote technology is very much vendor-specific. The RF function on D* remotes is only compatible with D* receivers. A universal remotes that is RF capable won't "talk" D*'s RF commands. Instead, it will talk to its own repeater that will receive its RF signal and re-transmit it via IR blasters or emitters.

9 Posts
Edmund said:
Thanks,

Been dealing with multiple remotes for a receiver we use in an RV. This works on a Toshiba 22 inch.

Thanks again

· Godfather
475 Posts
rudeney said:
Yes, RF remote technology is very much vendor-specific. The RF function on D* remotes is only compatible with D* receivers. A universal remotes that is RF capable won't "talk" D*'s RF commands. Instead, it will talk to its own repeater that will receive its RF signal and re-transmit it via IR blasters or emitters.
I never understood why RF has to be proprietary. I have also "heard" that Universal Remote makes the D* OEM remotes....if so why can't URC include the HR RF codes in its database?

· Remote Master
1,820 Posts
EricRobins said:
I never understood why RF has to be proprietary. I have also "heard" that Universal Remote makes the D* OEM remotes....if so why can't URC include the HR RF codes in its database?
No, URC does not make the white remotes, UEI, Universal Electronics INC does.

· Remote Master
1,820 Posts
EricRobins said:
Thanks for the clarification, but what is preventing URC from purchasing or otherwise reverse engineering the D* HR2x RF codes to be used by the MX remotes?
Because there is also Dish, Bose, or even Hampton bay each using a proprietary RF frequency, why should directv be singled out, if you're going to have one you'll have to have all. reason? To expensive.

Universal remotes will only have one RF frequency at a time, their own. Thats how its always has been and continue to be do to cost.

They have to pay for licences for RF frequencies, a cable or dish subscriber isn't going to buy a remote that might have added cost to the puchase price due to Directv subscribers, would you?

· Godfather
475 Posts
Edmund said:
Because there is also Dish, Bose, or even Hampton bay each using a proprietary RF frequency, why should directv be singled out, if you're going to have one you'll have to have all. reason? To expensive.

Universal remotes will only have one RF frequency at a time, their own. Thats how its always has been and continue to be do to cost.

They have to pay for licences for RF frequencies, a cable or dish subscriber isn't going to buy a remote that might have added cost to the puchase price due to Directv subscribers, would you?
Would it be possible (practical too) for D* to license me the codes for a fee. This way, I could put it in my URC remote myself (w/ the help of URC) and Dish subscribers would not have to pay a dime. What advantage does D* get by keeping the RF codes out of the public when the IR codes are freely available?

· Godfather
475 Posts
Edmund said:
URC already picked an outside company to partner with in RF control of their gear:

http://www.remotecentral.com/news/444/urc_expands_lighting_control_to_all_rf_remotes.html
Isn't this the other way around....Lutron chose URC? Either way, I do not see what difference this makes to URC remotes being able to be programmed to control D* IRDs.

Assuming the MX remotes are capable of generating signals in the correct frequency range, can the HRxx RF commands be "captured" and put into the programming software for the URC remotes (just like they have for the Lutron lighting controls)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.