DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· AllStar
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR-21-100. It came with the RC64R Remote, but I wanted the backlighted feature so I got an RC64RB. The problem is I can't get the new remote to work with the HR-21. I've tried everything. I'm at wits end as now I can't even get the old RC64R to work either. Help!

· Legend
200 Posts
DolphinGirl said:
I have an HR-21-100. It came with the RC64R Remote, but I wanted the backlighted feature so I got an RC64RB. The problem is I can't get the new remote to work with the HR-21. I've tried everything. I'm at wits end as now I can't even get the old RC64R to work either. Help!
Have you tried resetting your remote? Since neither of your remotes work, you'll need to use the buttons on the unit itself.

Click on menu (on unit)
Scroll down to bottom (I think its setup/fav)
Then scroll down to remote. Inside the remote "field" there should be a reset remote. Just follow instructions. Good Luck

See if that works. It's worked for me in the past.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Of course try fresh batteries, and also do a factory reset of the remote itself – put the slide selector in D* mode, press and hold MUTE + SELECT until the light blinks twice, then press 981. That will put it back in IR mode, using codeset 0001. Use the original remote (that presumably still operates the HR21) to go through the on-screen menus and make sure the receiver is configured for IR, codeset 0001.

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
does this 981 thing work with hr20 as well?

i had issues past few weeks and figured batteries were dying. While seated on the arm of my chair the remote didnt work but if i lifted it it worked. Today i went to use it and totally dead. Put in new batteries and worked but then didnt.

now totally didnt work..i'm rebooting the receiver as we speak

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
ok the remote isnt even controlling the TV volume...but the green light on it flashes..i did the 981 thing..nothing

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Note that the 981 code is resetting only the remote itself – it has nothing to do with the receiver or any other remote. It just puts the remote back to factory defaults of IR mode 00001 and with no configuration for any other devices (TV, DVD, etc.)
First, let’s check the receiver to make sure it’s also in IR mode 00001. Use the original remote that works and Press “Menu” then navigate through “Parental, Fav’s &Setup” – “System Setup” – “Remote” – “IR/RF Setup”. Make sure the “Remote Type” is set to “IR”. If it’s RF, then that’s why the new remote does not work and it’s easy to change it. You can either set the HR2x back to IR on this screen, or, change the new remote to RF mode. If you want to change the new remote to RF mode, do this: Press and hold MUTE + SELECT on the *new* remote. When the light blinks, release he buttons and press 96 and CHANNEL UP. Then, enter the last six digits of the receiver ID (found on the sticker behind the door on the lower-right hand corner where the access card is inserted).
If the HR2x is in IR mode, then it sounds like this could be a bad remote.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.