DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the concept of the two. Rental discs having no extras just the movie, but I have just watched cowboys and aliens from netflix and this universal bluray has everything listed in the menus extended edition, extras, languages etc. But when you click on them it tells you this is a rental and to go buy the disc to see them. I don't like this tease. Can't afford to buy every movie to see the extras.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
Christopher Gould said:
I understand the concept of the two. Rental discs having no extras just the movie, but I have just watched cowboys and aliens from netflix and this universal bluray has everything listed in the menus extended edition, extras, languages etc. But when you click on them it tells you this is a rental and to go buy the disc to see them. I don't like this tease. Can't afford to buy every movie to see the extras.
Give it a few months. After their initial release prices drop on DVDs making them affordable.

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
Christopher Gould said:
I always assumed it was just cheaper for the studios to make one menu structure.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Give it a few months. After their initial release prices drop on DVDs making them affordable.
I argue the other away around...
Typically release week, is the cheapest they are for several months...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
spartanstew said:
I always assumed it was just cheaper for the studios to make one menu structure.
Having mastered several DVD's (for personal home videos).
And know just the simple consumer tools that are around now...

Probably takes them almost no time to tweek the menu on a second version, and remaster the image for production.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I beg to differ. Just go to a Sam's Club, Walmart, or Barnes & Noble and see what the release price is for a DVD/BluRay. Then wait a couple of months. Examples: When "True Grit" was released it went for $18.95. Now it's selling for $12.00. "Ben Hur" 50th Anniversary Package was selling for $42.95 when released. I waited and got it for $24.95. Hell, I've even seen some new releases go for less then $10.00 after their initial release.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
MysteryMan said:
I beg to differ. Just go to a Sam's Club, Walmart, or Barnes & Noble and see what the release price is for a DVD/BluRay. Then wait a couple of months. Examples: When "True Grit" was released it went for $18.95. Now it's selling for $12.00. "Ben Hur" 50th Anniversary Package was selling for $42.95 when released. I waited and got it for $24.95. Hell, I've even seen some new releases go for less then $10.00 after their initial release.
Depends on titles, and timelines... almost each one is different.

I know I just paid $16, for the multi-disc blu-ray set for Kung Fu Panda 2, for $16 on release week.... Similar for Cars 2 and several other recent ones.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
"MysteryMan" said:
It all depends on where you shop. Almost any product can be found cheaper somewhere and overpriced elsewhere.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"Stewart Vernon" said:
I don't hope it becomes the norm... But both editions of Red were clearly marked on the packaging for the differences.
Maybe so, but I will also say its not something you expect. It's kind of like people don't expect that when they buy an older new disc, the digital copy is already expired.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
"dpeters11" said:
Maybe so, but I will also say its not something you expect. It's kind of like people don't expect that when they buy an older new disc, the digital copy is already expired.
I wish the digital copies didn't expire too... But I don't have a perfect answer to guarantee them forever without cost o the movie producer... Imagine having to keep the server running indefinitely just in case ten years from now someone redeems a code.

The thing with Red, though, while being bad at least shouldn't surprise anyone that reads before buying.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I agree now that I've got a couple more BR players I'm buying movies again and if I don't get them within 48 hours of release it takes awhile for them to get down below the $25- $30 price for the 3D/BR/DVD copies.

Of course the popularity of the movie will dictate the length it takes to reduce price as well. There's no incentive to sell something for less that's flying off the shelves still.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.