DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a loyal DTV customer since 1996 and have been generally very pleased. I currently have 2 HR20s, 1 HR21 and 1 HR24 as well as an H23. I have been having problems with my HR21 HDR. I am trying to decide whether to have the HR21 replaced and keep the same configuration I now have or to upgrade to a Genie. I have Whole Home already and can access all of my receivers except for the HR21 from any other receiver. I like having a backup drive in case the drive on the Genie fails. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Dad
6,607 Posts
Upgrade
Get HR44 Genie at a minimum
No HR34 under any condition

HR54 better

44 and 54's are like warp drive compared to HR21

Keep HR24, keep H23
Get rid of rest, Genie clients are better than all the rest.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Getting a Genie would require a two-year commitment.

Replacing defective HR20/HR21 will not. They're not taking either model back. So be imaginative in a trouble and they'll send you a HR24 with no commitment.

Whatever you do, don't swap out all your DVRs for a Genie and a bunch of dumb Genie minis.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Drucifer said:

Replacing defective HR20/HR21 will not. They're not taking either model back. So be imaginative in a trouble and they'll send you a HR24 with no commitment.

Whatever you do, don't swap out all your DVRs for a Genie and a bunch of dumb Genie minis.
depends who is doing the swap. If drop ship, DirecTV won't want them back. If a tech dies the swap, he MUST take the receivers.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
peds48 said:
depends who is doing the swap. If drop ship, DirecTV won't want them back. If a tech does the swap, he MUST take the receivers.

I said use an imaginative trouble.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
NR4P said:
Upgrade
Get HR44 Genie at a minimum
No HR34 under any condition

HR54 better

44 and 54's are like warp drive compared to HR21

Keep HR24, keep H23
Get rid of rest, Genie clients are better than all the rest.
Id almost agree. Depends if he needs the full nine tuners or if he can get by with seven. If he needs all nine keep two DVRs (hope to swap one for an HR24 )

So that'd be a genie two hr24s and two minis. But if seven tuners is enough I'd do exactly what you suggest. Just have to also remember he would have less series links to create. He's got 200 now. Dropping to one genie and one DVR puts him at 150. The two DVRs and a genie keeps him at 200.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
inkahauts said:
Id almost agree. Depends if he needs the full nine tuners or if he can get by with seven. If he needs all nine keep two DVRs (hope to swap one for an HR24 )

So that'd be a genie two hr24s and two minis. But if seven tuners is enough I'd do exactly what you suggest. Just have to also remember he would have less series links to create. He's got 200 now. Dropping to one genie and one DVR puts him at 150. The two DVRs and a genie keeps him at 200.
Still not thrilled with my HR44-700. It does work very well, can't complain about that, but the software...ahh, I still don't understand how they could screw that up so badly.

Rich

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Rich said:
Still not thrilled with my HR44-700. It does work very well, can't complain about that, but the software...ahh, I still don't understand how they could screw that up so badly.

Rich
One word - 'bloated'

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Drucifer said:

Not necessarily a two year, only if an installer is needed. He has swm already and 9 tuners, so an installer may not be needed if it's a 13 tuner swm. Self install is a year commitment.

If it's a swm16, then they probably would require an installer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Drucifer said:

I have the exact same issue as the OP. My HR34 just got replaced by an HR54. It didn't fix the problem of the DVRs disconnecting from the whole-home network, so I have another service call scheduled for Monday. If they replace my HR21, what is the best model it could be replaced with? I don't want to lose the 2 tuners or the storage (external 1TB HDD). I also need component output to connect to my Hauppauge PVR, which in turn connects to a PC, which I use to watch TV in that room. Should I reject a Genie client if they suggest it and ask for an HR24?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
the2130 said:
I have the exact same issue as the OP. My HR34 just got replaced by an HR54. It didn't fix the problem of the DVRs disconnecting from the whole-home network, so I have another service call scheduled for Monday. If they replace my HR21, what is the best model it could be replaced with? I don't want to lose the 2 tuners or the storage (external 1TB HDD). I also need component output to connect to my Hauppauge PVR, which in turn connects to a PC, which I use to watch TV in that room. Should I reject a Genie client if they suggest it and ask for an HR24?
They should replace it with a HR24 -However All the program's recorded on the external Drive will not play on the Replacement HDDVR - But you can still use the external drive connected to the new HDDVR.

How is the HR54 Connected to your Network? Have you reset your router? If the HR21 is working No need to replace it as it should not affect the genie from dropping off the network.

·
Registered
886 Posts
WestDC said:
They should replace it with a HR24 -However All the program's recorded on the external Drive will not play on the Replacement HDDVR - But you can still use the external drive connected to the new HDDVR.

How is the HR54 Connected to your Network? Have you reset your router? If the HR21 is working No need to replace it as it should not affect the genie from dropping off the network.
I'm not worried about losing the programming on the drive. As far as the HR21 not being the cause, that may or may not not be true. It was the last tech who decided the HR34 should be replaced, so it's quite possible they will replace the HR21 as well. Since the issue is intermittent and doesn't show up for hours at a time, there isn't any way to tell for sure what's causing it other than replacing components until the problem goes away. I haven't rebooted the router and don't plan to unless the DirecTV tech requests it. The two DVRs don't communicate with each other through the router, so it isn't likely to be the cause.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
the2130 said:
The two DVRs don't communicate with each other through the router, so it isn't likely to be the cause.
as long as your system is connected to the Internet, your router plays a HUGE role in a whole home network. While the communication happens inside the coax, your router is in charge of managing all communications.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
the2130 said:
I'm not worried about losing the programming on the drive. As far as the HR21 not being the cause, that may or may not not be true. It was the last tech who decided the HR34 should be replaced, so it's quite possible they will replace the HR21 as well. Since the issue is intermittent and doesn't show up for hours at a time, there isn't any way to tell for sure what's causing it other than replacing components until the problem goes away. I haven't rebooted the router and don't plan to unless the DirecTV tech requests it. The two DVRs don't communicate with each other through the router, so it isn't likely to be the cause.
You should be happy they Replaced your HR34 with a HR54

1. The Network -Router-Switch is Yours (NOT) D* tv's So the Tech will not touch any of it.
2. How is The 54 Connected to your Home Network???
3.Your Router is the Gateway from your local network to the outside world it can Block traffic as well as pass it.

I would Suggest you try this

1. Reset your router (Power cycle it)
2. Go the hr54 and reset the internet to default - Then Red Button reset and connect to the internet on reboot.
Then Do a System Test

Does it pass?

·
Registered
886 Posts
peds48 said:
as long as your system is connected to the Internet, your router plays a HUGE role in a whole home network. While the communication happens inside the coax, your router is in charge of managing all communications.

Yes, but the DVRs don't communicate with each other through the router. And we aren't having any other problems with our Internet service.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
the2130 said:
Yes, but the DVRs don't communicate with each other through the router. And we aren't having any other problems with our Internet service.
You are under estimating the role of your router in a Whole-Home system or just don't grasp how a Whole-Home system works. While data traffic between DVRs don't pass your router, your router is the cop in the middle of the street directing such traffic.

·
Registered
886 Posts
WestDC said:
You should be happy they Replaced your HR34 with a HR54

1. The Network -Router-Switch is Yours (NOT) D* tv's So the Tech will not touch any of it.
2. How is The 54 Connected to your Home Network???
3.Your Router is the Gateway from your local network to the outside world it can Block traffic as well as pass it.

I would Suggest you try this

1. Reset your router (Power cycle it)
2. Go the hr54 and reset the internet to default - Then Red Button reset and connect to the internet on reboot.
Then Do a System Test

Does it pass?
Yes, I'm very happy to have an HR54 and to be rid of the HR34. The router is owned by AT&T, our ISP, which owns DirecTV, so it isn't necessarily true that a DirecTV tech won't touch it.

As to how it's connected to the Internet, the router shows the DVR's IP address is a wired Ethernet connection. Since the only cables on the back of the HR54 are the power cord, HDMI, and coax cable, it has to be communicating with the other DVR through the coax. The connection to the router is though a switch connected to the HR21 in the other room. I'm pretty sure the DVRs can communicate with each other even if they don't have connectivity to the router, but I haven't tested that recently, nor do I plan to. I have the protection plan, this is an issue with DirecTV's hardware, and it's up to them to figure out which component is bad. What I'm concerned with is what model I get if the HR21 is replaced, which is a possibility.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.