DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since we posted on this subject. I really wasn't having first run vs. repeat issues so I stayed out of these posts. So, if this is just a big ol' repeat to some of you, let the thread die, with my apologies.

As I said, I had very few issues with first runs vs. repeats until version 0x10b. At the same time, my reboot frequency was about one a month, maybe once every three weeks.

I was hit with the black screen bug, not as badly as some, but I was hit. My reboot frequency went to roughly once every two-three days.

I noticed the following after my most recent reboot on Monday:

-I have a series link for Mythbusters (I bet you do too). First run only.

-Earlier in the day Mythbusters was not on my to do list. and after the reboot Mythbusters was not on my to do list.

-Mythbusters started 45 minutes after reboot, and started recording. I looked to see why, and the info was just the generic "two funny looking guys try to test urban legends" or whatever, you know what I mean.

-The next day, the info for the program was accurate and showed it as a repeat.

So here's what I'm seeing: The original 6 hours of guide data that happens after a reboot may not have all the episode info, so any programs that occur within 6 hours after a reboot might record even if they are repeats (and you want only first run). At some point that guide data seems to be backfilled, so it looks like the HR20 had the episode info and recorded it anyway.

Ergo: Those who frequently reboot for other problems are more likely to perceive errors in first run/repeat logic. Those without frequent reboots are less likely to perceive this.

One more thing: When establishing a series link, the original episode you selected will always be set to record, even if it is a repeat and the logic is for first runs. The issue fixes itself with subsequent repeats.

Ah, there. Got it off my chest.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Been a while since we posted on this subject. I really wasn't having first run vs. repeat issues so I stayed out of these posts. So, if this is just a big ol' repeat to some of you, let the thread die, with my apologies.
As I said, I had very few issues with first runs vs. repeats until version 0x10b. At the same time, my reboot frequency was about one a month, maybe once every three weeks.
I was hit with the black screen bug, not as badly as some, but I was hit. My reboot frequency went to roughly once every two-three days.
I noticed the following after my most recent reboot on Monday:
-I have a series link for Mythbusters (I bet you do too). First run only.
-Earlier in the day Mythbusters was not on my to do list. and after the reboot Mythbusters was not on my to do list.
-Mythbusters started 45 minutes after reboot, and started recording. I looked to see why, and the info was just the generic "two funny looking guys try to test urban legends" or whatever, you know what I mean.
-The next day, the info for the program was accurate and showed it as a repeat.
So here's what I'm seeing: The original 6 hours of guide data that happens after a reboot may not have all the episode info, so any programs that occur within 6 hours after a reboot might record even if they are repeats (and you want only first run). At some point that guide data seems to be backfilled, so it looks like the HR20 had the episode info and recorded it anyway.
Ergo: Those who frequently reboot for other problems are more likely to perceive errors in first run/repeat logic. Those without frequent reboots are less likely to perceive this.
One more thing: When establishing a series link, the original episode you selected will always be set to record, even if it is a repeat and the logic is for first runs. The issue fixes itself with subsequent repeats.
Ah, there. Got it off my chest.
Yep, and add to this the record R) & R)) icon "bug". Add more guide data, the "bug" goes away.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a bug. It's halfway between bug and feature. I mean, the 6-hour "reboot" guide is smaller by necessity, to cut reboot times. There is enough functionality that it does record something if it's not sure if it's a repeat, so you can decide. It even goes back and revisits those programs so you have some episode data.

Other than decreasing the need for reboots, I'm not sure I'd change anything about this behavior. Maybe I'd add a history item that says "This item was recorded because it wasn't possible to determine first run / repeat information."

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
This is the Wrong Info Bug.

I posted this in the 0x115 Release thread:

Wrong Info Bug
Here is how to see the Wrong Info Bug. Set up some number of First Run Only Season Passes on a 2-Tuner TiVo. Set up the identical Series Links on the HR20 in the same order. The old TiVo will make you "Please Wait" while it one-by-one searches for all of the shows. The HR20 will take up to 24 hours to accumulate them.

A day later, look at both To Do Lists. They will often overlap but a surpising number of times the TiVo will have different programs set to record. Go online with the network and you will see that invariably TiVo got it right. I have yet to see a case where the TiVo was the one in error.

To further the experiement, repeat the test but first unplug the TiVo phone line so it can't call home. Now both units only have the hidden info broadcast in channel 100.

Same results.

So both the old TiVo and the HR20 get the same data from the satellite. The HR20 just seems to have a bit of dyslexia.

- Craig

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't disagree that this is the same issue at its core. My point is that for those who weren't able to figure out why they were getting repeats when they wanted only first runs, the key points seem to be, as far as I can see:

-programs recording within 6 hours of a reboot,
-and programs which are selected during a find when the series link is established.

This might help restore some confidence in the HR20, because although we might want it to respond more quickly, it seems to be interpreting our requests in line with the data it has.

Also, as Tivo keeps the guide data on the hard drive (a major source of speed complaints IIRC) it might not need or use that emergency 6-hour boost after rebooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.