DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that at the bottom of the "System setup Status" screen, under "Access Card", it states: "Replace your access card when you receive a new one". Anybody else have the same on there HR20? Are we suppose to be receiving new access cards in the future?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
tjboyd said:
I just noticed that at the bottom of the "System setup Status" screen, under "Access Card", it states: "Replace your access card when you receive a new one". Anybody else have the same on there HR20? Are we suppose to be receiving new access cards in the future?
Haven't heard anything (sure seems soon), and I don't have that message on my 3 week old HR20

·
Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
No, you'll basically never need to use that option. In all my years with DirecTV I've been through many access cards, and I've never once needed to use the access card swap feature on the receiver. I don't really even know why they put it on there.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
It is a carry over.

Way back in the day.. when you replaced your access card. It was a two step process.

First step... tell the IRD that you where replacing the card (and it stored key information in the flash area of the IRD)
Second step... put the new card in, and the IRD would update the card.

However with the current generation of Cards, and technology... those steps are not really necessary... but it is possible that the code needs to be there to comply with the NDS security steps.

There is no large scale Access Card replacement program occuring for ANY receiver class... let alone the HR20

·
Legend
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, if it's not a problem Earl, why do some units (mine) say it, and some don't (like the post above)...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tjboyd said:
So, if it's not a problem Earl, why do some units (mine) say it, and some don't (like the post above)...
Couldn't tell you on that one.

I'll have to look at my units when I get home.

·
Legend
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Earl... I appreciate you looking in to that..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.