DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Directv install a AU9S dish and an HR21 for HD channel access, but the installer left the existing Zinwell SAM-4803 multiswitch in place for some reason. Directv is refusing to replace it with a wide band model unless I can prove it's causing issues; do I have any options besides shelling out $130 for a WB616 and installing it myself?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
DirecTV doesn't supply a WB616, but do supply the WB68 and it should be for free.
You have 90 days from the install to have free service calls to "fix" a poor installation.
You might [I would] call back and perhaps get out of the installation dept. and get to tech support. They should be able to get a tech back out with the correct multi-switch for you.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Customer service passed me off to the Install department, who passed me off to Support. I've been unable to get them to understand why the switch needs to be replaced. All that Support was willing to do was file an installer complaint; They said I should call the installation contractor & complain directly. Considering the the contractor no-call/no-showed me the first time & stole the AV cables out of the HR21 box and tried to sell them back to me, I don't have much desire to work with them again.

· Cool Member
10 Posts
pcweltz said:
Considering the the contractor no-call/no-showed me the first time & stole the AV cables out of the HR21 box and tried to sell them back to me, I don't have much desire to work with them again.
Not to drag this off topic too much, but about 4 years ago, when DirecTV added my 2nd dish for my locals, the installers stole my RCA receivers which I bought with my own MasterCard at Best Buy, and the controllers to my son's Sony Playstation2. As soon as they left, and I noticed that they robbed me, I called DirecTV, who called the installers on their cell phone. The installers called me at home the next day, said they no longer had the RCA receivers, but they did bring back the Playstation2 Controllers. DirecTV gave me 6 months of free service to make up for the stolen receivers.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some DirecTV installers are as shady as a Willow tree.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
pcweltz said:
Had Directv install a AU9S dish and an HR21 for HD channel access, but the installer left the existing Zinwell SAM-4803 multiswitch in place for some reason. Directv is refusing to replace it with a wide band model unless I can prove it's causing issues; do I have any options besides shelling out $130 for a WB616 and installing it myself?
You say the switch must be "causing issues" in order to be replaced...is it not doing so?

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
paulman182 said:
You say the switch must be "causing issues" in order to be replaced...is it not doing so?
It's not uncommon to see a SAM4803 work with Ka/Ku but it won't keep working forever.

I recommend the OP to complain to D* that he is seeing pixelation and SFSS on HD channels.That old witch needs to go.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
pcweltz said:
Considering the the contractor no-call/no-showed me the first time & stole the AV cables out of the HR21 box and tried to sell them back to me,
No excuse for the ' selling back' but HSP IRDs don't come with cables anymore most of the time. So he didn't steal them. :rolleyes:

· Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
pcweltz said:
How many tuners are you running? What is the service problem?

Joe

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went ahead & ordered my own WB616 from SolidSignal to replace the SAM-4803. The thought of arguing with D*'s incompetent support staff or wasting another half-day of vacation on another probable no-call/no-show tech makes doing the work myself look like a bargain. Could have gotten by with a WB68, but I wanted a powered switch.

· Legend
155 Posts
Ntrikit said:
Not to drag this off topic too much, but about 4 years ago, when DirecTV added my 2nd dish for my locals, the installers stole my RCA receivers which I bought with my own MasterCard at Best Buy, and the controllers to my son's Sony Playstation2. As soon as they left, and I noticed that they robbed me, I called DirecTV, who called the installers on their cell phone. The installers called me at home the next day, said they no longer had the RCA receivers, but they did bring back the Playstation2 Controllers. DirecTV gave me 6 months of free service to make up for the stolen receivers.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some DirecTV installers are as shady as a Willow tree.
why didn't you call the police? The right way to handle it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.