DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a used dish. I read somewhere that I can use any satellite dish with a DirecTV receiver. Like Dish Network, Primestar, that Canadian one, they will all work.

Is that correct?

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called a local electronics store and they sell new dishes for $50-70. The guy told me I had to have a DirecTV dish to work with a DirecTV receiver.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
If you are a new customer, Directv will furnish the receiver, dish and installation for free (which was not the case when I signed up).

If you just need SD channels on the 101 deg. satellite, just about any single-LNB dish will work. Some won't like DishPro, which stacks signals. I don't know about Primestar. The dish needs to have a circular-polarized LNB.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
There are so many old ones on roofs and in the dumpsters at our HQ.

But I don't get your point though. The install is free and even if you have all the equipment you still need to pay for the service so why not jut let a pro do it all for you??

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Are you buying a new receiver? If so, Mertzen is right - dish and install should be free.

Do you have a previously owned receiver and are just now going to be getting service? I don't think you'd get free install if you are using a used receiver.

It's not quite clear from your posts what your situation is.

I believe some older dishes could be used with some older receivers. I think some of the newer equipment may require D* dishes to work properly. I am not entirely sure about that, though. I think clearing up which receiver you'll be using, etc. may lead to better answers.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JLucPicard said:
Are you buying a new receiver? If so, Mertzen is right - dish and install should be free.

Do you have a previously owned receiver and are just now going to be getting service? I don't think you'd get free install if you are using a used receiver.

It's not quite clear from your posts what your situation is.

I believe some older dishes could be used with some older receivers. I think some of the newer equipment may require D* dishes to work properly. I am not entirely sure about that, though. I think clearing up which receiver you'll be using, etc. may lead to better answers.
The receiver model number is D11. I'm installing it myself because I'm putting it in a fish house.

My brother bought a used dish today, the basic 1 lnb one, so I hope that works.

Do I need a multiswitch or anything else between the dish and the receiver, or does the dish plug directly into the receiver?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.