DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of calling and trying to get someone to believe that my previous HR20-700 had issues (wouldn't retain guide information for more than a few hours, daily reboots, etc), I finally was able to convince them to send me a replacement. So yesterday, my Refurbished HR20-700 arrived (I don't mind the refurb, as I don't get HD Locals yet from Directv, so the OTA is a must!).

A little setup background. The old receiver was connected via an SWM-8 (FTM-2)on a line that is also split to run an HR21-700. It was also hooked up to the network via a WGA600N and had rabbit ears for OTA. I have an antenna wired in to the SWM-8 also, but hadn't been using it for OTA on this receiver yet (I am using that for another HR20 and an HR21), but I still have a diplexer to split out the Sat and Ant signals before it goes into the Sat 1/FTM input.

I unplugged all the cables from the old receiver, pulled the box out of the entertainment center, put the new receiver in its placed and plugged everything right back in. The only change was that I decided to use the OTA coming from the SWM-8 rather than the rabbit ears. Then the issues began...

1) Upon initial startup, the receiver could not find any satellite signals. Nothing but 771 messages. After quite a while of dinking around with checking cables (same cables that had worked with the other receiver, mind you), removing the network connection, etc. I finally decided to remove the SWM-fed OTA connection. After removing that connection and restarting, I was magically able to see all the Sats. Any one ever seen something like this where the OTA connection was causing the Sat communication to be lost? Seems extremely weird to me, but wait, there's more.

2) After finally getting the Sat signals and being able to boot up the machine fully, I go to get the box activated. They do their thing and...nothing. Getting 711 messages (service not activated). They spend another hour deactivating/reactivating/resetting/making this receiver primary/blah blah blah, and still 711 messages. Then they have me try using the card from the receiver I was replacing. So I put that in, the do their thing to associate the Receiver ID with the Access Card ID, and yippee, no longer getting 711 messages...but now getting 764 messages (using the wrong card). Everything on their side looks like everything should be active, but on my side, nothing they try has any impact. Since the CSRs don't know much (or anything in some cases) about the SWM-8, I didn't bother to ask them about it, but I am curious if there could be something in my setup that may be preventing their communication to my access card? I hesitate to think that would be the case since I have 2 other receivers running with all the same setup (same splitters, same diplexers, etc) and recently had Showtime service added which would have had to update something with an access card, right?

Anyway, the case got escalated to a "case manager" who is supposed to get back with me today to continue troubleshooting, but thought I would see if anyone here had any ideas on what else could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
I am not sure what the deal is with the access card but as far as receiving a signal without a problem from personal experience and from helping a few people it seems to be better to pull the power cord on all receivers connected to the SWM and the PI before doing anything. Once the SAT lines are connected plug the PI back in and wait a few seconds and than plug the receivers back in.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
I know people are getting tired of me repeating this. I also know that some have gotten it to work, but...

DirecTv does not and will not support diplexing with the SWMs. Yes the SWM8 has an OTA port built it. But, from everything i have read on the inside, diplexing can and does cause signal issues depending on what is being diplexed, quality/quantity of diplexers and your programming choices.

So, until you get things running, you may want to take OTA out of the equation.

Now, on to getting the box running.

First thing you will need to do is find out which box/card is your primary. Next you will need to find out if you have any expired sports packages. Old expired sports packages cause all sorts of activation issues.

Hopefully, when they had you swap the cards (dumb move IMHO) they didn't screw things up even worse. Anyway, the cards need to go back to their respective receivers. Make sure that each box that was working before is still working. If not, you may have to get some new cards sent to you.

Now on to the replacement. Make sure that your getting good signals and you can see a picture on Ch 100. Now it's time for the CSR. They need to make sure that the RID & card number match up. Then they need to make sure that this box is mirrored to your primary services.

Good luck.

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
To get rid of the 711 connect the receiver to a leagacy port to get the receiver activated and then connect it back on the swm port after

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I just got off the phone with "Case Management" (sounds important, huh?). They monkeyed with a few more things, mainly cleaning up the mess related to the last CSR trying the old access card... Since none of that worked, they are now going to send me a new card.

In the meantime, I am going to try to re-wire some things to use a port on my WB68 to see if that gets me through the activation process. If that works, then I will see about hooking it back up to the SWM8 (without OTA) afterwards.

I'll keep you posted!

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;) Tried re-wiring to bypass the SWM8 altogether (using a port on the WB68 instead, and attaching b-band converters). Still no luck. I guess I will wait the 3 - 5 days for them to snail mail me another card and see if that is any better...

Its a darn good thing it isn't football season yet...

Won't be able to update anymore until next week, likely, but I will let you know what happens...

Thanks again for the great suggestions. Much appreciated!

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but for some reason...I'm not. So the evening of 7/23 they supposedly ordered me up a new access card...well it was late in the evening, so you wouldn't figure that it would go into the mail until the next day, 7/24. Then it is 3 - 5 business days to get to me, so no later than 7/31, right? Wrong. After a second follow up from Case Management to see if I had received my new card, which I hadn't...it was determined that there was some type of mistake made and the card didn't actually get sent out until........TODAY!!! That's right one week completely without the use of a receiver (which was a replacement for a receiver that had guide issues, but I could still watch it!!!) and now I have another 3 - 5 days to wait for a new access card, which MAY resolve the issues I was having...

I have been very calm and courteous to everyone I have spent 5 hours on the phone with in the past week and a half, but I am just about to the tipping point on this one... :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.