DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AllStar
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like hardware suggestions and possible solutions. Here's my deal; I'm running an HR24-500 along with the AM21 OTA tuner. I hadn't been watching any OTA content for at least a couple years and only recently decided to get back into seeing what's out there in terms the locals.

As I'd suspected and found to be true, the AM21 had reached end of life some time ago and with that, any Guide and locals' database updates were lacking. In my case, it's no longer finding or recognizing a number of OTA locals in my area including one of the major network affiliates, KCRA in Sacramento (NBC). If it were not for that, I'd be okay with it as it still does find most if not all of any other local or distant OTA stations I'd be interest in watching.

With that said and knowing its long given up the ghost, I'm considering a move to an OTA DVR solution. The simpler the better, meaning, all I'd be using it for is in effect to record OTA content, pretty much just like the AM21 did in conjunction with the Hr24. Something with a guide that's at least equal to if not better than DTV's Guide in terms of functionality.

I'm looking into and am kind of leaning towards the TiVO Bolt OTA.

FWIW; I'm all about Windows, Android, Chromecast and the like; nothing against Apple, just sayin'.

?

·
AllStar
108 Posts
I have quite a few DirecTV dvrs in my house and also retired my AM21 due to reliability issues. I use a TiVo Roamio and think the interface is great. The ability to extract a recorded show is also a huge plus for me even though it only happens once or twice a year. Roamios are sometimes available as refurbs with lifetime service for pretty cheap. One caveat is the small internal fan was too loud IMHO and I ended up removing it and bolting on a silent 80mm case fan.

Android TV OTA with hdhomerun I found underwhelming, particularly with regards to skipping ahead or back in a program. Mythtv was a hassle. Amazon recast dvr seems intriguing and I might try that out too if I was just getting into it although it doesn't support program extraction.

**EDIT** With TiVo just announcing they will start inserting their own ads on their devices I would NOT recommend any Tivo solution.

·
Legend
332 Posts
I'd like hardware suggestions and possible solutions. Here's my deal; I'm running an HR24-500 along with the AM21 OTA tuner. I hadn't been watching any OTA content for at least a couple years and only recently decided to get back into seeing what's out there in terms the locals.

As I'd suspected and found to be true, the AM21 had reached end of life some time ago and with that, any Guide and locals' database updates were lacking. In my case, it's no longer finding or recognizing a number of OTA locals in my area including one of the major network affiliates, KCRA in Sacramento (NBC). If it were not for that, I'd be okay with it as it still does find most if not all of any other local or distant OTA stations I'd be interest in watching.

With that said and knowing its long given up the ghost, I'm considering a move to an OTA DVR solution. The simpler the better, meaning, all I'd be using it for is in effect to record OTA content, pretty much just like the AM21 did in conjunction with the Hr24. Something with a guide that's at least equal to if not better than DTV's Guide in terms of functionality.

I'm looking into and am kind of leaning towards the TiVO Bolt OTA.

FWIW; I'm all about Windows, Android, Chromecast and the like; nothing against Apple, just sayin'.

?
I use the Tablo OTA DVR. It uses the home network for all tv's and no additional equipment at each location. You can add whatever size external drive you want.
J C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.