DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Godfather
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find this on the forum, although it may have been discussed.

I want to replace an HR20 with an HR34. The question is what is involved?

Currently I have an HR20, D10 (receiver), R10 and R15. These are driven off four wires from my dish into an 8-way multi-switch. I have material on my HR20 I may not have time to watch before I get the HR34. I don't need/want whole home because I only have one HD TV.

It appears I need a new dish and input lines installed for the HR34 (SWM?). Any problems connecting the other units?

I have read on the forums that I will have to get whole home to get the HR34. Is that really necessary?

What can I do about the material I haven't watched? One possibility is to keep the HR20 signed up but not connected for a while. However, that isn't my preference.

I already have seven tuners and will go to ten, I guess. What does that mean?

Anything else I should know?

There is another option. That is to drop the D10 and add another HD DVR so that I have two feeding the one HD TV. I'm told this has been done. Is it a better way to go? Five tuners is nice but four would probably be just as good. Presently, if I run out of tuners I record on the Tivo, transfer to VCR and watch on the HD TV (SD of course).

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
The HR34 must be on SWM. The HR20 will work with SWM. None of your other units will work with SWM. So basically you cannot get an HR34 and keep your older legacy units active. (Well, actually you can, but not with an approved installation.)

The D10 doesn't matter, it is only a receiver not a DVR so you don't have recordings on it. The R10 should let you to continue watching recordings even if it is not hooked up to a dish. The R15 won't let you do that indefinitely, but you probably could watch recordings for a while. Make sure you disconnect it from the dish before you deactivate it if you want to try watching recordings afterwards.

With SWM, you can run the HR34 and the HR20, so just keep the HR20 active until you have watched everything on it that is important.

· Godfather
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That pretty much tells me the way to go is to deactivate the R10 and add another H?, or is there a multi-switch that handles more than eight lines?

A plus is DTV is currently offering a free HD DVR to long-time subscribers. It probably requires a 2-yr commitment, but I'm not planning to leave anyhow.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,619 Posts
rbpeirce said:
That pretty much tells me the way to go is to deactivate the R10 and add another H?, or is there a multi-switch that handles more than eight lines?
It isn't about how many "lines" a multiswitch has but what equipment it is compatible with. Your SD receivers are simply not compatible with the newfangled multiswitch technology (SWiM) required for the HR34. More importantly to you, the HR34 is not compatible with the WB68 that you have now.

DIRECTV will want to replace ALL of your SD receivers with some manner of HD equipment so you can take full advantage of their Whole Home DVR Service.

There are three approaches:

1. trash the SD receivers/DVRs entirely. This severely limits the number of TVs you can watch (RF modulators are not a complete solution) until DIRECTV makes their C31 RVU client box available.

2. replace the SD receivers/DVRs (at substantial expense) with SD or HD SWiM compatible equipment.

3. go through someone other than DIRECTV and split an SWiM multiswitch along with your existing WB68. This will allow you to run your existing SD equipment unchanged.

DIRECTV does make SWiM capable SD equipment but it doesn't make much sense to go that route since you're having to spend substantial dollars either way to "upgrade".

· AllStar
176 Posts
When I got my HR34, I had them move my HR-20 to the Sony SD TV in my bedroom and went with Whole-Home. That way I could still watch all of the HR-20 recordings on my HDTV in the living room, plus I could watch any recordings from either unit in the bedroom too now if I wanted.

· Godfather
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
augisdad said:
When I got my HR34, I had them move my HR-20 to the Sony SD TV in my bedroom and went with Whole-Home. That way I could still watch all of the HR-20 recordings on my HDTV in the living room, plus I could watch any recordings from either unit in the bedroom too now if I wanted.
That's an interesting solution. I didn't think it made sense to hang an HD DVR on an SD TV, but maybe it does. I'll have to think about that.

· Godfather
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
harsh said:
It isn't about how many "lines" a multiswitch has but what equipment it is compatible with. Your SD receivers are simply not compatible with the newfangled multiswitch technology (SWiM) required for the HR34. More importantly to you, the HR34 is not compatible with the WB68 that you have now.
I understand that. My current multi-switch has four lines in and eight out. I was asking about the same type of multi-switch with more than eight out so I could have four 2-tuner DVRs and the R10. The option was to shut down the R10, which I could easily do. I would just add another 2-tuner DVR.

Converting all my SD equipment to work on SWM wasn't a consideration. I would prefer to buy new TVs and upgrade to HD if I was going to spend that kind of money, but I wold rather do neither.

· Godfather
549 Posts
To the OP: Here's the quick DIY (not Directv approved) method to get things going:

Short version - use four of your WB68 outputs to feed the inputs of a SWM16 switch. Use its two SWM ports to each feed one HD DVR.

Long version:

- obtain a SWM16 multiswitch with a PI29 power inserter - cheap from ebay or amazon (about $60).

- install it near to the existing WB68 switch. Hook up the power inserter's (PI) red port to the SWM16 PWR port with a short RG6 cable if you have an AC plug nearby (otherwise you can insert power downstream, at whatever DVR hooks to the SWM1 port). (Do not mount the PI outdoors!) Make absolutely sure that the red port on the PI is feeding upstream (toward the SWM16), and NOT downstream (toward a receiver or DVR). Don't power up the PI just yet.

- run four short cables from any four of the outputs of the WB68 to the four main inputs of the SWM16 (do not use the inputs marked Flexport). Unhook the two WB68 output cables that run to your old HR20. Leave the rest of the older SD equipment hooked to the WB68 as always.

- you have two SWM output ports on the SWM16. These will run an HR34 (5 tuners) or HR2x type DVR (2 tuners) with only one wire. Each port will feed a maximum of 8 tuners, using splitters. Since you will only have two of these DVRs, you can just avoid splitters and hook each DVR directly to one SWM port. For the HR20, just reuse one of the cables that was formerly hooked to the WB68 (use the cable that goes to SAT1 on the DVR; disconnect the cable that goes to SAT2). For the HR34, depending on location, either run new RG6 coax cable to it, or use the other cable that used to feed the HR20. Hook each of these two DVR cables to one of the SWM ports on the SWM16.

- Turn on the power inserter. Wait about 10 minutes. Unplug, then plug back in, one of the DVRs. Wait until it completely comes up. It should pick up the new SWM setup automatically. When you have a picture and sound, do the same with the other DVR.

- You now have SWM working, without disturbing any of your old SD legacy equipment.

Like I said, Directv will not do an install this way because they want to sell you all new HD equipment and their whole home system. What I'm not completely sure of is whether they will activate an HR34 on your account without a truck roll to your house (and subsequent replacement of all older boxes). Maybe someone else here knows for sure.

Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.