DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris, can we get a [REPLY] button added back to the bottom of each post? I mentioned this several years ago (see quote below) and you responded, but somewhere along the way either the idea got lost in the shuffle or if there was a reply button, it went away in a vB upgrade. Right now, as far as I can tell, posters don't have the option to do a reply only unless they go to the end of a thread page.
02-16-04

1. It seems there are an ever-increasing number of "reply with quote" posts which tend to clutter up a thread and irritate me no end. Many times I have seen a full quote immediately following the subject post, which is redundant and unnecessary. I believe the problem is the small "Reply" button at the bottom-right of each message frame which does not adequately identify its function.¹ It should read [Reply w/quote] or the like, in order to give the poster a clue as to what he is doing. Also, maybe move the regular "Reply" to the right, just below the 'reply w/quote' button, and rename it as [Reply, no quote]. This should be the default option anyway.

Great suggestions Nick.

1. Before making any changes to the buttons, I'm waiting for the final graphic set for VB3. Along with the gold release of the forum software will come a complete photoshop graphic set which will enable me to easily make changes. This will also keep them looking uniform. No release date has been set but when you see me announce that the forum software is now final, remind me to change the "reply" buttons.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=23842&highlight=Reply
I'm using the DBSTalk Blue style option.

Thanks!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
You should three options, for an unlocked thread.
In the lower right of the post.

Quote; Which takes you straight to advanced reply with quoted text.
Bulk Quote; where you can toggle multiple posts to quote at once
Quick Reply (Paper with an arrow), which will jump you straight to the Quick Reply box

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, Earl, but as a long-time user, I never noticed those ambiguous,
unlabled icons, so what are the chances that many other posters don't either. What is the
problem with a button that says [REPLY] in plain, good old-fashioned American :flag: English? :grin:

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Nick said:
Thanks for the response, Earl, but as a long-time user, I never noticed those ambiguous,
unlabled icons, so what are the chances that many other posters don't either. What is the
problem with a button that says [REPLY] in plain, good old-fashioned American :flag: English? :grin:
:whatdidid

I just found the QuickReply jump...

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Much like a kid who gets all bundled up on Christmas morning to take his new bike for a spin, Nick has removed the ribbon from his new shovel and gone digging for old topics. :D

I too am annoyed by the "full quote immediately following the subject post, which is redundant and unnecessary." The nice thing about web forums, as opposed to usenet or e-mail groups, is that the posts always arrive in order and previous ones are always available with a few clicks of the scroll wheel or tap of the PageUp button.

We used to have [reply], or maybe it was [quick reply], that would put a snippet of the subject post in the border bar (in the Old Icons skin, the blue separator bar showing the post's date and number in the thread). It seemed like a good way to handle it if the context of the response make it obvious or it didn't immediately follow the subject post.

· Founder
17,247 Posts
I looked into this a bit over the weekend but decided that we really don't need a "Reply" button in each post. It's never really been an issue and the quick reply does a pretty good job doing the same function. It would also mean yet another mod I have to accomplish when I do software upgrades and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.