DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever a software release comes out, there is never a mention of Audio-Video Synch problems as either a fix or even as a known bug. I know from searching the forums that many people are experiencing the same problem. However, it seems that the necessary people are not aware that the problem exists or if they are, how big the problem really is.

If anyone w/ an audio synch problem can post here about their problem, we can see how wide spread the problem really is and maybe then it can get the proper attention.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Please do reply, if possible:

1) Channel and which show (and if it is a local, which local region is it)
2) If you where watching WHILE it was recording, or if the show was completely recorded.
3) How you have your audio connected (Optical to Amp, HDMI, ect)
4) Is it every recording? most, ect...
5) and if anything you do stops the audio/sync issue (like playing with a 1 second delay for live recordings), or stoping and starting playback.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
sgconer said:
Whenever a software release comes out, there is never a mention of Audio-Video Synch problems as either a fix or even as a known bug. I know from searching the forums that many people are experiencing the same problem. However, it seems that the necessary people are not aware that the problem exists or if they are, how big the problem really is.

If anyone w/ an audio synch problem can post here about their problem, we can see how wide spread the problem really is and maybe then it can get the proper attention.
This is a VERY complicated problem without even considering the HR20. Regular OTA has some of the same issues, with nothing but the TV connected. Some local stations are better than others, some do it more often than others, some don't hardly do it at all. Then bring in the satellite. My Samsung 360 (HD), did it ...again, some channels worse than others, some bad one day, good the next, (even varied by program).

So...be careful about arriving at conclusions...there are a TON of variables and isolating them is going to be very difficult.

I have very few audio/sync issues with the HR20 (certainly no more than the Sammy had) I'm watching MSNBC right now (Chris Matthews) and and have no perceptible delay issues.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

2) If you where watching WHILE it was recording, or if the show was completely recorded.
5) and if anything you do stops the audio/sync issue (like playing with a 1 second delay for live recordings), or stoping and starting playback.
How do you do a 1-second delay?

·
Legend
200 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

1) All channels.
2) Happens on both live and recorded.
3) HDMI and RBG - happens on both - nothing through an amp
4) TV is on most of the day; the later in the day the worse it gets, almost as though the unit is overheating. Most things recorded are evening programs so most of them have it big time.
5) Have not been able to stop it yet. Except, of course, going to bed at night and then turning it on in the morning.
Something else weird on mine - I use an RF modulator from the - can't think of the word but it is the yellow video output and red and white audio - which then feeds the signal through the coax cable that we used to use for antenna, so basically a TV in a different room gets the same feed if hooked to coax. In the morning, when everything is working, the sound is pretty much synced across the board. As the day progresses, the audio between the two goes out of sync, however, the audio on the tvs with the coax is synced with its video.

If it makes a difference I have a four week old Sony 50 inch Wega LCD projectin TV

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
deebeeeff said:
How do you do a 1-second delay?
Pause the unit for a few moments... and let it play from there.
Basically the point is that you are playing back RECORDED material, instead of stuff comming in live.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

#1 - This week Jerhico, local KEYE-DT Austin
#2 - No, went to watch it the next day
#3 - Optical to A/V receiver, HDMI to TV, out of sync on both
#4 - No
#5 - No, nothing I did would get it back into sync

I also recorded this same showing on a completly different HR20 system, also using optical to A/V and HDMI to TV with different audio receiver and TV and no problems on that one. But prior week the same thing happen with Ugly Betty (KVUE-DT Austin) on the HR20 that recorded Jerhico just fine. So this has happened on two completly different setups.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
I think some people notice it more than others. If I were going to guess, I would say my video comes about 1/8 second before the audio.... It drives me nuts. However, my wife doesn't notice it at all..... She thinks I'm nuts.

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Optical to Onkyo, HMDI to TV , Haven't done much recording, but see it on live TV, almost always on ESPN,:mad: :mad: :mad: watching Gameday. Drives me CRAZY!!!!!

·
Legend
124 Posts
As said above, there are many variables.

When everything is working correctly, my SXRD has a 35ms lip sync lag (right on the edge of what is noticeable) due to video processing. I've had local digital stations with lags as long as 150ms. These examples are with HDMI from HD Tivo to the SXRD and optical digital to the pre amp.

If your receiver/audio processor lacks a lyp sync adjustment, the following does an excellent job:
http://www.felston.com/dd540/index.htm

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
MBA said:
Optical to Onkyo, HMDI to TV , Haven't done much recording, but see it on live TV, almost always on ESPN,:mad: :mad: :mad: watching Gameday. Drives me CRAZY!!!!!
Same here with just ESPNHD. Components to tv w/ optical to yamaha. RCA same issue.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
I too am having a problem with audio synch only on one station though. Here are the particulars.

1) local Atlanta channel 46 CBS HD (all and only HD shows SD commercials are fine)
2) all shows are completely recorded although I have tuned to the channel to find the same problem last night
3) Connection uses HDMI to tv and Optical to A/V Receiver (Onkyo) Sound out of tv cracks but can be heard. Sound from reciver goes in and out.
4) This happens on every HD recording only
5) Nothing as of yest has helped. I have rebooted the box several times to no avail

·
Legend
150 Posts
Last night...

Watching Gray's Anatomy on KMBC-HD out of Kansas City.
It was for one whole segment about 10-15 minutes into the show.
Watching live and recording it.
Optical output to receiver.

It was REALLY bad for about 5 minutes, but then we watched the rest of the show with no problems...I'm wondering if the issue was with the feed from the local affiliate, or possibly ABC national.

Oh, and I haven't checked the recordings I've done.

·
Legend
144 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
NBC--The Office

Complely recorded.

Optical to receiver

4) Is it every recording? most, etc.
Not every, but WAY too often.

No--nothing stops it--and I REALLY hope it gets fixed.....................

·
Legend
153 Posts
I get a sync problem occasionally when doing a 30 skip on a fully recorded show. A quick double hit on the pause will get it back in sync.

Audio is via optical to my pre. Video is via HDMI direct to the projector.

·
1 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

1 happens on any channel
2 was not recording
3 connecte by HDMI
4 every recording
5 nothing stops it. cant figure out how to fix it yet.

·
Legend
200 Posts
Regarding live shows, one thing I noticed last night and I am still following up on as I have time.
Out of sync on HDMI, so then I cycle through the inputs, which in my case means ANT, DVD, VCR, HR20 connected to RBG, and finally back to the same HR20 connected through HDMI.
Oddly enough, the RBG sync is fine and then when I get back to the HDMI it is synched as well.
Haven't check this oddness with recorded material yet.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

1) Happens on all HD channels, but most noticeable on MPEG4 local channels NBC and CBS (the only two I get in the Seattle area). Happens on recorded and live shows. Resetting seems to get the sync closer than prior to the reset, but eventually it gets unwatchable requiring another reset.

2) Both, happens during live & recorded shows

3) Audio is connected to my TV directly through HDMI

4) Happens for any recording that is HD

5) The only thing that seems to make the problem better is resetting the unit. After the reset, it's still not perfect, but watchable.

This is a new issue for me with the latest software download.

Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.