DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mentor
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have Dish500 w/ DishProPlus lnb pointing at 110/119 with Dish300 DishPro lnb fed to the 3rd dish port of the Dish500 DPP for 61.5. Running over single line to a vip622 with separator for both tuners.

Been struggling to re-aim my dish from 61.5 to 129 to get local HD and have a couple questions. First, I replaced the reflector on my dish 300 with a dish 500 reflector hoping to get better signal strength. The arm on the 300 is shorter than the 500 and I'm wondering how much of a problem this might be - ideally do I need to use the 500 arm with the single lnb adapter to get the proper focal length for the lnb?

Secondly, since I have 61.5 locked and working, am I correct to believe that I should be able to set the point dish screen to 61.5 sat and use this screen to find 129? Or is it possible that the switching gets in the way of finding 129 and I need to connect it directly to the 622 in order to locate?

·
Mentor
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate the response (particularly since I'm about to climb the ladder to resolve this). I know that they do make an inline adapter for the Dish 500 which is what I was wondering about using rather than the 500 reflector on the Dish 300. I'm considering puting the Dish 300 reflector back on just out of concern for this so interested in any additional thoughts on this.

As far as aiming, my fear has been that if I set the point dish to 129 since it isn't already configured for this sat via check switch, that the tuner won't be looking through the single dish when aiming and I'll be wasting time. But maybe you're right, I need to run a check switch without the dish locked to a sat in order to clear it out? And it will just know then that when I'm pointing to 129 to use the second dish? Or maybe I am better off eliminating the switches altogether by hooking up only the single dish to aim (but this is a bit of work to hook up from a wiring standpoint, on top of it I don't like heights and the dishes are on a pole alongside of the house). Hmmmm..... just don't know what to do now!

·
Mentor
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to seek professional assistance in the end, scheduled for Wednesday, but it sounds like I'm going to want to either get the "I" yoke for the Dish 500 or put the Dish 300 reflector back on the Dish 300 arm. From what I've seen with a friends setup, TP 31 seems to be strongest on 129 and that is what I was using to aim but clearly the dish 500 reflector must have been throwing off the alignment - elevation in particular. I say this because after giving up due to being so frustrated trying to find 129 I pointed back to 61.5 and it turned out that with the 500 reflector on the 300 arm I had to go down 5 degrees from what the elevation should have been for 61.5. With this information I probably could have found 129 knowing that I needed to go lower than I was expecting to go; I had no prob finding 110/119 as a reference for where to go but I was just too frustrated at this point (not to mention cold here in Minnesota!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.