14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tree Wood Plant Sun hat Rural area
Wood Plant Fence Tree Wall
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gadget Electricity Electrical wiring
Plant Tree Land lot Grass Swing
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Gadget Electricity Electrical wiring
Plant Tree Land lot Grass Swing
Recently, we noticed that each of our "three client-receivers" loses the satellite signal when we change channels on all of our TV with exception of Genie Lite receiver. This is really frustrating and the aggravation grows exponentially because we pay for service, we pay for a maintenance plan and yet AT&T-DirecTV lacks "professional customer service". I checked all the connections they secured tight.

I am exhausted of troubleshooting because I am not on their payroll [they should hire me] and nothing resolves the problem; however, I find it very peculiar that the FCC recently required "People who watch free over-the-air television with an antenna will need to re-scan their TV set each time a station moves to continue receiving the local channel. Re-scanning only applies to people who receive their local channels using a TV antenna. Cable and satellite subscribers are not affected".

Our Equipment listed in our account on the ATT-DirecTV website states
ATT-DIRECTV Software States that our Hardware includes:
  • ODU - 18 X 20 ODU - 18 X 20
  • Genie Lite, DIRECTV H44-100
  • DIRECTV C51-700
  • DIRECTV C51-100
  • DIRECTV C51-100

Change Notice #1 - September 13, 2020

Our Equipment listed in our account on the ATT-DirecTV website states that our Hardware includes: ATT-DirecTV the Technician informed me that this is always incorrect it was most likely our original installation. This explains why I can never see my equipment in the website "My Equipment" Function Button
  • ODU - 18 X 20 ODU - 18 X 20
  • DIRECTV C51-700
  • DIRECTV C51-100
  • DIRECTV C51-100

Today, Sunday September 13, 2020
We get a email message from ATT-DirecTV stating that we owe $99.00 for a Genie Lite I hope this is referring to our old the Genie Lite that he left with me; consequently, I need to obtain a "Return Equipment Shipping Label"! Once the Genie Lite is returned then the charge should get credited back to our account. We pay for a maintenance plan, so there shouldn't be a charge for the service

On Saturday, September 12, 2020
ATT-DirecTV Technician arrived at approximately 1000hrs; commenced looking at the kitchen TV - Technician said that our problem is a software problem and that it only occurs to the Genie Lite boxes; due to all the restrictions ie., the technician cannot upgrade to full Genie because that requires that the customer call "Customer Service" to upgrade to the full Genie with DVR service, which according the Technician stated that full-size Genie does not have the software problem; [AT&T Asian Telephone & Telegraph constantly up-selling]. I insisted that the Technician swap out our Genie Lite with a new Genie Lite to confirm his claim because it is beyond the pale that a company would let a problem like this propagate for years and install the Genie Lite for "Business-to-Business" - I was stunned that the Technician stated that "AT&T Corporate" only installs Genie Lites for businesses. The Technician removed our Genie Lite; he discovered that we have a Power Inserter and stated that we don't need the Power Inserter because the Genie Lite has its on internal power (?); he reprogrammed each of the four-(4) remote controls;

On Friday, September 11, 2020
I researched the issue of our Television sets losing the Satellite signal when only changing the channel; this is aggravating because Memory does not retain the "Last 4 Channels" ; Communicated with ATT-DirecTV "Customer Service in the Philippines" - insisted that they send a technician because we pay for a Maintenance Plan and I am not on their payroll; consequently, our service call is scheduled for arrival between 0800hrs and 1200hrs on Saturday, September 12, 2020

On Monday, March 9, 2020
The ATT-DirecTV Maintenance representative, arrived Monday, March 9, 2020 at 0800hrs to assess our issues; he tested our DirecTV system configuration;
He replaced the following hardware;
  • the outdoor cable barrel-connectors on the existing house cable connections;
  • the DIRECTV 4-Way Wide band Single Wire Multi-Switch (SWM) Satellite Splitter (SPLIT4MRV) in the cable receptacle box ?
  • the Low Noise Block down-converter ( LNB ); thus, removing the receiver for one of their satellites
  • replaced three-(3) remote controls with new RC-73 remote controls;
  • reprogrammed each of the remote control paired with each television

End of Change Notice #1 - September 13, 2020

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Yep, based on reports for cable/sat/streaming from AT&T the one thing that is the same is excessively long hold times which are followed by the worst CSRs in existence and maybe getting transferred to someone that has a clue.

Reactions: wilbur_the_goose

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Recently, we noticed that each of our "three client-receivers" loses the satellite signal when we change channels on all of our TV with exception of Genie Lite receiver. This is really frustrating and the aggravation grows exponentially because we pay for service, we pay for a maintenance plan and yet AT&T-DirecTV lacks "professional customer service". I checked all the connections they secured tight.

I am exhausted of troubleshooting because I am not on their payroll [they should hire me] and nothing resolves the problem; however, I find it very peculiar that the FCC recently required "People who watch free over-the-air television with an antenna will need to re-scan their TV set each time a station moves to continue receiving the local channel. Re-scanning only applies to people who receive their local channels using a TV antenna. Cable and satellite subscribers are not affected".

Our ATT-DIRECTV Software States that our Hardware includes:
  • ODU - 18 X 20 ODU - 18 X 20 [I
  • DIRECTV C51-700
  • DIRECTV C51-100
  • DIRECTV C51-100
Are you sure that you have an 18 x 20 ODU or is that the information shown on your TV screen ?

Reactions: harsh

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Are you sure that you have an 18 x 20 ODU or is that the information shown on your TV screen ?
Just reread your first post.
"Software shows we have".
Those receivers should have a Slimline 3 ODU. On my screen it shows SL3.
Under that it says SWM.
I feel certain you must go back thru the satellite set up and change that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it was stated on the screen when I press for information about our Genie Lite; I planned to put eyes on the hardware and compare against the information shown on the screen. I just looked at the Genie Lite and the Power Inserter has [Signal to IRD is no light] and Power to SWM [Green Light]. I need to take note of the model numbers. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was almost 1 1/2 years that a AT&T-DirecTV Tech showed up at our house due to my persistence to force AT&T-DirecTV to follow through on our "paid maintenance plan" service - the tech changed out the LNB I believe from one that looks like this DIRECTV Triple LNB for Phase III Satellite Dish LNB (SALNB3) to what looks like DIRECTV Slimline 3 SWM LNB for Satellites 99 101 and 103 (SL3-SWM)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Ummmm....have you tried calling their customer support?
Yeah that is par for the course these days and even when you get someone it is probably someone overseas that has no clue what DirecTV even is. I asked because the title of your post says they have no support and while it isn't great they do have some support. I would try the chat and get someone scheduled to come out. More times than not when you have a problem with your equipment the person on the other end of the line is pretty much useless. All they do is tell you to do the same thing you have already tried 10 times and then eventually they schedule someone to come out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Our ATT-DIRECTV Software States that our Hardware includes:
  • ODU - 18 X 20 ODU - 18 X 20 [I
  • DIRECTV C51-700
  • DIRECTV C51-100
  • DIRECTV C51-100
I ran another system test and noticed the following information on the screen:
  • Dish Type - SL3 LNB
  • Switch Type - SWM LNB
I also checked the signal strength of the 32 transponders which shows four rows and eight columns of numbers, most of the numbers in each row is 99 or 100, but the column four has 64, 42, 26, 0 - hopefully my attachment of the Signal Strength Test uploaded on the reply.

I called AT&T-DirecTV and finally got through to the Philippines [WTF]: I insisted that they send a technician - yippee we get to wait around for 4 hours and hopefully the Tech shows up tomorrow.

Thank You

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I ran another system test and noticed the following information on the screen:
  • Dish Type - SL3 LNB
  • Switch Type - SWM LNB
I also checked the signal strength of the 32 transponders which shows four rows and eight columns of numbers, most of the numbers in each row is 99 or 100, but the column four has 64, 42, 26, 0 - hopefully my attachment of the Signal Strength Test uploaded on the reply.

I called AT&T-DirecTV and finally got through to the Philippines [WTF]: I insisted that they send a technician - yippee we get to wait around for 4 hours and hopefully the Tech shows up tomorrow.

Thank You
There are some with some funky numbers.
My 4th column is 0, 63, 0, 100.

What do you get on 99ca ? Most all of the HD programming is on the 99 and 103 satellites.
Do not pay any attention to a satellite with an "s" after it. They are spot beams and the numbers are all over the place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that is par for the course these days and even when you get someone it is probably someone overseas that has no clue what DirecTV even is. I asked because the title of your post says they have no support and while it isn't great they do have some support. I would try the chat and get someone scheduled to come out. More times than not when you have a problem with your equipment the person on the other end of the line is pretty much useless. All they do is tell you to do the same thing you have already tried 10 times and then eventually they schedule someone to come out.
Exactly, I was on the telephone with the Philippines earlier today. I told him that I am not running to the TV to relay the messages from the TV; just schedule a technician to come out and do all the troubleshooting because we pay AT&T-DirecTV for the maintenance plan. They are all [Telephone, Television and Internet] the same with customer service whenever we have a problem. We pay for the maintenance plans therefore, I want them to send a "Qualified Technician". Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
There are some with some funky numbers.
My 4th column is 0, 63, 0, 100.

What do you get on 99ca ? Most all of the HD programming is on the 99 and 103 satellites.
Do not pay any attention to a satellite with an "s" after it. They are spot beams and the numbers are all over the place.
Those numbers are perfect. 101 has spot beams also and he is showing that

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
Exactly, I was on the telephone with the Philippines earlier today. I told him that I am not running to the TV to relay the messages from the TV; just schedule a technician to come out and do all the troubleshooting because we pay AT&T-DirecTV for the maintenance plan. They are all [Telephone, Television and Internet] the same with customer service whenever we have a problem. We pay for the maintenance plans therefore, I want them to send a "Qualified Technician". Thanks
The maintenance plan is not maintenance in the sense I think you think it is. It just covers service calls

·
Icon
1,660 Posts
You are wasting your time. You have already been told it is a software issue and it is. Ive seen this problem at least 20 times in the last week or so. Either wait till they send another software fix to it or cancel your service would be my suggestion. It is annoying but it only blinks out during channel changes and comes right back.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,706 Posts
Just curious, but why did the technician move the dish from the in ground pole to the fence? I could see future alignment issues with it being on the fence. Did he recommend that or did you ask him to move it?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Just curious, but why did the technician move the dish from the in ground pole to the fence? I could see future alignment issues with it being on the fence. Did he recommend that or did you ask him to move it?
It looks to me like he took it off the fence and moved it to the pole.

·
Icon
1,660 Posts
Looks like he was trying to "bring the job up to code" which is required any time a tech visits. He still missed a lot and would fail a QC if one was done. Just to name a few, he put an unnecessary splice at the odd, he didn't put a plastic conduit sweep at bottom of pole, he should put a ground strap around pole for the #17 static ground wire, he has a 21 volt power inserter in line with a receiver that has the power inserter built in so its not needed, unapproved connectors on the 21 volt PI and unapproved jumper cable on PI, just to name a few. None of this stuff will cause the problem though because the problem is a known issue since last update.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.