DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legend
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive my ignorance here, but I'm not understanding something with regard to the upscaling of signals (e.g. an SD program upscaled by the HR20 to 720p, letting your TV upscale instead, etc.).

I understand the HR20 upscaling SD if you set Native off and enable only 720p resolution (as I did on mine). But a lot of discussion mentions "letting the TV do the scaling instead as it probably does a better job". I understand what they are saying, but do TVs really "upscale" the signal from 480i to 720p?

Second, if the TVs really do upscale the signal, then do the new "upconvert" DVD players do any good at all versus a plain old progressive scan player?

BTW, if it matters, I have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma TV.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Steve

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
I think there is a confusion about upscaling and upconverting. I am not an expert but my understanding is that scaling has more to do with stretching the image to fill the screen while converting actually changes the resolution (480<->720<->1080), including interlaced to progressive. I have the same TV as yours and I am pretty sure it does not upconvert the signal (it will downconveret 1080p to 1080i though), it can only scale. That's why you would use HR20 or DVD to upconvert the incoming signal. As far as scaling goes, that's personal preference. Personally, I think Panny's scaler is better than HR20. Still, HR20 scales good enough that I let it scale as well.

·
Legend
187 Posts
mangust said:
I think there is a confusion about upscaling and upconverting. I am not an expert but my understanding is that scaling has more to do with stretching the image to fill the screen while converting actually changes the resolution (480<->720<->1080), including interlaced to progressive. I have the same TV as yours and I am pretty sure it does not upconvert the signal (it will downconveret 1080p to 1080i though), it can only scale. That's why you would use HR20 or DVD to upconvert the incoming signal. As far as scaling goes, that's personal preference. Personally, I think Panny's scaler is better than HR20. Still, HR20 scales good enough that I let it scale as well.
Thanks for that post! That clears up the question I have been having for a long time. My tv has scaling, to fill the screen (better than the HR20), but I kept wondering because I didn't think it would up-convert the resolution and it looked like people were saying most tvs did.

·
Legend
239 Posts
mangust said:
Your plasma is a fixed pixel display, and must upconvert 480i to its native resolution. It also must down convert 1080i or 1080P. Some CRT displays can support more than 1 resolution without up-conversion, but fixed pixel displays (LCD, Plasma, DLP and LCOS) must modify the resolution of the incoming signal to match their native resolution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.