DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,489 Posts
Link said:
I just meant that with the launch of digital signals being the only VHF commercial station in a market isn't going to matter as much in the future.
There are some signal differences between VHF and UHF. Perhaps some VHFs will move to UHF to get better coverage without (thanks to virtual numbers) giving up their historic dial positions.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,716 Posts
Link said:
I just meant that with the launch of digital signals being the only VHF commercial station in a market isn't going to matter as much in the future.
Sorry, NOT true - WILL-DT is on ch 9. But also be aware that WILL's towers are in Monticello, while WCIA's are in Seymour, which is about 10-15 miles farther east of Monticello. I actually AM pulling in WILL-DT only 20' off the ground with a strong locked signal with no pixelating, etc.

Also, there is a rumor going around that WCIA may move back to 3 after the analog shuts down. (As JL just mentioned)

Didn't WAND used to have a repeater in Danville on channel 68 several years back?
They STILL do, but it got moved to ch 31 a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
53,489 Posts
WCIA filed to stay on DT 48 on February 9th, 2005. (See here.)

It is a Nexstar station ... I'd be suprised if they were still licensed in 2009. The renewal they filed in 2005 and 2006 still has not been approved.

·
Legend
230 Posts
The NAB supplies these letters and guidance to members, they just insert the appropriate call letters.

We lost freedom of choice because of the NAB and the "elected" officials they bribe with free air time at local affiliates.

Disgraceful.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,716 Posts
James Long said:
WCIA filed to stay on DT 48 on February 9th, 2005.
I believe you, this is something that a couple people "in the know" in Champaign on the avs board had mentioned very recently. But knowing Nexstar, this could be true for a simple reason. It is MUCH cheaper to transmit on VHF channels than UHF channels & cover the SAME area. (I have heard this about other VHF stations contemplating doing the same after analog shut-down) Knowing what tightwads Nexstar is, it would actually make sense. :rolleyes:

It is a Nexstar station ... I'd be suprised if they were still licensed in 2009. The renewal they filed in 2005 and 2006 still has not been approved.
Are you saying that you do NOT think Nexstar will be owning TV stations in the future? (or at least THIS one anyway)

·
Super Moderator
53,489 Posts
Nexstar has not been very proactive in making the shift to digital. They are certainly not a TV ownership company that I expect to succeed. Perhaps they will sell a few stations to get the cash to build what they need to build to stay on the air.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.