DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Godfather
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have been with D* (early 2000) I have been moving around a lot due to work. I have decided to retire early and head home permanently. I currently have a HR24-500, a HR-21-100, a H23-600 & a H21-200. I have not decided to use the mover's plan yet. Everything is setup already at my permanent home plus I don't want someone else messing with my equipment.

But I was thinking that I could get a HR34 I would only need one DVR. What are the chances of getting one free using the movers program? Also will my two other non-DVR receivers work with the HR-34 and the Whole House setup? Before I had one DVR in the L/R and one in the B/R. If I did the Whole House setup I could cut some of my cost, being I will be on a set income now.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
No issues with the H21 and H23. Only the H20 isn't compatible with Whole Home in terms of HD boxes. The HR34 does require SWM, which if you get rid of both your DVRs would be a new LNB on your dish.

If you've used the Movers connection within the last year, you may not qualify for it again.

As for cost, you would save one receiver fee, but if you don't have Whole Home service now, you'd need to add back $3.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not used the Mover's Connection plan in several years and I currently do not have the Whole Home service (still undecided).

I already have a deal for the NFL Ticket, but I will not need it anymore. I will be at home and I am a season ticket holder of my local team (Saints).

My biggest concern is I will need to empty the two DVR's before I do the swap to the HR34. I also read somewhere that the HR34 has another $20 charge for something. I will need to research this more.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am mainly looking into this receiver due to the 5 tuners. This would simplify my setup by deleting one DVR. If I get a monthly cost deduction that would be a plus. I am still reading everything I can about the HR34.

I will need it to do 3D, work with a AM21 (have one already) and video on demand (via wireless setup). I will most likely not use the Whole Home setup at all.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
"reubenray" said:
I am mainly looking into this receiver due to the 5 tuners. This would simplify my setup by deleting one DVR. If I get a monthly cost deduction that would be a plus. I am still reading everything I can about the HR34.

I will need it to do 3D, work with a AM21 (have one already) and video on demand (via wireless setup). I will most likely not use the Whole Home setup at all.
The 34 does all this. Actually, the only HD DVR that wouldn't is the HR20 as it doesn't support 3D.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great - now I need to decide if the HR34 is bug-free enough yet to take over all of my recording requirements.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
204 Posts
reubenray said:
Great - now I need to decide if the HR34 is bug-free enough yet to take over all of my recording requirements.
As far as recording requirements go, I have no complaints about the HR34.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
36,659 Posts
dpeters11 said:
The 34 does all this. Actually, the only HD DVR that wouldn't is the HR20 as it doesn't support 3D.
You can use a 20-700 as a server with 3D content on it and play it back on an HR that does support 3D. Shame to dump a good 20-700 for that reason.

Rich
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got everything I wanted for $21.75. The HR34, new dish, NFL Ticket Max, free premium channels for 3 months and complete install.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
204 Posts
reubenray said:
I got everything I wanted for $21.75. The HR34, new dish, NFL Ticket Max, free premium channels for 3 months and complete install.
You scored, brother!
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually I had two for directv and one for the OTA at each jack. I wanted to be prepared.
 

· This Space for Sale
Joined
·
7,436 Posts
Then I guess that third line can be used in the off-chance one of the others gets damaged.

Or do what I sometimes do: I've been known to move another TV and DVR into the living room to cover days when multiple high-interest sporting events are on. I just used my spare line from when I updated to SWiM last year. But I keep the line disconnected and a cap on the multi-switch when not in use.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top