DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 4 HD DVRs at Costco a little over 3 years ago. I'm thinking about moving away from Directv for awhile. Would I have to send to Directv the DVRs that I spent several hundred dollars on? My guess is that I may end up going back to Directv in a year or two and would want to keep those. Since I paid for them, they should be mine.

·
Icon
536 Posts
What you paid for was likely a lease. You will need to return them if that is the case. I'm not sure how long you can do this but you may want to just suspend your account for a period and then you would not have to return the boxes.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,316 Posts
More than likely, Yes!

I was doing a remodel on a couple of rooms earlier this year and called DirecTV and asked them to temporarily deactivate two DVR's (HR21's) from my account while the remodeling was going on. 21 days later, I received 2 recovery kits in the mail informing me I had to return the units.
I called DirecTV and again explained the situation and was told that either I return the units within 7 days or I would be charged a $250 non-return fee per unit. BTW, I was charged those Non-return fee's even though I returned the units and spent another 30 days fighting it with DirecTV with them going as far as to threaten to suspend my account.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,285 Posts
dancrouse said:
I purchased 4 HD DVRs at Costco a little over 3 years ago. I'm thinking about moving away from Directv for awhile. Would I have to send to Directv the DVRs that I spent several hundred dollars on? My guess is that I may end up going back to Directv in a year or two and would want to keep those. Since I paid for them, they should be mine.
Unless you paid around $500 for EACH HD DVR then you simply paid the upfront lease payment for these and they are the property of Directv. The receiver cartons would be clearly marked these are leases and would need to be returned to Directv.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,401 Posts
"dancrouse" said:
You can't do that with a leased car. And you can't do it with a leased DVR either. If you got them from Costco, they're leased. If you don't believe it, just read the contract that was in the box or ask DirecTV. You'll find out for sure in a few weeks when you get a bill for about $1000. DirecTV doesn't mess around. Sorry.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
You can suspend your account for up to 6 months. This can be done once per year.

@Fluffybear:

What you needed to do was suspend service on those DVRs as opposed to deactivating them. While not really publicized, it can be done.

- Merg

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Not really my concern, but I just love the way D* treats their good, loyal customers. Over the past 10 years, I have seen ridiculous numbers of complaints about D*'s equipment and service, or lack thereof. Frankly, I don't know why some of you keep sending them your money every month. :shrug: I only have crapcast, or is it comcrap, and I enjoy the best programming and most responsive CSR and local service I've ever had. My vintage DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) executes commands instantly, with 100% accuracy every time. It's mostly in the software and Comcast excels at that. It's not your grandfather's crapcast any more!

Good luck, fellas (and ladies) -- hopefully, things will get better, but don't hold your breath.

</rant>

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Nick said:
Frankly, I don't know why some of you keep sending them your money every month.
Well, Frankly, it is because most of us just don't have all the problems that some seem to have. I have two HR22-100's, one HR24-500, one H21-200, and one D11-500, and they all just simply work fine. :grin:

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
carl6 said:
Well, Frankly, it is because most of us just don't have all the problems that some seem to have. I have two HR22-100's, one HR24-500, one H21-200, and one D11-500, and they all just simply work fine. :grin:
+100....while occasionally slow my HR22's still work flawlessly, and my HR20 is faster than it ever has been since the HDGUI, and its an original HR20 from Oct. 2006.:)

·
Registered
931 Posts
As a general rule there have been no authorized third party "sales" of DTV receivers since 2006. What you paid are lease fees. DTV does not charge any equipment fees past the intial startup costs. For example you pay $199. for an HDDVR upfront whether you keep it 2 years or 20, and that is the ONLY equipment fee you will ever pay. The actual purchase-option cost for an HDDVR is $499. But as I have stated many times there is no benefit to owning a receiver these days

·
Large Member
4,867 Posts
wahooq said:
But as I have stated many times there is no benefit to owning a receiver these days
Well, a more correct statement would be "there are VERY FEW benefits to owning a receiver these days." :)

·
Hall Of Fame
7,316 Posts
The Merg said:
You can suspend your account for up to 6 months. This can be done once per year.

@Fluffybear:

What you needed to do was suspend service on those DVRs as opposed to deactivating them. While not really publicized, it can be done.

- Merg
That was the very first thing I asked about doing (I have done it in the past but never with a leased unit) but the CSR I spoke with initially stated I can only suspend an account not individual receivers (unless they are owned). She also noted on the account not to issue a return kit as customer would be reactivating both units as soon as they are done remodeling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.