DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever been able to get dish to load a previous version of firmware on their receiver? Like going from 6.13 back to 612?

CSR told me that was impossible. I've been in the IT field for 24 years and I find that really hard to believe. Actually I update firmware on many peices of equipment like switches, routers, access points and I've yet to find a way not to go back if you run into issues with the new firmware.

Would it not make sense in certain cases to revert back and see if the issue is solved. This would determine if it's software or hardware. Would it not also save alot of frustrated customers time in swapping boxes etc? Seems to me this is just good trouble shooting techniques.

Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
SE_Sooner said:
Has anyone ever been able to get dish to load a previous version of firmware on their receiver? Like going from 6.13 back to 612?

CSR told me that was impossible. I've been in the IT field for 24 years and I find that really hard to believe. Actually I update firmware on many peices of equipment like switches, routers, access points and I've yet to find a way not to go back if you run into issues with the new firmware.

Would it not make sense in certain cases to revert back and see if the issue is solved. This would determine if it's software or hardware. Would it not also save alot of frustrated customers time in swapping boxes etc? Seems to me this is just good trouble shooting techniques.

Thanks
Welcome to DISH Notwerk What you know they still haven't learned you will just have to wait for the next update and see what that screws up. After the receiver has been out for about a year then the updates slow down and software becomes more stable or they just give up.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
They can't update receivers on a individual bases. Not sure if the reason for this is a technical reason or just a business decisions based on man power it would take to do such a task but end result is I have never heard it happen and based on what I know of the update process I can see why.

To my knowledge they have rolled back an update a handful of times in the last 10 years and when they did this it was because of a wide spread issue introduced with a release.

If I remember your issue and loosing channels that don't appear to come back, this one definitely feels like a very local issue and since Dish does not have a fallback feature in their receivers your choices are to swap or wait.

One thing (Not sure if you tried) that you might want to try is

1) Disconnected your OTA,
2) Remove all your channels,
3) exit the local channel screen and when asked to save. Save.
4) Power cord reboot.
5) Scan the channel again (Should get none). (Exit and Save)
5) Power cord reboot again once the box comes up for good measure.
6) Hook up your OTA.
7) Scan again to see if they come back.

If this does not work.. Then you are left in my opinion with the two options of box swap or wait for an update. The other thing you can try is a NVRAM clear but that is not for the faint of heart and only should be done as a last measure. My guess is something got hosed up in the update and that is what is causing the loss of all your channels.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
What is a NVRAM clear and how do you do it?

· Registered
2,396 Posts
SE_Sooner said:
There is no way to go back to an earlier firmware. Dish could accomplish what you suggest and revert to an earlier firmware as a trouble shooting technique and would not need to have customers doing that.

Seems that after every update, people post about "new" problems and frequently there was no software error, but rather simply cockpit error. (That is not to say that there isn't frequent glitches with their firmware updates. :( )

· AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I guess it's time for a box swap since they really don't do to much unless a particular problem affects many receivers. Kind of a strange approach to tech support.

Ron, I have tried what you suggested, thank you for your time.

Saltidawg, I don't think I suggested customers being able to revert their f/w back, just inquired about Tech support doing this FOR customers to determine if there is a hardware or software problem. If you mean by "cockpit error" that I just don't know how to add locals on the 622, than your wrong. This is not a case of OHS.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
SE_Sooner said:
Thanks all. I guess it's time for a box swap since they really don't do to much unless a particular problem affects many receivers. Kind of a strange approach to tech support.
If E* is aware that there is a firmware induced problem with your equipment, I would hope they would not swap boxes, but rather fix the firmware issue.

If it is in fact a firmware update issue you would see the same problem with a new box. :)

9,883 Posts
scooper said:
In the past, even when Dish did do a rollback, they did it by changing the version number of the previous version to be higher than the "one that didn't work".
Scooper, I personally am not aware of Dish deploying this type of technique. I have, like I said earlier, seen them actually roll back a version on both the 811 and once on the 622 in the very early days of releases if I recall. So it can be done, just on a very rare occasion.

· AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SaltiDawg said:
If it is in fact a firmware update issue you would see the same problem with a new box. :)
Using this logic, every like receiver (622 etc) would all have exactly the same issues (firmware related). We all know this isn't the case. Just because it has 622 on the outside of the box does not mean it's exactly the same inside the box. There are many differences including Revisions of boards etc.

9,883 Posts
jclewter79 said:
What is a NVRAM clear and how do you do it?
Look at post 18 of this thread. This should be a last ditch attempt at one that should be done with caution and at user risk. IF things go bad to worse you might basically be stuck until a box swap arrives but in the past it has been known to clear up some issues that seem to be effecting only certain people.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=53806

9,883 Posts
SE_Sooner said:
Using this logic, every like receiver (622 etc) would all have exactly the same issues (firmware related). We all know this isn't the case. Just because it has 622 on the outside of the box does not mean it's exactly the same inside the box. There are many differences including Revisions of boards etc.
Definitely true.. My thought here is that perhaps it is something in the box itself or perhaps something did not get cleared properly during the update. I have always been of the opinion there there seems to be a small percentage of people that have some strange behavior right after an update. At times a power cord reset clears things up and other times it takes a box swap. There are even times where given a few days things clear up on their own.

If you feel box swap is coming.. You might want to give a NVRAM reset (clear) a chance to see if that clears things up if you have not already tried. Like I said above... THere is always that chance of things going from bad to worse but there is also a chance that if something got corrupted during the update that this would clear it out. Your choice to try ofcourse.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=53806

Given that I have not read any other threads about loosing all OTAs and not being able to get them back, I would be suprised if a box swap does not correct it. If it does not, my next guess would be something L6.13 in the OTA handling code does not like your DMA.

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
The reason they cannot do a reversion for just one box at a time is because unlike a cable system, E* can't send a signal to just one person. It goes to the satellite and then to everyone picking up signal from that location. To send an old version to just you, they would have to tell every box but yours not to look for the update, and then send it out. Which is kind of what they do for the initial software releases, but that's probably done to 100,000+ boxes at a time and in phases until either a major bug is found, or everyone has the updated s/w. As for you saying to just send out a new box, it might have a different board revision or whatnot inside....what if you end up with another that has the same board and thus the same problem? just keep sending new ones out until you get lucky? That's not highly cost-effective.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
puckwithahalo said:
The reason they cannot do a reversion for just one box at a time is because unlike a cable system, E* can't send a signal to just one person. It goes to the satellite and then to everyone picking up signal from that location. To send an old version to just you, they would have to tell every box but yours not to look for the update, and then send it out. Which is kind of what they do for the initial software releases, but that's probably done to 100,000+ boxes at a time and in phases until either a major bug is found, or everyone has the updated s/w.
DISH can send a hit out to one box, otherwise, I'm paying for your America's Everything Pack when I subscribed. :hurah: Besides, I've called Tech Support in the past and they've sent a hit to my box. So, if they really wanted to, I mean really wanted to, I don't see a limiting factor in sending a firmware to an individual box, will they do it, heck no, but can they, I don't see any technical reason why they couldn't.

· AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ron Barry, I tried resetting the NVRAM ram. It reset, but didn't help my problem. I really don't know if this is a hardware or software problem, but OTA channels did stop working after 6.13. Now it's possible the hardware failed at the same time or shortly after the f/w update, but I'll never know because I have no way to test this. I'm calling dish for a box swap. I just hope I don't get someone else's troubles.

Will I get a new 622 or a refurb?

Thanks guys for the help, much appreciated.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
In previous posts about firmware spools, someone has posted that firmware was only spooling to certain receivers... I don't see why this "range" couldn't be a range of one, and an individual receiver be rolled-back.

That said... I doubt there would be a big demand to do this, and it would create problems with Dish support if they had to simultaneously support not only multiple firmwares but the possibility of a single customer having an oddball firmware release from a rollback.

· AllStar
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HDMe said:
That said... I doubt there would be a big demand to do this, and it would create problems with Dish support if they had to simultaneously support not only multiple firmwares but the possibility of a single customer having an oddball firmware release from a rollback.
Let me clarify: If tech support would roll back a version for a customer, you could then determine if the problem was caused by the new firmware. If you roll back and the issue does not go away, then it's probably a hardware issue. Once you determine it's hardware then send the unit back.

I surly don't mean to imply dish should keep up with multiple f/w releases for "oddball" units. :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
DISH can send a hit out to one box, otherwise, I'm paying for your America's Everything Pack when I subscribed. Besides, I've called Tech Support in the past and they've sent a hit to my box. So, if they really wanted to, I mean really wanted to, I don't see a limiting factor in sending a firmware to an individual box, will they do it, heck no, but can they, I don't see any technical reason why they couldn't.
when a hit goes, it goes out saying "if you're one of these receivers, you get this programming ; to do a firmware roll back, would not only have to send a signal out saying "if you're this receiver, download this" , but also would have to spool that firmware up to the satellite to be downloaded

In previous posts about firmware spools, someone has posted that firmware was only spooling to certain receivers... I don't see why this "range" couldn't be a range of one, and an individual receiver be rolled-back.
it could be told to do it, the bigger issue is spooling the old firmware version up to the satellite i believe. Its what I was trying to say with my last post, but I did a poor job saying it. I think I got distracted by my girl when I was typing it and didn't type all I meant to.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Focus man, focus!

Along the lines of what you just said, AFAIK only one version of post-beta software for each receiver is available at any time (can Smith, P confirm?). Receivers keep on using whatever they have loaded until they see there is a different version, and that their ID# falls within the range of receiver numbers authorized to download it.

On those rare occasions when there is a roll-back, it goes to all receivers and uses the same previous version number.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.