Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

During my recent remodel of the house I pulled the satellite feed so I can rewire it.

I followed pretty much the wiring that the original installers had (kept most of the wire), just instead of leaving the wires going straight to the box, I added wall outlet plates and then a wire.

Currently, the wiring is as follows

Satellite/LBN -> wall plate -> Dish Network 2 way spliiter/combiner -> input1,input2 of the satellite box.

I still get picture, but when I go to diagnostics its says switch 2 is not working properly.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
George

·
Hall Of Fame
1,476 Posts
Does it say "switch 2" or "tuner 2"? Presumably you actually have only one switch, and since you haven't listed one above, you may be relying on the one built into the DishProPlus LNB.

You should make sure that all the wire you used is RG-6 (or better), and that none of the wiring is using RG-59 or any of the cables which Dish supplies which say "Only for use between satellite receiver and TV".

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slordak said:
Does it say "switch 2" or "tuner 2"? Presumably you actually have only one switch, and since you haven't listed one above, you may be relying on the one built into the DishProPlus LNB.

You should make sure that all the wire you used is RG-6 (or better), and that none of the wiring is using RG-59 or any of the cables which Dish supplies which say "Only for use between satellite receiver and TV".
It actually says "One of the satellite inputs of switches is not connected properly. Normal operations will be adversly affected."

Actually, Dish installers just used the grandfathered DirecTV cable which could be RG59. The only difference that I know before and now is that I terminate that cable at a wall plate and then run a RG6 cable to the satellite reciever, with the Dish splitter.

This cable runs all the way from the basement to the attic and then onto the roof. There is no simple way of replacing it. Furthermore, I have no roof access to the Dish (without calling the pros to go out there).

Here are the details of the diagnostic:

Satellite Input 1:
LNB Status: Direct Connect to a DPP-Twin
Port 1 DPP-TWIN 1990 Even, Odd
Port 2 DPP-Twin 110 Even, Odd
Port3 external LBN: DP-Dual 61.5 Even, Odd

Satellite Input 2:
LNB Status: Direct Connect to a DPP-Twin
Port 1 DPP: Twin Good Connection, No signal
Port 2 DPP- Twin Good Connection, No signal
Port 3 External LNB: DP-DUal Good Connection, No signal

·
Hall Of Fame
1,476 Posts
Either the second tuner has gone out on your receiver, or the cable is no good. Since the cable was recently tinkered with, this is the more likely culprit. Does it have any diplexers / splitters or other weird pieces of equipment on the cable run (not counting the DPP separator)?

Since DPP stacks so much information on the cable at once, it's more likely to be impacted by cable quality issues than legacy installations. While it may not be trivial to replace, this may be the only way to solve the problem in the long term...

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Completely disconnect ALL power to the switch (unplug all receivers or disconnect them from their sat coaxes). Then reconnect.

If the cable is RG-59 it can affect the second tuner. Another thing to check is the wall plate. Those barrel connectors may not be rated for satellite use. They can usually be replaced with a 2150MHz capable barrel.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran a fresh RG6 Belden from the wall plate to the reciever (about 7ft run). It seems to find the switch just fine now. However, the signal strenght is quiet low (around 55-60). It is raining here in Boston so it may be that as well, even before I made any changes it used to affect teh signal any time we have rain.

I am using the Levinton quickport connectors for my connection, and some Ideal terminations.

Does anyone have recommendations as to what connectors to use if not the Levinton ones from HD?

I want to make sure everything is all right with the signal before we start drywalling the ceiling downstairs.

The problem with pulling two new cables from the attic to the basement is that the cable termiantes on the roof (where the 2 Dish satellites are), and I do not have access to the room (no big latter).

Thanks,
George

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the clouds clearing, the signal is now back up to 80 or so. I dunno if it was any stronger.

Can old (RG59) cables affect the signal, and ultimately picture quality? Or if the signal is good, then all picture is rendered from the box (same PQ regardless of signal).

Also, I assume its RG59, but dunno. It was probably around 1997-1998 when Directv ran the cable.

Thanks,
George

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Old cable just doesn't go as high in frequency. You're blocking your second receiver. They don't make cable like they used to, they make it better. :)

(Now if this was a comparison between 2006 RG59 and RG6 I'd have a different answer - RG59 can work it just isn't built and tested to the same standards. But 2006 cable is better than 1997.)

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was to rewire, would the HD depot RG6 quad shield work just as good as any cable? I special ordered/used Belden, but if I was to swap out the two wire feeds from the roof I need to do it quick because they are starting to insulate & drywall my basement.

... Without going into depth with the satellite cable discussion.

Thanks,
George

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
Here to help --- even if it isn't strictly 622 ...

Whatever you get from wherever make sure the RG6 is swept tested to 2150MHz or higher. I got my big box of wire (contractor pack) at Lowes. Home Depot should offer similar. Read labels!

·
AllStar
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So last quick question?

The easiest to do is pick up RG6 Quad shield from HD (about $.27 a foot). I will make two runs. Here is the info:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100070660

I have been picky about wire for the rest of my installation. For some points I used the fancy Belden 1694, but that's too expensive for these long runs. I also been looking into Belden 7916 (says 3.0ghz sweep on the wire).

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/cgi-bin/store.php?search=yes&detail=yes&item_no=BEL-7916A-9-C

I would prefer to use the HD stuff as I don't have to wait for the wire to be delivered half way across the country, and can rewire today and/or tomorrow.

Thanks for the info again!

I am wiring it all up to 622 reciever, but yeah, I should have posted in the tech/general forum.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
53,879 Posts
The Home Depot cable looks good enough (swept to 2.2 GHz).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.