DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a Dish RF Antenna for my R15. I ordered the RF remote, but I do not want to pay another $20 for the antenna, especially since I have an old Dish antenna lying around.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There is nothing special about the antenna... it is just a metal rod

·
Legend
109 Posts
raider said:
Can I use a Dish RF Antenna for my R15. I ordered the RF remote, but I do not want to pay another $20 for the antenna, especially since I have an old Dish antenna lying around.
Doesn't the antenna come with the remote? I see on the DirecTv webpage where to order the remote but it really doesn't say anything about the antenna. I almost ordered one just "assuming" the rf antenna came with it.

·
8 Posts
I just don't get it... Why won't D* tell us that the R15 IS enabled for RF???

I tried the trick posted in this site. Bought the RF remote (in fact, as also noted here, the remote comes with the instructions on how to make it work with th R15... it just doesn't tell you that the 6 digits you need to type are the last 6 digits of the R15 address). I used an E* antenna, because D* won't send you one with the remote. The E* antenna had come with an RF remote that they had sent me when mine went bad...

Anyway... long story short, my R15-300 is now RF enabled !!!

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
prashp1 said:
Can I use Dish Network UHF antenna? Does it have to be RF antenna? Does it make a difference? Thanks
If it will screw into a co-ax type connection, sure could...... I got into the attic and got the one off my old C-Band 4DTV one.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
Necochino said:
I just don't get it... Why won't D* tell us that the R15 IS enabled for RF???

I tried the trick posted in this site. Bought the RF remote (in fact, as also noted here, the remote comes with the instructions on how to make it work with th R15... it just doesn't tell you that the 6 digits you need to type are the last 6 digits of the R15 address). I used an E* antenna, because D* won't send you one with the remote. The E* antenna had come with an RF remote that they had sent me when mine went bad...

Anyway... long story short, my R15-300 is now RF enabled !!!
I guess the part that's not ready yet is the onscreen instructions for doing this. It is interesting that we've been told by Earl for a year that it will eventually be enabled while it's been there (probably all along). On the other hand, I wouldn't be too surprised if most of the R15 developers didn't even know it was there (if, for example, the R15 inherited a bit of low-level code, possibly in object form, from the non-DVR receivers).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.