DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Legend
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some post a poll with this question?

I have a large bedroom with a side room (not line of sight to the box) with a second TV connected to the HR20 that requires me to have one IR (main room) and one RF (side room) remote for the one HR20. I had this option on the Samsung SIR-TS360 that the HR replaced and had this option when I bought my original HR 20 but now it is gone...

This is one of the reasons I bought the HR20 vs some other box to replace my SIR-TS360. Now it seems I am screwed and have to buy an IR repeater and RF remote or two RF remotes and suffer with the laggy RF remote issues in my line of sight room.

:listenup:

Who would like D* to reenable the option to use an IR and RF remote on one HR-20-700 box at the same time?

My older original HR20-700 had an option (0xac) software for the following "remote" menu options:

IR only
RF only
IR+RF

It seems that 0xFA deleted this option. :scratch: :bang

Earl:

Can you ask your contacts at D* why we lost this option with recent sofware upgrades? Can we please get it restored in the next update or next few? This is critical for my home where some boxes are kept out of line of site in a few rooms.

Can you also start posting what features the sofware updates are DELETING when you post the list of changes and fixes? :scratchin

Thanks much.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Why don't you set both remotes as RF using the same code set ? This way it should not matter.....plus is for some reason the remotes get swapped no biggy.

·
Legend
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thekochs said:
Why don't you set both remotes as RF using the same code set ? This way it should not matter.....plus is for some reason the remotes get swapped no biggy.
thekochs:

I like your idea as a backup. Thanks for same. But reasons for the combo of one IR (free) and one 2nd RF (free from DTV becuase of the receiver issues) are:

1) I don't want to buy another RF remote from DTV. That is a waste of $$$ :money:
when I can get by with the IR in the bedroom main area and one RF in the 2nd area;

2) the option for both IR and RF was present in sofware 0xac and has since been deleted so the box will do both - did both until D* deleted that feature :icon_dumm
, and

3) from what I have read in this forum (and experienced from other RF remotes) the RF remote for the HR20 is very laggy, especially in FF/RW functions.

I certainly don't want to subject my wife to that issue. I will never hear the end of it. She nearly died (God bless her soul...I have made her a convert to HD) or killed me should I say when I had temporarilly use the older Samsung SIR-TS360 in 480i/480p to feed the new 61"set (comming from a 30" set). She thought the SD picture was soo horrible if I didn't get a new box the new set was going back to the store.

Make sense now does it?

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
S. DiThomas said:
thekochs:

I like your idea as a backup. Thanks for same. But reasons for the combo of one IR (free) and one 2nd RF (free from DTV becuase of the receiver issues) are:

1) I don't want to buy another RF remote from DTV. That is a waste of $$$ :money:
when I can get by with the IR in the bedroom main area and one RF in the 2nd area;

2) the option for both IR and RF was present in sofware 0xac and has since been deleted so the box will do both - did both until D* deleted that feature :icon_dumm
, and

3) from what I have read in this forum (and experienced from other RF remotes) the RF remote for the HR20 is very laggy, especially in FF/RW functions.

I certainly don't want to subject my wife to that issue. I will never hear the end of it. She nearly died (God bless her soul...I have made her a convert to HD) or killed me should I say when I had temporarilly use the older Samsung SIR-TS360 in 480i/480p to feed the new 61"set (comming from a 30" set). She thought the SD picture was soo horrible if I didn't get a new box the new set was going back to the store.

Make sense now does it?
Where does dtv offer an RF remote and how much does it cost?

·
AllStar
82 Posts
drtbar said:
Where does dtv offer an RF remote and how much does it cost?
You can also order the RC32RF, which is a very nice backlit remote, directly from D*'s website for $25 including shipping. This is under Upgrade My System on the Equipment & Services menu. I've ordered two of these and they were delivered within 3 to 4 days.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
drtbar said:
I don't see where the RF antenna plugs into the back of the receiver. Or doesn't it use an antenna? I can't imagine it having much range without an antenna.
It has an internal antenna, and I can use it from just about any point in my house.... it has a pretty good range.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
S. DiThomas said:
Earl:

Can you ask your contacts at D* why we lost this option with recent sofware upgrades? Can we please get it restored in the next update or next few? This is critical for my home where some boxes are kept out of line of site in a few rooms.

Can you also start posting what features the sofware updates are DELETING when you post the list of changes and fixes? :scratchin

Thanks much.
The option may have been there in 0xAC (which was the original release version). But I know I tested it back then, and I could not get IR and RF to work at the same time when doing the review.

Unless your system has not been updating for the last 4 months (hence why you went from 0xAC to 0xFA), the feature has not been there since pretty much the public release.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It has an internal antenna, and I can use it from just about any point in my house.... it has a pretty good range.
I have the new backlit remote. Do I just set the DVR up to RF and is it or is there more to it?

Also, are there any draw backs to the performance?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Blitz68 said:
I have the new backlit remote. Do I just set the DVR up to RF and is it or is there more to it?

Also, are there any draw backs to the performance?
The GUI will walk you through the steps to set the remote to be RF mode as well.

No, there really are not any drawbacks..

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Blitz68 said:
Will the steps erase any of the programming currently on my remote or are the steps just for the HR20-700S?
The steps are for both, the HR20 and the remote.
The remote needs to know a code from the HR20, so it is able to talk to it.

And no, if it is done correctly, it should not effect any of your other settings.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
How many feet would you say the RF remote is good for? I know in the manual it says 200ft. With an antenna I would certainly believe that, but without, I'm not sure. I have a dishnetwork RF remote and without the antenna it works like crap, barely 5ft. With the antenna it works all of 200ft.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Mark_M said:
You can also order the RC32RF, which is a very nice backlit remote, directly from D*'s website for $25 including shipping. This is under Upgrade My System on the Equipment & Services menu. I've ordered two of these and they were delivered within 3 to 4 days.
So is that $25 total per remote, or is that $25 + shipping. Just want to clarify the "including shipping" part. :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
drtbar said:
How many feet would you say the RF remote is good for? I know in the manual it says 200ft. With an antenna I would certainly believe that, but without, I'm not sure. I have a dishnetwork RF remote and without the antenna it works like crap, barely 5ft. With the antenna it works all of 200ft.
I've used it from 75ft ( the length of my first floor of my house).

To get to 200ft... I'll have to go outside and accross the street.

·
Legend
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
The option may have been there in 0xAC (which was the original release version). But I know I tested it back then, and I could not get IR and RF to work at the same time when doing the review.

Unless your system has not been updating for the last 4 months (hence why you went from 0xAC to 0xFA), the feature has not been there since pretty much the public release.
Earl:

Thanks for the reply. :bink: Can you use two RF remotes with one receiver? Will one HR20 allow two RF remotes as thekoch suggests?

D* states that they will - supposedly confirmed same tonight. Since there WAS an option for the IR and RF (I guess I am not loosing it) and now there is not one, It seems I have no other choice.

Can you confirm on your end that one box can work with two RF remotes? :scratchin

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
S. DiThomas said:
Earl:

Thanks for the reply. :bink: Can you use two RF remotes with one receiver? Will one HR20 allow two RF remotes as thekoch suggests?

D* states that they will - supposedly confirmed same tonight. Since there WAS an option for the IR and RF (I guess I am not loosing it) and now there is not one, It seems I have no other choice.

Can you confirm on your end that one box can work with two RF remotes? :scratchin
It sure can... it is not a "two way" authentication... just a one way.
Only the REMOTE needs to know the last 6 digits of the RID of the box...
The box doesn't know "which" remote is talking to it, only that it is receiving a signal and that it's signal is for that receiver (aka the RID).

So yes, you can set as many RF remote to control one box.

·
Legend
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
It sure can... it is not a "two way" authentication... just a one way.
Only the REMOTE needs to know the last 6 digits of the RID of the box...
The box doesn't know "which" remote is talking to it, only that it is receiving a signal and that it's signal is for that receiver (aka the RID).

So yes, you can set as many RF remote to control one box.
Thanks Earl.

So why did the powers that be delete the option for RF and IR? Seems that you should be able to do the same thing for an IR remote and you can for the RF remote? Or am I mising something.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.