DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched my H20 remote to RF mode and can't belive how much better the unit responds to the remote. This makes me wonder why it is that IR was ever used in the first place to control electronics and why in the world it still exists today? Why isn't everything RF? It isn't like RF is a new technology. I've been opening my garage door for years with it...

·
Godfather
441 Posts
I was going to ask the same question.
What is the down side to RF?

My problem is I have the Harmony 659 and 628 and If I dropped those I would losing something I've had for 33 years. My Wife.

Too bad it can't be RF for the D* remote and IR for the Harmony.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
Kentstater said:

My problem is I have the Harmony 659 and 628 and If I dropped those I would losing something I've had for 33 years. My Wife.

Can the Harmony 990 be configured to run the HR20 without pushing IR signals only? I know it works by sending RF to a receiver, which then pushes IR signals to devices, but maybe it can work directly with the HR20?

·
Mentor
44 Posts
Kentstater said:

I have my receiver hooked up to a Slingbox, to watch TV over the internet, and that requires IR so that's one reason IR is used.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
djb417 said:
I just switched my H20 remote to RF mode and can't belive how much better the unit responds to the remote. This makes me wonder why it is that IR was ever used in the first place to control electronics and why in the world it still exists today? Why isn't everything RF? It isn't like RF is a new technology. I've been opening my garage door for years with it...
My only two guesses would be either:
1. default for those who use IR extenders
2. better battery life?

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
I had a lot of problems using the IR remote - double hits on the keys especially. I changed to RF and it works great.

·
Legend
159 Posts
nFavor said:
My only two guesses would be either:
1. default for those who use IR extenders
2. better battery life?
For me the HR20 didn't work well with my IR extender. RF has been much better BUT per #2 above, I switched about 6 weeks ago to RF and the remote batteries need changing now - they were brand new Energizers.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
102 Posts
EidolonGG said:
I have my receiver hooked up to a Slingbox, to watch TV over the internet, and that requires IR so that's one reason IR is used.
Count me in on that one as well. I use RF on one box and IR on the slinbox's HR20.

Bill

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
redfiver said:
Can the Harmony 990 be configured to run the HR20 without pushing IR signals only? I know it works by sending RF to a receiver, which then pushes IR signals to devices, but maybe it can work directly with the HR20?
No, the RF works only with the special RF>IR device that comes with the remote.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Another possible reason why is that using RF open up the possibility of operating someone else's receiver by accident. Take for example to apartments next to each other both with the same DVR and set to the same address. Since RF goes through walls both parties would think their boxes are possessed.

We get a lot of posts with people thinking there boxes are possessed and after an address change the problem disappears.

This issues also goes with adding complexity when you install a multiple box home.

Another one might be cost.. but I am not sure the differences there.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Ron Barry said:
Another possible reason why is that using RF open up the possibility of operating someone else's receiver by accident.
I'm pretty sure that's not possible with the HR20. The remote gets tied to the box when you set it up to use RF.

·
Legend
206 Posts
RF stinks.

Give me the IR any day. I have to press guide 1, wait then 1 more time to get the full guide on my HR20. I can double tap the IR and get a much faster response.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.