DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
True! You will probably have problems with the switching voltages before you run into a signal strength issue. 100 ft. is a safe number and RG-6 cable with a solid copper center conductor would be the best bet, particularly with a 5-LNB dish, which draws more current. I think some people are using up to 250 feet, but that probably requires the use of a powered multiswitch. In extreme cases, a larger cable (RG-11) or the rigid stuff used for cable TV may be required.

· Legend
115 Posts
esco168 said:
does anybody know what the longest cable lenth that i can use with out the loss of signal strength?
125 feet is all you can use without a signal amplifier.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
While I do not recommend anyone do this, I ran a test at about 170' where 1 HR20 tuner (took off the second tuner) drove an AT9 thru a 6x8 multiswitch which was wired in parallel with another multiswitch. Total cable length was about 170' IIRC. Note, all other ports on the two switches were turned off or unplugged. Flipped thru channels a bit slowly as I switched between LNBs, but it seemed to work fine.

The cable was all solid copper core, about a year in place, no splices except at wall jacks, etc.

Cheers,
Tom

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Just for testing, I have run about 450 feet with copper clad steel and a triple LNB dish. That included about a half dozen barrel connectors to piece segments together.

For a round dish or a 3-LNB dish you should not have a problem with 200 feet. As was noted, a powered multiswitch along the way helps, especially if you can put it roughly in the middle.

For the 5-LNB dish (AT9) the dc current draw from the dish is the most limiting factor. This is where you see the strongest recommendations to stay around 100 to 125 feet. Also, the primary multiswitch used with the 5-LNB dishes, the WB68, is not powered which definately impacts your coax lengths.

Carl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.