DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy an coax compression tool so I shuffled off to Home Depot. Theirs is $60, which seems a bit steep to me, but looks well made.
I went on to eBay and saw many of these for $10 plus $15 S&H.
Are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RG6-RG-6-coax-C...oryZ4693QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(and I apologize for the big pic. I'm linking directly to the seller's image and this is just how big it comes out.

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
I have the Ideal compression tool that I bought at the Home Depot for $20ish and it works great.

I got it a year ago, but I'm not seeing it on their website. They also had a kit with a cutter and stripper for $35ish.

I found the model number ID 33-633 Economy Uniseal Compression Tool

· Icon
507 Posts
I bought mine from Fry's... I believe it is the DataShark brand... It was $27. As I recall they also had one for ~$20, but the $20 model only did F-type connectors. The $27 model also does BNC (which is what I need for CCTV work) and RCA.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
jefbal99 said:
I have the Ideal compression tool that I bought at the Home Depot for $20ish and it works great.

I got it a year ago, but I'm not seeing it on their website. They also had a kit with a cutter and stripper for $35ish.

I found the model number ID 33-633 Economy Uniseal Compression Tool

i have been using the ideal one for about 4-5 years works fine.

· Icon
507 Posts
Hmmm... I thought they looked very dissimilar...

Shape, length, position of clasp/hasp (the thing that keeps it closed), the waves on the inside of one of the handles...

But they all do the same thing. Do you have a Fry's near you (link)? Are you near Duluth, GA? If your like tech, you'll love Fry's!

Just decide if you only want to do F-type, or if you want BNC and RCA too. On mine, to do F-type, I add a piece, otherwise it's left off.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
EricJRW said:
I bought mine from Fry's... I believe it is the DataShark brand... It was $27. As I recall they also had one for ~$20, but the $20 model only did F-type connectors. The $27 model also does BNC (which is what I need for CCTV work) and RCA.
I bought the DataShark one at Home Depot .... it works great. One of the best $15 I ever spent!!

I've gone through the house and redone a bunch of old crimp fittings with compression fittings .... it amazes me how much better the compression fittings work - and they're easier to do, IMO!

I also have an Ideal cable stripper that works wonders.... two twists, it's stripped, slide on the connector, compress, and off to the races!

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
EricJRW said:
That is true, it only does F-type connectors

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
dmurphy said:
I also have an Ideal cable stripper that works wonders.... two twists, it's stripped, slide on the connector, compress, and off to the races!
I've been having trouble with my Ideal cable stripper recently, need to look for an upgrade. Just not cutting like it used to

· Registered
1,681 Posts
jefbal99 said:
I've been having trouble with my Ideal cable stripper recently, need to look for an upgrade. Just not cutting like it used to
Mine has replaceable blades - not sure if they all do or not .... but it works great for me. Took a little time to get the blades adjusted "just so" to the right height, but it's a great addition to the toolbox for me.

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
dmurphy said:
Mine has replaceable blades - not sure if they all do or not .... but it works great for me. Took a little time to get the blades adjusted "just so" to the right height, but it's a great addition to the toolbox for me.
I'll check that on mine, thanks for the tip

· Legend
243 Posts
Looks like you bought it? I was going to buy it before you did haha. I just got back from Home Depot, and they have the Ideal for $60, and the Datashark kit for $40, but the datashark looks cheap :eek2:

· Hall Of Fame
3,862 Posts
I got this one for $21.90 + shipping:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10509&cs_id=1050902&p_id=3358&seq=1&format=2

It's well made and does both RG6 amd BNC connectors. The compression length isn't adjustable, but it's perfect for the PPC EX6XL, which is a standard length connector and is the DirecTV reccomended connector (that is widely available on ebay for about $0.25-0.35 per piece in bags of 50).

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
dmurphy said:
I have no affiliation with them, other than I found them on Google (I've never ordered from them), but this place has the replacement blades ...

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide08-08.html
Nope, mine is a cheapy that was part of a kit...

I need to take the dive in to a better stripper (damn that just sounds so dirty)

my stripper is like the one in this kit...

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Though they look similar, the very top pic (rebranded as Phillips) is junk. The Ideal/DataShark branded one is much, much better, and usually around the same price.

This is the one I use:

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/JVI/10-CCT21.htm

One of the reasons I like this one is because I can get into tighter spots, like inside a J-box where some moron cut the cable way too short. With the clam-shell style, you can't compress fittings in tight spots because the handle is in the way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.