DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to a couple big box stores looking for solid copper core RG6. I have found several different types; but, in the description none reference solid copper cores.

What are the suffixes (i.e. RG6-***) that denote solid copper?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I'm not sure f there is a suffix in the model # that will tell you if it's solid. I would think you would have to go out of your way to find anything other than solid.
But that could be a hell of an assumption.
Take a knife w/ you and cut one of the ends (w/ permssion of course)

I would go w/ RG6-QUAD btw. ALso make sure you get the appropriate conenctors for QUAD, many prefer compression style fittings. There is a difference.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
I'm not sure f there is a suffix in the model # that will tell you if it's solid. I would think you would have to go out of your way to find anything other than solid.
But that could be a hell of an assumption.
Take a knife w/ you and cut one of the ends (w/ permssion of course)

I would go w/ RG6-QUAD btw. ALso make sure you get the appropriate conenctors for QUAD, many prefer compression style fittings. There is a difference.
When you cut the end see if a magnet will stick to the center conductor, it won't on solid copper.:)

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
boba said:
When you cut the end see if a magnet will stick to the center conductor, it won't on solid copper.:)
That's what I did with my cable at home. I was hoping I could leave my knife and magnet at home when shopping.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
boba said:
Very True.:)
I don't know if they make stranded copper RG6. If they do, then that trick won't work. Right?
Unless the box states which is which, I'd still take the knife w/ me. :)
Be careful pulling that thing out in public, somebody might have a cow.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
First, assume RG6 you find in a store is copper clad steel rather than solid copper unless you can determine otherwise. Steel is cheaper to make and buy.

If you have a strong enough magnet, you can feel the magnetic attraction through the outer insulation and shielding - so you can determine copper clad steel without cutting away the outer material.

If you do cut to expose the center conductor, then instead of using the magnet, I would just scrape a bit of the copper surface on the center conductor and see if it is copper or steel underneath.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
4,585 Posts
If you have some of the coax exposed, you can usually test it with a magnet without any cutting. I tried that on some running through the attic and it was attracted to the magnet even with the shielding on. Most of the stores only have the copper clad steel. You may have to go to an electronics or electrical supplier. Graybar or something like that. I know people have posted links to online places in other threads.

GH

·
Icon
808 Posts
You could also just look at the outside of the box it comes in. It should state if its solid copper or copperclad steel. If it's not marked the talk to the sales rep. He should be able to look up the info and tell you what it is.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Some people have reported 100 ft. with a AT-9 dish. It would be somewhat further with a slimline, which draws less current (YMMV).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.