DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an opportunity to purchase a New In Box S4040R SD TIVO (storage locker sale) to replace our old dying RCA DRV40 TIVO. We have the new box RID but unfortunately DTV says they cannot verify the unit because it has never been activated and they cannot tell if it was 'leased' box (from them) or a 'owned' box (like from Bestbuy, etc) that just wasn't ever activated? And that they wouldn't be able to tell until we added it to our account and activated it!? On top of that, if it was a 'leased' unit, we maybe be subject to a 2yr agreement and lease fee!? We have been with DTV since '92 and only have had OWNED boxes. Sounds like baloney to me. Anyone know of a way to verify a never activated receiver RID?

Thank for any help,
Robert

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
did you actually call the activation Access card department?

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
I think you need to call again and ask for the access card department.

And if I were you, I'd get a more recent DVR instead of the really old one.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
jdspencer said:

That is what I meant... thanks

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jdspencer said:

Thank you, we may try again this time the Acees Card Dept but the reason we are looking at another older TIVO is because we are in an RV (with a KVH R6 dome sat dish) and don't have HD sat or TV's. We love our old TIVO interface and why pay for HD when we can't get it or need it.

Robert

·
Hall Of Fame
2,119 Posts
Be aware that even if it is owned, and you can activate it on your account, it may not work properly. There were a number of changes made to the program guide data that requires a TiVo software update. Without this update, you may not be able to receive some channels (you'll just get a black screen), or worse. The software update may or may not be in the satellite data stream any longer (and despite what some say, the software DOES download via satellite). Assuming you get the update, you then need to have the TiVo phone home (i.e. a daily call - which requires some sort of land line) to actually get it installed. You need to be on software version 6.4a. A box that old that has never been activated may be running version 3.1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Diana C said:
Be aware that even if it is owned, and you can activate it on your account, it may not work properly. There were a number of changes made to the program guide data that requires a TiVo software update. Without this update, you may not be able to receive some channels (you'll just get a black screen), or worse. The software update may or may not be in the satellite data stream any longer (and despite what some say, the software DOES download via satellite). Assuming you get the update, you then need to have the TiVo phone home (i.e. a daily call - which requires some sort of land line) to actually get it installed. You need to be on software 6.4a. A box that old that has never been activated is probably running version 6.1.
Thank you Diana, very good points. Assuming we buy it and all goes well with DTV, we planned to take our already upgraded (size & software version 6.4a) harddrive from our RCA DVR40 and put it in the 'new' TIVO. Then do the Clear & Delete so it will tie itself to the new hardware/unit? Yes, it would likely need to do a Phone Home to activate TIVO recording again. Since we don't have a landline, will would likely take the unit to a friend house that does and have it connect that first required time.
Sound plausable?

Robert

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
revansCAAD8 said:
..., we planned to take our already upgraded (size & software version 6.4a) harddrive from our RCA DVR40 and put it in the 'new' TIVO. Then do the Clear & Delete so it will tie itself to the new hardware/unit? Yes, it would likely need to do a Phone Home to activate TIVO recording again. Since we don't have a landline, will would likely take the unit to a friend house that does and have it connect that first required time.
Sound plausable?

Robert
Are you sure it's not the old Tivo's hard drive that's dying?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
litzdog911 said:
Are you sure it's not the old Tivo's hard drive that's dying?
Thx, yeah HD isn't the issue. Sent the old TIVO to Weaknees Repair because of failing Tuners and picture graininess. They tested whole system, HD (upgraded) and replaced multiple motherboard chips without sucess and returned 'unrepairable'. Unit still works but....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.