DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,805 Posts
HR24 received and activated...now on to the other HR24 that only has one tuner working.
I am pleasantly surprised you got the replacement HR24- congrats! This gives me hope they’re not taking such a hard line on only sending out mini’s these days as replacements. I have a ton of 24’s.

· AllStar
99 Posts
I got error 14-923 a few days ago on the same screen you showed.

Like you, they wanted to schedule an install of a Mini, but I told them I needed a replacement HR24. I was told one would be sent via Fedex. But a little later I got a notice that a Mini install had been scheduled. Contacted them again and was told I needed to "upgrade" to the Mini, since HR24s were no longer available. I had them cancel the install.

I'm going to see if an external drive "resurrects" the HR24. If not, I'll drop it from my account.

Please let us know if you actually get a replacement HR24...
An external drive made mine work again, so I'll just live with that for now (I had the parts in a "spares box", so no $s).

Glad to hear some folks are getting replacements.

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,805 Posts
An external drive made mine work again, so I'll just live with that for now (I had the parts in a "spares box", so no $s).

Glad to hear some folks are getting replacements.
Externals are mostly what I have for my 24’s too, but 2 weeks ago I had another fan go south in one of my -100’s with the two 45° angles on it. Since I have spares of those, I took care of it myself without a hassle in calling DirecTV. Kept all my recordings and it took a measly 4 minutes to replace the fan. 👍

· Legend
157 Posts
I had a HR24 in a room where I watch TV. It was set to record only shows I liked to watch. The Genie was in the living room and it recorded shows both my wife and I liked to watch. But when my bill was consistently over $180 I turned in the HR24 and the Genie and switched to DirecTv Stream with HBO Max. I added Disney+ and Paramount+ and I'm still saving money. Throw in Amazon Prime and I have so much to watch I can't find the time to watch everything I'd like to watch. DirecTv Stream takes some getting use to and all our recorded shows are in one big list but I won't switch back. Big plus is I no longer have to worry about rain messing up my recordings. I also don't have to worry about my HR24 going bad. I was on my second one which was a refurbished model and it occasionally froze or did other strange things.

· Administrator
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Oddly enough the old remote didn't work with the newer HR24 so they offered to send a new remote for free but said to call back in a few days to request it because the system wouldn't allow a remote to be ordered until the DVR swap had been processed. :rolleyes:

· Icon
1,780 Posts
Oddly enough the old remote didn't work with the newer HR24 so they offered to send a new remote for free but said to call back in a few days to request it because the system wouldn't allow a remote to be ordered until the DVR swap had been processed. :rolleyes:
Was the remote set for rf for the old 24? Or perhaps the new 24 is set for rf in the settings and using the front panel will help you get it in ir mode?

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
On the HR24 they sent me I had to do the remote reset to get it to work.

1. Press and hold MUTE and SELECT together until the light flashes three times.
  2. Press 9, 8, 1 and SELECT. The remote flashes four times and should now reset.

· Administrator
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I had an old spare remote in a drawer that works fine with it so I'm using that one for now.

· Administrator
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I had recycling instructions in the box too but they told me on the phone to drop it off so I did that rather than face a fee months from now.
And almost predictably, yesterday I get a reminder email to return my DVR...except they signed for it back on Nov 28th. :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
When I talked them and they said I need to return my HR24 they were supposed to send me a box with the prepaid USPS label on it. Nothing has ever shipped so I'll be getting one of those reminders soon and I'll have to call and go through all of it over again. I really dislike their customer support.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
When I talked them and they said I need to return my HR24 they were supposed to send me a box with the prepaid USPS label on it. Nothing has ever shipped so I'll be getting one of those reminders soon and I'll have to call and go through all of it over again. I really dislike their customer support.
Why do they want them back if they aren't using them? Weird. I used to have a HR24 and over the years not only replaced the fan & hard drive on it, but I also had the fan header go bad and had to Macgyver a hot wire fix directly onto the power supply lol.

I eventually ended up paying the extra $3/mo for an HR54 because the HR24 is just such garbage. Took forever to respond to button presses. I would literally have to wait 30 seconds sometimes lol. That's worth the $3 for not pulling my hair out.

Nowadays, the HR24 is only usable if you replace the drive with an SSD. Don't know why anyone would use an external one though. Just open 'er up and make it clean.

The HR54 is plenty usable as it is, but if the drive goes bad in it, I'd probably throw an SSD in it.

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Well they are still sending out HR24's so I assume that is why they want it back. I just got a replacement HR24 a couple of weeks ago and it is using an external SSD that was being used on the HR24 that was replaced. Not sure what was wrong with the old one but it got an error 775 in multiple locations where other DVR's worked so not sure if it is salvageable or not to DIRECTV. But they want it back.

· Administrator
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I had to call & give them the UPS tracking number which they then confirmed was delivered. Now let's see if they actually successfully updated my account. 🤞

· Administrator
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I had to call & give them the UPS tracking number which they then confirmed was delivered. Now let's see if they actually successfully updated my account. 🤞
And yesterday I got a bill notice that was almost $150 more than usual thanks to an equipment non-return fee. Yet another long phone call to DTV to get them to reverse the charge. :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: harsh

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
And yesterday I got a bill notice that was almost $150 more than usual thanks to an equipment non-return fee. Yet another long phone call to DTV to get them to reverse the charge. :rolleyes:
I never did return mine which they said they wanted back and promised me a prepaid USPS return label that I never received. Have heard nothing back about it but when I was talking with a rep from the office of the president on a different matter they asked if I had replaced a receiver and I told them I replaced an HR54 and a HR24 and that I had returned the HR54 but not the HR24 and she said they don't want the HR24 back so I am just waiting to see if they try to hit me with a non-return fee.

· Administrator
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I never did return mine which they said they wanted back and promised me a prepaid USPS return label that I never received. Have heard nothing back about it but when I was talking with a rep from the office of the president on a different matter they asked if I had replaced a receiver and I told them I replaced an HR54 and a HR24 and that I had returned the HR54 but not the HR24 and she said they don't want the HR24 back so I am just waiting to see if they try to hit me with a non-return fee.
I returned mine in November and the charge just hit yesterday.

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Before I returned my HR54 I was getting several reminder emails about it needing to be returned. I have got none of those for the HR24 return.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts