Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm having my roof re-shingled and was wondering if anyone has any advice for dealing with D* to get my dishes taken down/re-installed?

So far I've been transfered 5 times, on hold for over an hour and disconnected twice. I was unable to get any answers or schedule any service calls as I had to get back to work, but I will be calling back in tonight to get everything set up.

What I have gathered is that D* will NOT take the dish down and they will charge me $49.95 to put it back up, even though I have the protection plan. In addition, if I damage the dish when I take it down, I have to pay full price for a new one. I guess I understand, but that's the reason I want a professional to do it...

Anyone had to deal with getting a new roof before or have any advice to make this go as smoothly as possible?

I really don't want to get up there to take down the dish and I'm not even sure I could even if I wanted to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Sucks about the phone experience. Try it one more time.

Also do you have the # of your HSP who did the install. If so give them a call.

As you said it will cost you but as long as you pay for it I am sure they can send out a tech to take it done and to put it back up later. It's very close to a mover's connect.

·
Godfather
452 Posts
But do not expect to get it done for free.

You're having your roof replaced, presumably at your expense. Therefore, is part of that expense not the removal and reinstallation (and realignment) of your satellite dish? I would certainly think so and wouldn't hesitate to hire a professional to do it & expect to pay the man for his services.

Just my opinion, but the HSP hardly constitutes someone I would condiser as a "professional".

·
Legend
191 Posts
if you are one of the "a-list" members, just call d* up and ask for a "realign" and explain that you got a new roof, and the roofers didnt do a great job re-installing. if you play your loyalty card right, you will get it done for free. And is the rep on the phone doesnt go for it, just submit the order, and call back and talk to another rep, who should get the $50 fee waived. worked for me :)

D* doesnt really make much off a pissed customer who leaves over a happy customer who stays for years of monthly fees. In all reality, you should be able to get any hardware and hardware related installs for free, just be persistant. Dont forget to tip the installer though. they get paid per job, not hour.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Cap'n Preshoot;758865 said:
Just my opinion, but the HSP hardly constitutes someone I would condiser as a "professional".
yeah yeah yeah. I am sure all of our customers want to go on the roof themselves.

Replies like these are getting old.

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. My roof is getting replaced via my homeowners policy, and I had hoped that the D* protection plan would cover something of this nature. I can see why it doesn't, as this is elective, but still I had hope. Like I said, I don't mind paying for the service, but it doesn't seem that D* even offers it.

I have neither the time nor the inclination (pun!) to get up there and remove the dish myself. I'm not as agile as I once was and the pitch on my roof is rather steep. I'd much rather prefer that someone with experience do the job.

I'm hoping I can get a local sat company to come out and do a quick take down/install if D* refuses to come out. Maybe I can get some help to take it down myself and have D* come replace it when they fix some other stuff still outstanding from the original installation 6 months ago...

It just amazes me that D* was so shocked that someone wanted this service. Roofs get replaced all the time.

·
Legend
191 Posts
like i posted before... i got mine reinsalled after I got my roof replaced for free. doesnt hurt to try.

·
Legend
139 Posts
Mertzen said:
yeah yeah yeah. I am sure all of our customers want to go on the roof themselves.

Replies like these are getting old.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing you were.

Seriously, just circumvent D* and the whole service call vs. upgrade issue (that's why you're getting passed around so much btw, they think it's an upgrade) and get ahold of the HSP directly. I don't know how they do things down there, but we do stuff like this all the time up here.

You may have to get out your checkbook, but I'm willing to bet it would be a lot less hassle (and less $$ perhaps) to have them create an 'internal' work order and send a lead or supervisor out there to get things done the way you want it. Doing this also gets you more flexibilty as it tends to get you away from the whole '8-12' '1-5' roulette wheel normal work orders get dumped into.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.