DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oaky i really need help. i have a d-link airplus xtreme g wireless router, model number di-624. i am trying to network my two computer that i have wireless with my ps3 and hr20. okay this router isnt new got it from a friend. i dont have the original startup wizard but i think that i can download it from d links wbsite. i have never done this and heard it was easy but i am having trouble. everytime i conect the cables like they should be connected. the modem will show that theres no internet going thru it. do i need to modify the settings before i connect the cables or should it immediately detect the interent as soon as i connect the cables?

· Icon
669 Posts
First of all there are several different versions of this router so you will need to go to their website and identify which one you have.

From there I would reset the unit to factory defaults which depending on the unit should be as simple as holding down the reset button for a specific amount of time usually until the LEDs go off. Download the manual and it will tell you the specific procedure for this unit.

One completed you can download the wizard software and go from there.

Even before you do that you should see link lights on the ports that you have devices connected to. You might not be able to access the internet with them depending on some settings within the unit but still see the link lights. If you aren't seeing the link lights make sure that your cables are good.

You should also see a link light on both the router and your cable modem. If you don't then you might need to get a different cable or even a Crossover Cable (or an adapter that does crossover). Most devices these days automatically detect that so I would be surprised if you need one but it is possible.

Depending on the settings your friend had you might not be able to get out on the internet until you reset everything. Also keep in mind that once you have this connected you should power cycle your cable modem so it will see the new router.

Sorry if I jumped around a little on you to recap I would

1) Reset to factory defaults

2) Connect to Cable Modem and make sure you get a link light if not you need to replace cables or might have a bad unit.

3) Once you get link light - Power Cycle Cable Modem so it will release old MAC and allow the new Router to pass traffic.

From there run the wizard and you should be all set. You might also want to download and apply the latest firmware for the unit as well.

Hope this helps

· Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k i tried everything and that router didnt work so i bought another one. a netgear rangemax next wireless n router and so far its working good. thank you fo rthe help but i guess the d-link router was broken

· Almost a new member
427 Posts
The piece of hardware you need on the HR20 is called an ethernet bridge. It will connect your wireless network with the wired cable going into the back of the device.

As far as I can tell, Netgear doesn't make a bridge. As long as it claims to be 802.11b/g/n compliant, you shouldn't have any problem making devices from different manufacturers work together.

I saw another post here where someone suggested the Linksys bridge: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...647577&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

· Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay ive setup the router and its been working good for a while now but the power has gone out twice since i got it and everytime this has happened i have no internet. seems like the router loses the config for my internet or modem. why does this happen? i have to go thru the router setup each time

thank you, i aslo dont have the router locked or anything.

· Icon
669 Posts
turey22 said:
okay ive setup the router and its been working good for a while now but the power has gone out twice since i got it and everytime this has happened i have no internet. seems like the router loses the config for my internet or modem. why does this happen? i have to go thru the router setup each time

thank you, i aslo dont have the router locked or anything.
How do you resolve the issue? This could just be the way / order that the devices are powering on. The router shouldn't loose its configuration if it reboots / looses power. If this is the case then it could have an issue.

If this is resolved by just rebooting it and you get the connection back then it sounds like it is the order in which the units are powering on. It takes only a few seconds for a router like this to power up but it can take upwards of a minute or two for the Cable or DSL Modem to come up and connect with the "Mother Ship". If the power isn't going out for long you might want to get a small UPS so they stay up even with the power loss.

· Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay last question. now on my desktop i dont have wireless and so i want to make it wireless. can i use any wireless adapter with that as long as it 802.11n? would a usb adapater work? would i get good connections with it?

· Icon
669 Posts
turey22 said:
okay last question. now on my desktop i dont have wireless and so i want to make it wireless. can i use any wireless adapter with that as long as it 802.11n? would a usb adapater work? would i get good connections with it?
The short answer is yes any one "Will work" you might however find one from the same company as your route a little easier to set up / work together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.