DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am returning to Directv after a cable respite. I am having a Genie Receiver (I assume I will get HR34 or 44) and a Genie Mini installed, and I did not order the wireless package.

First Question- I have currently have only one cable running to the location where the receiver will be placed. I noticed that the HR 34 has only one satellite input. How would the signal get to the mini (which is upstairs) from the genie (which is downstairs)? Can a single cable input from the satellite be multiplexed to connect the two devices? I assume the answer is "yes" but would like to confirm that is the case.

I don't care about having extra tuners available in the future- I am just looking at Genie to Genie mini client right now, using the five tuners on the receiver with one mini client to access the receiver downstairs from the upstairs TV.

It appears the standard advice for "future proofing" is to have four cables running from the dish, but that does not seem to be practical for me at this time, and it appears one cable will "do it all" if your set up has one genie serving one more mini clients. It this correct?

Second Question- I want to keep my broadband cable internet service. I have a DOCSIS 3 cable modem, and, from what I have read, it is not practical or recommended to try and multiplex that signal with the incoming satellite signal. Looks like I will have to drill a hole in the wall on the side of my house to run the cable to the current location of the modem and my router, to keep that signal separate from the Directv satellite feed. Is this also correct?

Thanks in advance to all you "old salts" for putting up with these basic inquiries :) and I look forward to a response.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
A cable from the dish to a splitter, from that splitter it feeds both the Genie and the mini. the splitter can be located inside with the Genie or outside the house, where ever it would be most convenient

You are correct that you can't diplex your cable and DirecTV signals in the same wire as their frequencies overlap. you need to either run an ethernet cable to the Genie, use the WiFI (either built in on 44 or external on 34) or run coax from splitter to router and install a DECA BB

· Mentor
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
litzdog911 said:
peds48 meant to say you CANNOT diplex your Cable Internet and DirecTV signals on the same coax.

Also, you need to use special SWM-compatible coax splitters. They're available from dealers like Solid Signal.
Thanks, and I knew you meant to say "cannot" rather than "can". Wouldn't the installer be likely to have the SWM compatible splitter, or should I not count on his having one available and just mail order one?

· MANC
1,504 Posts
....and in most cases will do whatever it takes to ensure your cable modem is still working when he is done.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
Yes, but your install is pretty basic with regards to equipment. And if they don't have the required splitter, a simple phone call should solve the problem. If the installer is willing to admit to his co-workers he didn't have one.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
mobilelawyer said:
Alas, the gulf between "should have" and "will have" :)
They will have splitter. nothing to worry about there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.