DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Icon
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44 & DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver along with a Panamax MR5100 Surge Protector component. The surge protector's manual says to run all coax cables through it then from the surge protector to the DTV components. In fact, the warranty for the Panamax MR5100 Surge Protector is invalid if the coax cables are not run through the surge protector. Others have told me to run the DIRECTV coax cables directly to the DTV components.

What is your opinion?

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I have a DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44 & DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver along with a Panamax MR5100 Surge Protector component. The surge protector's manual says to run all coax cables through it then from the surge protector to the DTV components. In fact, the warranty for the Panamax MR5100 Surge Protector is invalid if the coax cables are not run through the surge protector. Others have told me to run the DIRECTV coax cables directly to the DTV components.

What is your opinion?
It is a long an argumentative subject. If you run the coax thru the Panamax and have any trouble, the first thing a tech will do is remove them from the Panamax.
I ran mine for a couple of years thru a Monster Cable power center without any problems.
Supposedly, if the coax / dish setup is Grounded properly any static build up will go thru the ground and not into the system.
I had many discussions / arguments years ago to run them thru the surge suppressors. One of the problems is that most cheap surge suppressors are not good enough to handle the signals coming thru the coax. They also are blown when they have had one surge and you think you are protected and you are not.

DirecTVs stance is to not run them thru a surge suppressor because they find many more problems with cheap surge suppressors than they do by not using them so they say NO.

Reactions: 1953

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
It is not recommended to use any type of surge protector on the DirecTV coax. The coax should be run through a ground block before it enters your residence (dish to ground block, to inside). The coax only comes from the LNB on the dish, it does not come from outside systems (via the powerlines, like cable or phone lines).

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
My suppressor's are a Panamax MR5100 and Panamax M4300. The 5100 is used with my primary AV. The 4300 is currently not used. Do you believe my 5100 is of the quality necessary to benefit my DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44 & DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver? Thank you.
The signal frequency shows up to 2.2 GHz will pass thru and the max DTV signal is 2.15.
That is a real machine and not a $15 surge suppressor.

Reactions: 1953

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
A surge suppressor is not a replacement for a properly grounded system. On the other hand a properly grounded satellite system does not need a surge suppressor. As carl eloquently said, DBS is unlike your cable/phone company, any surges are originated at your site and should be mitigated by the ground block.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Dad
6,606 Posts
Surge Suppressors for AC lines are valuable if one cannot afford or make us of a UPS in line with the AC Power. If there is a high energy power spike even momentarily via the AC line, a surge protector helps. There is a distinction between an AC power surge protector vs. a coax surge protector.

·
Icon
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The signal frequency shows up to 2.2 GHz will pass thru and the max DTV signal is 2.15.
That is a real machine and not a $15 surge suppressor.
Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Surge Suppressors for AC lines are valuable if one cannot afford or make us of a UPS in line with the AC Power. If there is a high energy power spike even momentarily via the AC line, a surge protector helps. There is a distinction between an AC power surge protector vs. a coax surge protector.
So there is no use in running the general surge protector for the DirecTV? I have read from an electrical safety authority portal from Muskoka's that it gives a complete home protection., is it true? Why can't the general surge protectors assure any protection for DirecTv? What is the actual difference between a surge protector and a coax surge protector?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have run both dtv and dish coax through surge protectors for years. Never had a single problem. I also made sure it's rated the proper 2.2ghz and 75ohm.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
So there is no use in running the general surge protector for the DirecTV? I have read from an electrical safety authority portal from Muskoka's that it gives a complete home protection., is it true? Why can't the general surge protectors assure any protection for DirecTv? What is the actual difference between a surge protector and a coax surge protector?
I just read the link you posted. First thing I saw was:
WHAT ARE POWER SURGES?
They are unintentional voltage spikes that travel through your wiring damaging both the wires and equipment or appliances that are plugged in.

This should give you a clue regarding how much they know about electricity. Voltage does not "travel". I stopped reading at that point.

Rich

·
Icon
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In addition to our power center we have DTV's protection plan. At this moment I can't recall the exact details of the plan. May be that when something dies a tech comes to our home with a condolence card then laughs.

Reactions: Wolfmanjohn

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
In addition to our power center we have DTV's protection plan. At this moment I can't recall the exact details of the plan. May be that when something dies a tech comes to our home with a condolence card then laughs.
You should check your plan to see what you have. They have 2 different ones. 1 covers just the DTV equipment and service calls and the other one covers everything hooked to the system including the TV and AVR, etc. The price should tell you which one you have. The one that is about $7 per month is just for the DTV equipment and service calls.

·
Icon
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am certain we have the better one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.