DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I run composite cables off of a H23-600 receiver along with component cables? I have a TV in one room that rarely gets used but does when kids have friends over. What I want to do use component cables to my sons TV in his bedroom and then run composite cables to the TV in the other room. My HR23 is RF capable (and the remote) so I figured they could go into that room and still control his box yet watch TV in the spare room. Feasible?
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,965 Posts
It depends on how long the composite run is. If the cable run to the spare room is more than a few feet, you're probably not going to like the results.

You may benefit from adding an RF modulator and a single coaxial cable to the spare room TV tuner.

If the spare room TV has HDMI, you could also go that route (either with a cable or with extenders).
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harsh said:
It depends on how long the composite run is. If the cable run to the spare room is more than a few feet, you're probably not going to like the results.

You may benefit from adding an RF modulator and a single coaxial cable to the spare room TV tuner.

If the spare room TV has HDMI, you could also go that route (either with a cable or with extenders).
Well I googled max composite cable length and found it a crap shoot. Some people said a few feet to others saying they've ran 100' without much trouble. I would say I could get away with 25' but the RF Modulator seems like a good suggestion since I could go off of the HR23->RF Modulator->right into the other TV. It's an old TV so anything other than composite isn't going to work but using the RF at the box to coax then right into the old TV will. Thanks for the suggestion.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,133 Posts
crawdad62 said:
Can I run composite cables off of a H23-600 receiver along with component cables? I have a TV in one room that rarely gets used but does when kids have friends over. What I want to do use component cables to my sons TV in his bedroom and then run composite cables to the TV in the other room. My HR23 is RF capable (and the remote) so I figured they could go into that room and still control his box yet watch TV in the spare room. Feasible?
Is the TV in the added room SD or HD. If it is SD, you really need to read the threads regarding simultaneous use of SD/HD off the same receiver with the new HD GUI.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
azarby said:
Is the TV in the added room SD or HD. If it is SD, you really need to read the threads regarding simultaneous use of SD/HD off the same receiver with the new HD GUI.
It is SD. Never thought about the guide. I suppose the guide would be cut off on the sides? Can the new guide even be seen properly if you default the resolution to 4:3?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,133 Posts
crawdad62 said:
It is SD. Never thought about the guide. I suppose the guide would be cut off on the sides? Can the new guide even be seen properly if you default the resolution to 4:3?
I don't have an SD configurations, but 4:3 is not the problem. The problem crops up when the HR2x is set to any resolution higher than 480i/480p
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,881 Posts
crawdad62 said:
It is SD. Never thought about the guide. I suppose the guide would be cut off on the sides? Can the new guide even be seen properly if you default the resolution to 4:3?
There are several threads about this. If your receiver is set to show HD resolutions at the local tv (anything over 480), then all you will get on the SD outputs is a big warning box that takes up most of the screen whenever a button is pressed that causes the info banner, guide, list, or other GUI interface to show. The box will clear and you can watch tv on the SD outputs, but you can't use a remote effectively from a location with an SD TV.

A solution to this is to get a component to composite video adapter (roughly $50), and use that to provide the composite video feed to the SD TV (rather than feeding it directly from the composite or s-video output on the HD receiver).
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
carl6 said:
There are several threads about this. If your receiver is set to show HD resolutions at the local tv (anything over 480), then all you will get on the SD outputs is a big warning box that takes up most of the screen whenever a button is pressed that causes the info banner, guide, list, or other GUI interface to show. The box will clear and you can watch tv on the SD outputs, but you can't use a remote effectively from a location with an SD TV.

A solution to this is to get a component to composite video adapter (roughly $50), and use that to provide the composite video feed to the SD TV (rather than feeding it directly from the composite or s-video output on the HD receiver).
Thank you. Makes sense. I may just forgo the deal with the old TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,491 Posts
crawdad62 said:
Well I googled max composite cable length and found it a crap shoot. Some people said a few feet to others saying they've ran 100' without much trouble. I would say I could get away with 25' but the RF Modulator seems like a good suggestion since I could go off of the HR23->RF Modulator->right into the other TV. It's an old TV so anything other than composite isn't going to work but using the RF at the box to coax then right into the old TV will. Thanks for the suggestion.
I run my office through a set of 50' composite cables to my office without any issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
Scott Kocourek said:
I run my office through a set of 50' composite cables to my office without any issues.
I ran 30' of high quality component cable to a 26" Sanyo HDTV, (from an HR21-100), and noticed a marked darkening of the picture. I had to turn up the contrast quite a bit to make up for it.

I replaced the component cables with HDMI (using an HDMI powered splitter at the output of the HR21-100), and normal brightness returned a normal high quality picture.

The powered hdmi splitter is from monoprice.com, and I also used one of their 30' hdmi cables.

The only "complaint" I have is there is an initial delay for the picture to show up, when I turn on the downstairs tv, as the hdmi splitter allows negotiation/hand-shaking to take place. Other than that, it's been terrific.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
914 Posts
hasan said:
I ran 30' of high quality component cable to a 26" Sanyo HDTV, (from an HR21-100), and noticed a marked darkening of the picture. I had to turn up the contrast quite a bit to make up for it.

I replaced the component cables with HDMI (using an HDMI powered splitter at the output of the HR21-100), and normal brightness returned a normal high quality picture.

The powered hdmi splitter is from monoprice.com, and I also used one of their 30' hdmi cables.

The only "complaint" I have is there is an initial delay for the picture to show up, when I turn on the downstairs tv, as the hdmi splitter allows negotiation/hand-shaking to take place. Other than that, it's been terrific.
Interesting info on long component runs from the HR21. I assume that you did not split the signal? ... that would mean the drivers on the HR21 are minimal or the cable really wasn't that great.

Switch to HDMI is like comparing, um... analog to digital :D with digital, you either lock on the data or you don't...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
jes said:
Interesting info on long component runs from the HR21. I assume that you did not split the signal? ... that would mean the drivers on the HR21 are minimal or the cable really wasn't that great.

Switch to HDMI is like comparing, um... analog to digital :D with digital, you either lock on the data or you don't...
No...no component spit. I was using hdmi to one tv and component to the other.

Yes, of course the hdmi either works or it doesn't, and with the powered hdmi splitter, it works perfectly.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
914 Posts
"hasan" said:
No...no component spit. I was using hdmi to one tv and component to the other.
Strange... My main setup used a 30' component cable off an HR20 for years. No significant difference between that & HDMI PQ. Recent change adds an amplified component splitter before the 30' to the TV and a 50' cable from my preamp/proc. to the TV on zone 2. Both have excellent PQ. FYI, the HDMi actually has a "smaller" picture as the HR20 output is overscanned...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top