DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine lives out in the sticks. The closest town to him is about 10 miles away and it only has about 750 people. He signed up with D* a quite a while ago, about '98 or so.

What I'm wondering about is he still, to this day, pays his D* bill through a third party. Does that seem right? He really has no direct interaction with D*. I'm wondering if he's missing out on some goodies because he's still stuck with all of his old equipment. He's no AV buff by any means, he just watches his one box on his 20" tv, but still. He could at least have a newer dish/box with some interactive content at a minimum.

Does anyone know if D* still subcontracts service through third parties, or is he just sticking with an old out of date service setup that he doesn't need anymore? If so, would he be wise to cancel his service and sign up with D* directly?

·
Legend
275 Posts
I too have service through D* rural provider. I call them for authorizing new recievers, programming changes, etc. I pay my bill to them, but also could pay online directly to D*. They answer on the first or second ring, and do a great job. However, they had me call D* directly to get a receiver replaced at no charge when I had trouble, as they told me they could only sell me another one. So you can deal with them both ways. YMMV.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Mike Huss said:
A good friend of mine lives out in the sticks. The closest town to him is about 10 miles away and it only has about 750 people. He signed up with D* a quite a while ago, about '98 or so.

What I'm wondering about is he still, to this day, pays his D* bill through a third party. Does that seem right? He really has no direct interaction with D*. I'm wondering if he's missing out on some goodies because he's still stuck with all of his old equipment. He's no AV buff by any means, he just watches his one box on his 20" tv, but still. He could at least have a newer dish/box with some interactive content at a minimum.

Does anyone know if D* still subcontracts service through third parties, or is he just sticking with an old out of date service setup that he doesn't need anymore? If so, would he be wise to cancel his service and sign up with D* directly?
Do you mean thru a phone company arrangement? For instance Verizon sells bundles with DirecTV programming in certain markets. Is this what you mean? I don't think there is any other way other than that.

·
Legend
184 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Do you mean thru a phone company arrangement? For instance Verizon sells bundles with DirecTV programming in certain markets. Is this what you mean? I don't think there is any other way other than that.
Our system was installed in 2000 by Mid Wisconsin DBS which is a NRTC coop set up by our Wisconsin rural electric companies. I pay my bill and change programming through them but for any equipment changes/upgrades I go directly to D*. Our bill amount is exactly the same as if we paid through D*. The few times I've called Mid Wisconsin DBS the phone is answered immediately.
My WidBlue satellite internet service also comes through the same place and the NRTC has it's own nation wide tech service which blows away WB's own tech service. :)

·
Banned
614 Posts
Badger said:
Our system was installed in 2000 by Mid Wisconsin DBS which is a NRTC coop set up by our Wisconsin rural electric companies. I pay my bill and change programming through them but for any equipment changes/upgrades I go directly to D*. Our bill amount is exactly the same as if we paid through D*. The few times I've called Mid Wisconsin DBS the phone is answered immediately.
My WidBlue satellite internet service also comes through the same place and the NRTC has it's own nation wide tech service which blows away WB's own tech service. :)
:)

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Badger said:
That sounds exactly like what my buddy has. Are you in central WI?

·
Legend
184 Posts
Mike Huss said:
That sounds exactly like what my buddy has. Are you in central WI?
Yes about 6 miles north of Montello. Your friend should have no problems getting a new receiver and install of it and any other upgrades he might need at no cost if he's always been paying on time etc. If the coop can't take care of it then a direct call to D* will do it.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Badger said:
Yes about 6 miles north of Montello. Your friend should have no problems getting a new receiver and install of it and any other upgrades he might need at no cost if he's always been paying on time etc. If the coop can't take care of it then a direct call to D* will do it.
Wow, small world. That friend of mine lives between Saxeville and Mt. Morris, my sister-in-law lives in Neshkoro, my in-laws live in Richford, and I grew up just down the road from where my buddy lives. Funny!

I'll tell him he can get an upgrade if he wants it. Thanks for the input. I just assumed his service was out of date, but if you still have service the same way I guess not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.