DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legend
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a home (our stick house) DirecTV account for about four years. Our two year contract on that account is up and has been for about two years. I have been borrowing a receiver from our stick house to use on occasional RV trips, and am quite proficient at setting up the dish.

Soon we plan to start full-timing in our RV. I'm thinking of starting an RV account so I can get the nationwide networks. There would be about a two month overlap when we have both our stick house account and the RV account; after that, we'd cancel the stick house account.

Are there any pitfalls in this plan?

·
Legend
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read somewhere that DirecTV won't allow techs to install at an RV, which is OK with me. But how does activation work? Do I just set up the system and call some phone number to get the receivers activated? I've been using a Phase III dish with an SL3 with success, but my signal readings are not as high as what you'd expect with a Slimline dish - would slightly lower signal readings be an issue as far as getting the receivers activated is concerned?

·
Legend
146 Posts
I could be out in left field here, but why not just get the RV Waiver for your current account, change your service location to whatever you use for a mailing address, and send back whatever receivers you don't need in the RV?

We travel fulltime with one HR22 using the Slimline on a tripod with SL3 SWM. Piece of cake...

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

·
Legend
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not just get the RV Waiver for your current account, change your service location to whatever you use for a mailing address, and send back whatever receivers you don't need in the RV?
Well, we won't be full timing for a while yet, and so I'd like to keep the stick house account active.

Also, I hope that a new account will result in the typical first year savings and in a chance to get better receivers I have at home. I'd like to get two HR-24s.

·
AllStar
85 Posts
You realize that moving the receiver from the house to the RV is only saving you $6 per month. We have two houses and a motorhome, Directv in all. Until recently we had two separate accounts -- one for each house. The motorhome receivers we just switched from one account to the other. Then we would suspend one account and activate the account at the house where we were.
Well, after eight years, I finally gave up up and collapsed everything into one account -- as if all the receivers were in one house. Now if we want locals, we just call up Directv and "move."
The only hitch is that we don't get locals in the motorhome unless we happen to be in the correct spot beam. However, we can always get the locals over the air, and many locals broadcast in HD.
We have been motorhoming since 1985 (never full time) and using Directv since 1999. No problems yet. (And no, I don't work for Directv!!!)
Good luck on figuring out what works for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.