DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Travel Trailer (my first ever RV!) that has two inputs, one for Cable, and one for Satellite. At home I have an HR44 and HR24, plus two Genie Mini's, with a Slimline Dish. I plan on purchasing a portable slimline dish on a Tri-pod. My camper has two TV's, plus the ability to place a third outdoors.

My plan is to take one of my Genie Mini's from my house and put it in the camper for the entire summer. When I travel, I'll disconnect the HR24 from my home, and install it in the camper. In theory, this will allow two TV's to watch separate channels, and I could watch recorded program off the HR24 DVR.

Does it matter where I place the Genie Mini vs the HR24? Will they speak to each other no matter where they are in the "line". The camper stereo is in the living room, but there is no convenient shelf for the HR24. The bedroom does have a place where I could put the HR24. Also, having the mini in the LR would make it more convenient for moving that TV outdoors.

Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this?

Any guidance or suggestions on hookup and using the tri-pod receiver would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
AllStar
410 Posts
I just purchased a Travel Trailer (my first ever RV!) that has two inputs, one for Cable, and one for Satellite. At home I have an HR44 and HR24, plus two Genie Mini's, with a Slimline Dish. I plan on purchasing a portable slimline dish on a Tri-pod. My camper has two TV's, plus the ability to place a third outdoors.

My plan is to take one of my Genie Mini's from my house and put it in the camper for the entire summer. When I travel, I'll disconnect the HR24 from my home, and install it in the camper. In theory, this will allow two TV's to watch separate channels, and I could watch recorded program off the HR24 DVR.

Does it matter where I place the Genie Mini vs the HR24? Will they speak to each other no matter where they are in the "line". The camper stereo is in the living room, but there is no convenient shelf for the HR24. The bedroom does have a place where I could put the HR24. Also, having the mini in the LR would make it more convenient for moving that TV outdoors.

Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this?

Any guidance or suggestions on hookup and using the tri-pod receiver would be greatly appreciated!!!
First and foremost, the mini will NOT work with the HR24. It requires a Genie DVR (HR44/54) to work. Second, you may or may not have issues with the factory wiring in the trailer depending on what types of splitters (or lack of) they have used to wire the trailer. They are known to NOT use power passing splitters which can sometimes cause issues. So unless you can place your power inserter BEFORE the connection to the trailer, you may have difficulties.

To get around all of this, I use our HR44 genie with a wireless bridge and a wireless mini to avoid all this. Luckily, our trailer has a direct line from the SAT connection on the outside to the LR TV, so no worries about splitters. I then velcroed the wireless mini and power supply to the back of our bedroom TV so it can easily be moved from the bedroom, outside and back. The only way you will know for sure if the internal wiring will work for at least your DVR in the living room is to try it and see, but unless you are willing to take your Genie with you, forget about the mini.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First and foremost, the mini will NOT work with the HR24. It requires a Genie DVR (HR44/54) to work. Second, you may or may not have issues with the factory wiring in the trailer depending on what types of splitters (or lack of) they have used to wire the trailer. They are known to NOT use power passing splitters which can sometimes cause issues. So unless you can place your power inserter BEFORE the connection to the trailer, you may have difficulties.

To get around all of this, I use our HR44 genie with a wireless bridge and a wireless mini to avoid all this. Luckily, our trailer has a direct line from the SAT connection on the outside to the LR TV, so no worries about splitters. I then velcroed the wireless mini and power supply to the back of our bedroom TV so it can easily be moved from the bedroom, outside and back. The only way you will know for sure if the internal wiring will work for at least your DVR in the living room is to try it and see, but unless you are willing to take your Genie with you, forget about the mini.
Thank you SOOOOO much for this. I'm amazed that there really isn't any easy to find setup guidance anywhere on the web. I was also thinking about sticking the mini to the back of my "indoor/outdoor tv as well.

Understand about the HR24. I can use the HR44 just as easily. I'll just need to make sure my "weekend recording" is moved over to the HR24 so nothing gets missed when the HR44 is down. Got to keep the wifey happy!!!

I think my HR44 and Mini's are wireless. Any way I can confirm that? If I'm away from my home WiFi, would that require me to have a wireless bridge as you state? Any suggestions on equipment?

I realize it's a crap shoot on the camper wiring. I'm hoping that since they are distinguishing between "Satellite" in and "Cable", that it will work. I really won't know for sure until I give it a try.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
I think my HR44 and Mini's are wireless. Any way I can confirm that? .
Look behind them. Do they have a wire attached (coax) then is not wireless. If you use a wireless mini then you mean a wireless bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: csyrell

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look behind them. Do they have a wire attached (coax) then is not wireless. If you use a wireless mini then you mean a wireless bridge.

Will the hr44 or 54 act as a wireless bridge? Or will I need to get a wireless bridge regardless? Also will the hr44 work with a mini Genie wireless? Thanks so much for your help!

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Will the hr44 or 54 act as a wireless bridge? Or will I need to get a wireless bridge regardless? Also will the hr44 work with a mini Genie wireless? Thanks so much for your help!
No, regardless of which Genie you currently have you will still need a wireless video bridge. All current wireless clients works with all of the current Genies.

Reactions: csyrell

·
AllStar
410 Posts
As Peds stated, if you already have wireless mini's that are installed and in use, then you must already have the wireless bridge. Since you can only have one wireless bridge assigned to an account (as far as I know), you would need to take that from the house as well as getting a spare 4 way SWM splitter and PI21 (power inserter) to connect everything up wherever you plan to place the HR44 and Wireless Bridge. It's easier moving stuff back and forth if you have a "RV dedicated" splitter and power inserter so you don't have to move them back and forth as well.

So my "carry" list from home to the RV is as follows:

HR44 Genie
C41w mini
Wireless Video Bridge
All power cords for each component (I plan on getting spares of these as well I can leave a set in the trailer)

And these stay in our trailer.

Spare PI21 power inserter
Spare DirecTV approved 4 way SWM splitter

Mine is setup this way.

NOTE: In our previous trailer, Coachmen stated I had a Sat and Cable inputs, but only the Cable was actually connected to the feed behind our LR TV. They also used a non power passing splitter somewhere to also feed the BR outlet and I could not get anything to work. Had to feed my Coax thru a slideout seal using a flat coax section and connect that way, bypassing the internal coax completely. You may or may not have this issue depending on how your trailer is wired and what components the manufacturer used. I recommend getting everything setup and working while bypassing all internal coax and THEN move the connections to the outside sat port and connection inside. Could save you a LOT of hassles.

1. Dish to Sat 2 input on RV (mine is Sat 2 because Jayco wired it wrong). Above suggestion saved me a LOT of time figuring out why I couldn't get a picture when connected to SAT 1.
2. Sat feed behind LR TV to SWM side of the PI21.
3. Other side of the PI, HR44 and Wireless bridge are attached to the SWM splitter. All of these connections are connected to the 4 way splitter on the same side. One of the 4 ports as well as the one power passing port on the other side of the splitter are capped/terminated.
4. C41w mini and power supply velcroed to the back of BR TV.

HTH

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
As Peds stated, if you already have wireless mini's that are installed and in use, then you must already have the wireless bridge. Since you can only have one wireless bridge assigned to an account (as far as I know),

HTH
You can have as many wireless video bridges as you want, or the system supports. Up to 2 can be had for free on installation while more carries a one time fee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info all around. I currently have two tv's in my using wired mini's, one of which gets minimal use. I'm thinking I could just go with one wireless mini, and keep the other one wired. That way, I can leave the bridge and wireless mini in the camper for the summer without disrupting the home TV's. All it would take is bringing the home HR44 out to the camper when we leave. Luckily, I'm due for an equipment upgrade at the end of this month, so I think I'll call and get a rep out and see what he can hook me up with. Thanks for all this info. Grover, your Post #7 above should be plastered all around the net. It's exactly what I've been looking for over the past couple years that I've been researching buying an RV!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.