DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following are quotes about Direct TV service from a message thread in an RV forum:

"Your receiver will go inactive in 30 days without a satellite and power connection. It takes a call to reactivate, even though you are paying for it."

Anybody know if that's true? I'm a new Direct TV subscriber with an RV waiver, and was planning to put a dedicated receiver in the motorhome-- but I won't do that if I'm going to have to call to reactivate it if we haven't used it in 30 days. If that's the case, I'll just take a receiver from the house when we go on a trip, (that'd be less of a PITA than having to call to reactivate). We go on many trips that are more than 30 days long, in which case the receiver will be active but not hooked up to a phone line-- are we going to have to reactivate with Direct TV at some point on those trips?

"...you cannot get distant network service UNLESS your entire DTV account can get it. So in addition to signing a waiver, you need to set up a special account for your RV so it can get DNS while your house gets regular broadcast network coverage."

That's not what I was told by Direct TV, and that's not my experience so far. I have one account, with two receivers, and both are receiving both locals and DNS. Is that a mistake (in which case I'll be careful not to make any changes to my programming that might cause it to be discovered and corrected)?

Thanks for any info,

Denny

·
Legend
219 Posts
I've had an RV receiver for 4 years and its true, you will have to reactivate the receiver if it is out of service.

·
Legend
219 Posts
PS....ist not the phone line that keeps the receiver active, its an internal program that needs to receive signals (and authorization) from time to time.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
I think the easiest solution would be to keep the rv receiver active in your house, and move it to the rv when you travel.

Carl

·
Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys, that's good information. I was willing to pay five bucks a month for the convenience of not having to move the receiver between house and RV-- but not if that means I'd have to call and reactivate when we want to use it. Sounds like, if I use a receiver from the house it will be "active" at all times, even without a phone line-- so that'll be the way to go.

Denny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.