DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked out the SWM LNB installation video here http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SWM-PI#MORE and it mentions that there are 2 different power inserters. A 29v for the standalone SWM, and a 21v for the SWM LNB. Is there really much of a difference? My SWM LNB came with a 29v power inserter. Where can you purchase the 21v power inserter (Mine needs to be replaced)?

· Legend
126 Posts
Question... I stumbled upon this thread. I realized that my e-bay provided SWM-8 module shipped with a PI-21. I questioned the seller at the time, but he assured me it would work. It does in fact work, but I have complained from day 1 that mine is way too HOT. Thoughts? I am guessing I need to get a PI-29. Pisses me off.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
kruegs said:
Question... I stumbled upon this thread. I realized that my e-bay provided SWM-8 module shipped with a PI-21. I questioned the seller at the time, but he assured me it would work. It does in fact work, but I have complained from day 1 that mine is way too HOT. Thoughts? I am guessing I need to get a PI-29. Pisses me off.
Heat would be more due to how/where you have it mounted. They do run "warm" but shouldn't run hot.
Do you have it enclosed?
They need to have ambient air flowing around them to keep them cool.

· Registered
5,674 Posts
well, my PI (29) isn't quite as well ventilated as I'd like and its barely even warm to the touch. only way I know its on (besides dvr's working :) ) is the green glow from inside.
not sure if that helps, but thought you could use it as a comparison.

· Legend
126 Posts
Yep, PI is not warm..> SWM is however. Too weird though, I definitely confirmed that my SWM-8 is running right now with a PI-21. Sounds like regardless I need to swap it out for the correct PI-29. I bet my e-bay seller flakes on this and I have to poney up the $20 through Solid Signal.

· Mentor
49 Posts
kruegs said:
Yep, PI is not warm..> SWM is however. Too weird though, I definitely confirmed that my SWM-8 is running right now with a PI-21. Sounds like regardless I need to swap it out for the correct PI-29. I bet my e-bay seller flakes on this and I have to poney up the $20 through Solid Signal.
Who is the seller? My SWM-LNB/SWM-ODU came with the PI-21 as well. I don't see where it will make a difference though.

Anybody with any thoughts on the PI-29 vs. the PI-21 and what, if any, difference it could have?

· Legend
126 Posts
If you have the SWM-LNB, the PI-21 is correct based on what I am reading. I do not have the LNB, rather, I have the standalone SWM-8 module, thus it would appear as though I require the PI-29. Having said that, I am using it now and have for a while with the PI-21 with no apparent issues.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
David MacLeod said:
not always true, lack of correct power can create system strain creating heat.
I think this is becoming a mountain out of a mole hill.

If a SWM8 is too hot to touch, it needs more air flow.

SWM8 are for MDU systems, where they don't even use the 29 volt PI. These are powered through the #3 legacy port and use a lower voltage PI.

A 21 volt PI can't be used with [as much] steel core coax, as a 29 volt can be.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
David MacLeod said:
so the differences in the PI are more for the style/length of coax than for the actual module then?
I, incorrectly I guess, thought it was for the requirement of just the module.
There is no reason to think the SWM "needs" anything more than 12 volts. The LNBs need the 18 volts to select, but the LNB only "needs" 12 volts to do it's work [or it wouldn't with the 13 volts being selected].

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.