DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, for the first time ever, I have a sales tax charge on my Directv account. Usually there are never any associated taxes with my D* bill. For reference, MI has a 6% sales tax that applies to most products and services (with some food exceptions, etc), but usually doesn't apply to services done outside of the state and delivered here, hence why D* never bills for just beaming in a signal.
Anyway, my bill breaks down as follows:

$44.99 for Total Choice
+ $5.99 DVR
+ $4.99 2nd receiver
+ $12.00 HBO
- $10.00 6 mo customer discount special
+ $0.60 sales tax????

= $58.57

First off, why the sales tax, and second, why is it calculated from the amount discounted? If anything, the tax should be $3.48, from the total bill (not that I am going to raise this point!).

Thanks.

·
1960'S NOSTALGIA
213 Posts
audispartan said:
OK, for the first time ever, I have a sales tax charge on my Directv account. Usually there are never any associated taxes with my D* bill. For reference, MI has a 6% sales tax that applies to most products and services (with some food exceptions, etc), but usually doesn't apply to services done outside of the state and delivered here, hence why D* never bills for just beaming in a signal.
Anyway, my bill breaks down as follows:

$44.99 for Total Choice
+ $5.99 DVR
+ $4.99 2nd receiver
+ $12.00 HBO
- $10.00 6 mo customer discount special
+ $0.60 sales tax????

= $58.57

First off, why the sales tax, and second, why is it calculated from the amount discounted? If anything, the tax should be $3.48, from the total bill (not that I am going to raise this point!).

Thanks.
[

THE REASON FOR THE SALES TAX IS FOR LEASING FEE, NOT PURCHASE AS I
NOW HAVE A LEASING FEE FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER + THE SALES TAX FOR ME
IS $.35 ON THE HR20-700 I HAVE ....EVERY ONE WILL START SEEING THIS NATIONWIDE DUE TO TAX LAWS....JUST LIKE LEASING A CAR, YOU PAY A SALES TAX ON THE LEASE...SAME HERE ON THE HR20.....

·
Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
Is your second receiver leased?

The reason I asked is I was never charged tax on mine either but when I replaced and owned R15 with a leased HR20 I started getting charged tax on the $4.99 leased reciever fee.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mavrick said:
Is your second receiver leased?

The reason I asked is I was never charged tax on mine either but when I replaced and owned R15 with a leased HR20 I started getting charged tax on the $4.99 leased reciever fee.
Yes, both receivers are leased. I moved from owning two old RCA receivers to replacing them with a D11 and an R15 in September. So I guess both are leased...but even if you add up the $5.99 and the $4.99, the tax should be $0.66 when rounded up (6% on $10.98)

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
Here in Ohio the republicans that ran the state put a sales tax on the whole thing, prgramming the whole deal...... Maybe that's why they finally got voted out after 16 miserable years.

·
Legend
184 Posts
dodge boy said:
Here in Ohio the republicans that ran the state put a sales tax on the whole thing, prgramming the whole deal...... Maybe that's why they finally got voted out after 16 miserable years.
Let us know when the Democrats remove your state sales tax from your bill! LOL :hurah:

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
Badger said:
Let us know when the Democrats remove your state sales tax from your bill! LOL :hurah:
They can't, the Tax and spend guys that were in office ran our state into a deficit...... but enough with the political stuff, cuz i KNOW i'm right (as always) and back on topic......

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JLucPicard said:
For those with no sales tax, do you have any leased equipment on your account?
Looks like I'm the opposite of jimisham. I switched to lease equip and now have the tax. But amount wise, it's not quite the proper figure for my leased equipment. Weird.
As for Jasen... I'm pretty active on the legislative front here in MI. There has been no new activity for a vote on a tax of these services. Don't know where the change came from to now tax this...

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Most people consider New York State tax central, while it is, DBS programming is not taxed, but some additional fees are, the DVR Fee and the extended protection plan are the two that I know of. Cable TV and internet are not taxed at all for anything.

·
Icon
866 Posts
audispartan said:
Yes, both receivers are leased. I moved from owning two old RCA receivers to replacing them with a D11 and an R15 in September. So I guess both are leased...but even if you add up the $5.99 and the $4.99, the tax should be $0.66 when rounded up (6% on $10.98)
The tax is calculated on the 2 lease fees you have (2 x $4.99 = $9.98 x 6% = 60 cents). Direct will give you credit for the first receiver of $4.99, but they do not credit the tax.

The $5.99 is a service (DVR), like your programming thus no sales tax.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.