DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Samsung UN65HU8550 for 45 days now. I love the picture! I had Directv come out to do the RVU hook up. I rented Transformers in 4K. Took around 8 hours to show up in the DVR list. Jaw dropping picture. I caught myself watching dirt fly and the hairs on people's arms.

I am however experiencing a problem. When watching live TV for a significant period of time on the same channel, the picture starts stuttering as well as the sound. Almost like its buffering at .001 rate. For some reason, it is not keeping up with real time. I can hit the fast forward arrow on the remote, the picture will fast forward approximately 10 seconds the picture will resume playing normally. This also happens with recorded movies. This happens randomly. I can watch 5 hours straight with no glitching. Other times it will happen 3 or 4 times in an hour.

Directv technicians have been out 4 times. They have replaced all equipment, moved my Dish, ran all new cable...no luck

I never had this problem until switching to RVU. If they can't resolve this I may have them run a splitter, put the RVU on a different input for 4K programming and hook the mini genie back up for everything else.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
It would be super cool if you could share a video....

· Godfather
731 Posts
Yes, seen this on my 8550 as well. Suspect it is a software issue with either the Genie or the Samsung and it will get worked out (sucks that it happens though). I have found if I rewind a bit it usually goes away. I have also had some RVU "location not authorized" glitches. Have to add the client again to restore it and have even had to unplug the TV to get it to reset. Again, suspect it is a software issue that will get worked out.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Looks like there has been some putting the horse in front of the cart goings-on as the UHD Alliance has only been recently establish to setup some standard specs.

Here's a snippet from an article . . . . .

There are actually two video resolutions referred to as "4K"-the Ultra High Definition standard (3840 by 2160 pixels) and a second 4k standard that measures 4096 pixels by 2160 pixels. Confused yet? You probably now understand why the UHD Alliance came to be.
SOURCE

· Godfather
731 Posts
bluemoon737 said:
This is the exact same thing I see with my HU8550 via RVU. Suspect it is a Samsung software issue related to RVU implementation and will eventually get worked out.
A new issue has reared its ugly head... Now my 8550 RVU client isn't processing the actual audio and video signal. The RVU is connected because the GUI works fine (menu, list, channel banner, progress bar, etc.) are all visible as is the "bonk" sound but the screen stays black and there is no audio. Samsung claims there is nothing wrong with the TV and it is obviously DirecTV's problem as they don't even recognize the RVU client is actually their equipment built into the TV. DirecTV has been very supportive in attempting to fix the issue and we are still working it. Hopefully can get it worked outout (but if in fact it is the TV, I suspect it will be a major fight with Samsung)... Will keep this thread up to date of any progress.

· Registered
11,428 Posts
And this is why RVU TVs are a terrible idea. If you have a client and it has problems, it is easy to replace. If you have a RVU TV and something happens to the RVU functionality but the TV still works fine, good luck getting anyone to own the issue.

I realize at this time that's the only way you can do 4K with Directv today, but it is just a token offering at this point and will remain so until Directv has real 4K hardware.

· Godfather
731 Posts
Slice you certainly make valid points. I went the TV route partly because of the 4k novelty feature but more importantly no contract unlike adding an additional DirecTV client. I could and still may go the DirecTV client route but I was trying to avoid the contract issue. I like being off contact.

· Registered
1 Posts
THymer,

I've had this same problem for weeks now as well. I generally change the channel, then come back to my show to resolve the "stutter/buffering". That temporarily resolves the problem (so does power on/off). Every once in a while, I'll get the "Client Not Authorized" message which forces me to temporarily unplug the RVU and turn off Power to the TV. This is after having started my 4K/Directv experience with the service rep using a genie and a splitter to run hdmi to my TV. This worked, but I was getting the "Client Not Authorized" message more frequently and Customer Support said I should not be operating the 4K TV w/ a genie (genie needs to be on another TV in the house). With the HDMI split form the genie, I did not have the stutter/buffer issues. So now I have this crappy RVU and I'm going crazy. If anyone in this community knows how to resolve this I would be greatful for the help...

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
You can certainly run the new TV off the Genie with a straight HDMI connection. Hooking up another TV in this situation is beyond my experience but do you have a DIRECTV® box for each TV?.

And welcome to DBSTalk!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the bedroom TV hooked to the Genie and the 4K hooked to the RVU. DirecTv said they don't recommend hooking the 4K directly to the genie.

I ended up switching the RVU out for a genie mini and everything has run smooth ever since. Of course, I lose DirecTv 4K content but the frustrations of hitting the FF every time it glitched along with the FF and Rewind functions being painfully slow responding to commands were too annoying to handle.

Example: I hit the FF button twice.....when I hit play, the picture continues to FF for 3 or 4 seconds, then a pause for 3 seconds, then the picture plays 3 seconds further than where it was paused. It's almost as annoying as it is to try and understand my example :bang

I'll stick to 4K on Ultraflix, Amazon Prime and Netflix until they figure out a fix.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
plehrack said:
There is 4k content on DirecTV?
Yep, via an RVU TV paired with a Genie

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.