DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By chance, does anyone own one of these?

I'd like to use one for an ATSC off the air tuner and nothing else but fear that just to get it to setup in that mode...

It needs to be able to boot up and maybe even connect to the satellite?

...Huh?

· Icon
545 Posts
gigahz said:
By chance, does anyone own one of these?

I'd like to use one for an ATSC off the air tuner and nothing else but fear that just to get it to setup in that mode...

It needs to be able to boot up and maybe even connect to the satellite?

...Huh?
YES! It needs to boot up! It will not complete the boot up process if it does not rcv a sat signal! You also need a valid access card, you don't need to activate the card!

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe that....I wonder if I can hook it up to my dual LNB dish that I'm using with my R10 just to set it up and then disconnect the dish?

Like I say, I just want to use it for an OTA tuner and for it's upscaling capability for my DVD player.

What a rip.

I suppose it needs the remote to access the OTA as well?

· Icon
545 Posts
gigahz said:
I can't believe that....I wonder if I can hook it up to my dual LNB dish that I'm using with my R10 just to set it up and then disconnect the dish?

Like I say, I just want to use it for an OTA tuner and for it's upscaling capability for my DVD player.

What a rip.

I suppose it needs the remote to access the OTA as well?
You may not want to belive it, that's on you, but it is fact! I had one and that's the way it worked! You can hook it up to the dish, complete the boot process,disc the dish, then it'll work, til this first time it resets on it's own, then you'll have do the whole process over agian!

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
iceman2a said:
gigahz said:
I suppose it needs the remote to access the OTA as well?[/QUOTE]

NO, but I can think of something you can do with the remote !
It does need the remote to manuver. There is an option in the menu to set it up without a dish I believe. When I get home I'll look at mine and post a follow up.:)

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much boba. Will check back. Went ahead and bought a used one so keeping my fingers crossed.

Trying to decipher Iceman's replies....not sure of your tone.

Huh?

· Icon
545 Posts
gigahz said:
Thanks much boba. Will check back. Went ahead and bought a used one so keeping my fingers crossed.

Trying to decipher Iceman's replies....not sure of your tone.

Huh?
WHAT TONE :rolleyes: :D

When you power it up it won't get past searching for sat signal, so you can't even get to the setup menu, at least that's what mine would do!

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
Menu:
choose Setup
choose installation
choose set dish
choose select dish type
move high light to dish type there is an option NO DISH

This should get you working as an OTA receiver HUGHES HTL HD also has this option. After this generation of products I think they switched to requiring a subscription before the OTA would work.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great! Thanks boba!

I suppose also that I may even be able to use one as an OTA tuner even if the hard drive is bad.....I mean all the setup and menu stuff might be in a chip ROM. ?

· Registered
12,607 Posts
gigahz said:
Great! Thanks boba!

I suppose also that I may even be able to use one as an OTA tuner even if the hard drive is bad.....I mean all the setup and menu stuff might be in a chip ROM. ?
Hard drive? There's no hard drive in this DirecTV Receiver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.