DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 517 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well let me tell you a little story... about some very good girls and boys.
Santa delivered them a gift... and the response was amazing.

Santa heard (and read) all your replies, and promises of being good, ect...
Santa has decided to make a second run.

However next week is his annual big trip, so this is going to be the last run for a little while. Doesn't mean it will be the last run ever... just probably for 2006.

It also doesn't mean, Santa won't flip his national distribution network. He just wants to make sure that the gift fits and works as it is supposed to.

-------------------------------
So some of the same "warnings" from the other night.

Staggard rollouts are there for a reason... as much as they are confident about the release, they need to limit the impact of any unexpected issues.

However; If you are so incline and want to "take a risk" and force download the 0x10B software version... here is your opportunity.

As of this writing the version number is 0x10B; It may change before things happen

Tonight: 12/15/2006 between 11pm and 1:30am(EST); 8pm and 10:30pm (PST), you may be able to get the new 0x10B code by the 02468 method.

If you do attempt to get 0x10B; then you assume all the risks with the software version.

Here is what is changing so evaluate your decision to move from what ever version you are on now, to 0x10B. (I am not going to post formal release notes at this time).

• MORE stability fixes
  • Updates to the Music/Picture (aka ViiV) features of the system
  • Updates to the Prioritizer (to improve it's performance)
  • Tuner Conflict Screen
  • During FF, there are cases where the image will go "backwards" for a frame or two; fixed
  • Several HDMI compatibility fixes

I can not stress it enough: If you force download 0x10B, DO NOT CALL the call center if you are having problems. Come back here, and report the problem.

And if it is to the point that you can "live" with it, do another forced update to revert back to 0xFA, there is no going back to 0x104, 0x108, or any other version after 0xFA

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To force a download:

1) Reboot your system either via the Red Button, GUI Option, or pull the power.

2) On the first WELCOME screen, enter 0 2 4 6 8 slowly and deliberately. ONE TIME

3) After the Welcome Screen, you'll get an almost there screen. The next screen will be the download software screen.

Some things to try if it is failing.
  • Unplug your unit, wait a few minutes and try again
  • Do this right in front of your unit (not from the Lazy-Boy)
  • Try your remote in DirecTV mode

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And please, be kind to the forum... resist the tempation to post "I got it"

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS: This elf, is not going to be on the forum much tonight...
Unless my luck goes bad.... :)

·
Icon
764 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And please, be kind to the forum... resist the tempation to post "I got it"
Thanks for all the info. I will probably plunge now for 108 and wait on B Question, to revert back to FA then, you just do RBR WITHOUT the 02468 and then fa will load? I never do stuff lke this until I know the road back. Thanks!

·
Legend
129 Posts
Thx. for the inside info Earl.
Much Appreciated!:)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HolmesCo said:
Thanks for all the info. I will probably plunge now for 108 and wait on B Question, to revert back to FA then, you just do RBR WITHOUT the 02468 and then fa will load? I never do stuff lke this until I know the road back. Thanks!
No, If you want to go back to 0xFA

You reboot, when there isn't another software version push going on, and do the 0 2 4 6 8 it will then re-download 0xFA.

If you simply reboot with 0x108 or 0x10B installed... you will still have that version.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

You reboot, when there isn't another software version push going on, and do the 0 2 4 6 8 it will then re-download 0xFA.

If you simply reboot with 0x108 or 0x10B installed... you will still have that version.
many thanks, Earl Good Luck tonight...

:icon_da: (gotta make use of this membership)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,856 Posts
While it wasn't said in so many words, if you like the release that you have, don't push your luck by downloading a later release. You cannot go back.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Thanks Earl. This can also be considered a first night of Hanukkah present for those forum members out there that don't celebrate X-Mas. :D

·
Icon
764 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Sorry to bother you again, but how does one know when there is not a "software push going on" ?? Not sure I understand. Thx.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

For those who are already on the "automatic" 0x104 or 0x108 distribution (not the "santa" distribution), will a RBR revert to 104/8 or to 0xFA?

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Thanks Earl,

I know alot of people are loving you right now.

Too bad I won't get my HR-20 till tommorrow.

I sure wish Santa would make this a two night run.....

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HolmesCo said:
Sorry to bother you again, but how does one know when there is not a "software push going on" ?? Not sure I understand. Thx.
Basically...
Any other time, besides the window noted above...

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I guess it's safe to say that 0x108 will not be going national now. Time to go decide what I want to do with the Distribution map :scratchin

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lamontcranston said:
For those who are already on the "automatic" 0x104 or 0x108 distribution (not the "santa" distribution), will a RBR revert to 104/8 or to 0xFA?
Hmm... Good question... I am 99% sure, you will revert to 0xFA.
0x104 and 0x108 have been pulled from the stream.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
HolmesCo said:
there is always a "latest" version sitting out there. If you press 02468 as described - you download the latest version. (Even if you already have it.) For 3 hours tonight -the latest version will be this one as described.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
brott said:
I guess it's safe to say that 0x108 will not be going national now. Time to go decide what I want to do with the Distribution map :scratchin
Wait, until there is a pushed distribution.

1 - 20 of 517 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.