DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Godfather
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been having an issue today where my satellite signal just goes from 90s to zeroes all of a sudden. Picture freezes. Then after 10-20 seconds it comes back on. I have reset my genie and also the PI twice and had an extra PI lying around so I just changed it out but that hasn’t helped. No weather in the area. Nothing blocking the dish. Signals all in 90s when working. Nothing has changed with my setup. Any thoughts? LNB maybe? Could rodents/squirrels chew thru coax? I’m at my wits end.

Edit: I’m now getting 775 error so I assume this is likely the PI or LNB? Again any help appreciated.

I’m using HR44-500 Genie w/MRV SWM LNB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Godfather
2,154 Posts
Been having an issue today where my satellite signal just goes from 90s to zeroes all of a sudden. Picture freezes. Then after 10-20 seconds it comes back on. I have reset my genie and also the PI twice and had an extra PI lying around so I just changed it out but that hasn’t helped. No weather in the area. Nothing blocking the dish. Signals all in 90s when working. Nothing has changed with my setup. Any thoughts? LNB maybe? Could rodents/squirrels chew thru coax? I’m at my wits end.

Edit: I’m now getting 775 error so I assume this is likely the PI or LNB? Again any help appreciated.

I’m using HR44-500 Genie w/MRV SWM LNB

Sounds like a bad lnb. Check your connections and your signal levels.

· Godfather
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a bad lnb. Check your connections and your signal levels.
Like I said in OP, my signals are in the 90s. Checked all connections and made sure everything was tight. Can’t check connections at dish as it is on the roof and I don’t have a tall enough ladder.

· Legend
1,250 Posts
not enough - you must unscrew each one and look inside for check a corrosion of central wire and moisture inside; I would recommend buying special gel, non-conductive, for such F-connectors and barrels and sockets on splitter/LNBF, switches
Do you have a link to such a gel?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,539 Posts

· Godfather
2,154 Posts
Like I said in OP, my signals are in the 90s. Checked all connections and made sure everything was tight. Can’t check connections at dish as it is on the roof and I don’t have a tall enough ladder.

If your connections are all good, it's most likely the lnb. But not having access means you will need to call Directv.

26,539 Posts
It has been my observation that moisture and heat issues don't come and go in the span of 10-20 seconds.

I'd suggest monitoring the outlet that the PI is plugged into.

· Godfather
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you use a drone with a camera to look at the LNBF? Checking plastic cover of waveguides on it. just in case, if it's broken and water coming inside, moistening PCBs inside :(
Man, I wish. I’ll have to get a 22’ ladder from someone and take a look.

· Godfather
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has been my observation that moisture and heat issues don't come and go in the span of 10-20 seconds.

I'd suggest monitoring the outlet that the PI is plugged into.
This is what I suspected. The PI was plugged into an old outlet in the attic. I ended up putting a new outlet in this morning and so far so good. I also ordered a new PI which will be here tomorrow.

· Godfather
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I replaced the outlier in my attic and have ordered a new PI. I will update the thread after a day or two of observations. Storms hitting the area today and tomorrow so I can’t get up on the roof for a few days. I’m guessing that it would probably be a good idea to replace the LNB if I bother to get a ladder and get on the roof.

26,539 Posts
I ended up putting a new outlet in this morning and so far so good.
Make sure you let us know whether the outlet turned out to be the problem. It should help in arriving at a more practical/pragmatic diagnostic approach in the future (and avoid a $426/day boom lift rental).

· Godfather
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
775 showed up again today on our genie. The sound however never went out but picture went to a newish looking screen with the 775 on it. I changed the channel and changed it back and the message went away. All signals in 90s. No weather in the area. Also, we did NOT get a 775 message on our HR24 which was watching the exact same channel upstairs. Could a tuner in my genie cause this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts