DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
No. That's not normal, although I'm not really familiar with how DirecTV works up in Dog River.

·
Icon
673 Posts
My signal meter (Birdog) shows lower signal strength during heat of the day. I cant comment on signal level you show on receivers. I never paid attention to be honest. You issue might be due to an old LNB or bad connectors, something has moisture that heats up and causes lower signal reception.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
I had a temperature sensitive LNB that would lose signal strength during the heat of the day. It finally would drop all my HD locals until was in the shade. A replacement cured it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
I have never noticed it but, you have 2 reliable sources that have.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
I've replaced many DirecTV and DishNetwork LNBs that started failing due to heat. It happens every summer. Statistically it's rare, but my little company replaces 3-4 a week for this reason, out of 30 jobs or so per day.

·
Legend
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for the info, i tried tweaking the other day with my son using walkie talkies :), he watched the screen while i did the important stuff, lol, i'm wondering just how much of a delay is there when turning an adjustment bolt till the signal change shows up, 1-2 seconds? just can't seem to bring the 99 or 103 levels into the 80's other than maybe a couple transponders hitting 80-81, during the day i sometimes see a few around 65, i have 101 signals in the 82-93 range but 119 levels aren't so great either68-80, would that suggest my tilt is off or is it really hard to say?

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
davring said:
I had a temperature sensitive LNB that would lose signal strength during the heat of the day. It finally would drop all my HD locals until was in the shade. A replacement cured it.
Yep, failing LNBs can definitely show that symptom.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
With respect to the original poster it is considerably hotter in Southern California and my signal strengths are consistent all day.

It could be nothing more than a cable that isn't quite tight enough to handle the expansion when the day heats up.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
iluvtv said:
thanks guys for the info, i tried tweaking the other day with my son using walkie talkies :), he watched the screen while i did the important stuff, lol, i'm wondering just how much of a delay is there when turning an adjustment bolt till the signal change shows up, 1-2 seconds? just can't seem to bring the 99 or 103 levels into the 80's other than maybe a couple transponders hitting 80-81, during the day i sometimes see a few around 65, i have 101 signals in the 82-93 range but 119 levels aren't so great either68-80, would that suggest my tilt is off or is it really hard to say?
Tilt (skew) has no real effect (unless it is way way off) on sats 101 or 103. Sat 99c sees a little signal strength change with tilt adjustments. If you adjust tilt, Use a sat 119 TP on the receivers signal strength meter. Make 2-3 degree changes at a time and wait 2-3 seconds between adjustments.

If your mast is plumb and the elevation and azimuth are close, you should be able to get sat 119 into the upper 80's or low 90's. If you can't, it might be time for a new dish (or at least a new LNB).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.