DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could an SATA Ghuru please explain what type of plug/cable is required to fit the external sata port on the HR20. It seems to be flat without the "J" and none of my sata cables fit. Is there such a thing as an external sata plug.
-john-

·
Mentor
38 Posts
ItsMeJTO said:
Could an SATA Ghuru please explain what type of plug/cable is required to fit the external sata port on the HR20. It seems to be flat without the "J" and none of my sata cables fit. Is there such a thing as an external sata plug.
-john-
You need an Esata to Sata cable. Try Fry's or Ebay.

·
AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jgriffin104 said:
You need an Esata to Sata cable. Try Fry's or Ebay.
Hm !! , oh well, wonder why " THEY " used a different connector to the ones on the drives and motherboards, especially when they are a little hard to find, especially locally. Thanks for the info, I learned something new today again ...

-john-

·
AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
P Smith said:
Wondereing ? Then read eSATA standard and you'll find why the connector if different. There was a link in eSATA thread.
Oh I'm sure there is, seem to remeber that one is stronger than the other, designed for frequent use, which is fine as long as I know now what the difference is, shame most of the sellers on ebay don't know the differences either.

·
AllStar
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P Smith said:
You got it right, make me wondering now why you did ask ;).
I asked because I wasn't aware there was a difference till I tried to use an sata cable, obviosly now, it was meant for an internal device. Thanks for the help though ............. oh I forgot, you didn't did you.

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
Long time reader New poster....I'm adding the seagate 750gb external drive to my hr-20..I need the correct cable to hook it up..Frys.com has esata to sata cables ..Is this what I need ?? Sorry new poster I can't provide link to web site..Thanks for your help..

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Welcome to the forums, tarheel115! :welcome_s

You want an eSATA to eSATA cable. I got mine at amazon, but many places including frys will have it.

Cheers,
Tom

·
AllStar
60 Posts
FYI, SATA and eSATA are very nearly the same thing.

The an eSATA cable is thicker (more shielding), which allows a maximum length of 2 meters (max length of plain old SATA is of 1 meter). The connector is different. The pin-out is exactly the same, but the internal SATA cable connection was only designed to withstand 50 insertions, which isn't robust enough for an external connection.

eSATA cable = thicker, more robust connector on each end.

Maybe you didn't need to know all that... :)

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
GollyGee said:
FYI, SATA and eSATA are very nearly the same thing.

The an eSATA cable is thicker (more shielding), which allows a maximum length of 2 meters (max length of plain old SATA is of 1 meter). The connector is different. The pin-out is exactly the same, but the internal SATA cable connection was only designed to withstand 50 insertions, which isn't robust enough for an external connection.

eSATA cable = thicker, more robust connector on each end.

Maybe you didn't need to know all that... :)
Good info..I just wanted to get the correct cable that will fit the back of the hr-20 and the seagate external hard drive Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.